Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your annual spending / net worth?
negative 0 0%
<100% 1 1.22%
<50% 3 3.66%
<25% 7 8.54%
<10% 14 17.07%
<5% 11 13.41%
<4% (FIRE) 20 24.39%
<3% 17 20.73%
<2% 7 8.54%
<1% (hi intercst!) 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

FIRE ratio 2007
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FIRE ratio 2007

OK, I'm curious on this number.

Take your 2006 annual spending number from this thread:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=11335.0

and your 1/1/2007 net worth number from this thread:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=11354.0

Divide the first by the second and check the first box that applies to you.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FIRE ratio 2007
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
[snips]

Take your 2006 annual spending

and your 1/1/2007 net worth

Divide the first by the second and check the first box that applies to you.

2Cor521
DOH, messed up your poll. I thought it was going to be spending vs annual income, so I put in "less than 50.%"

Since it is actually NW, I should have selected "less than 5%."
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'll nitpick first.

We track our spending based on our ER portfolio instead of our net worth. That way we don't have a false sense of security from counting the kid's college fund, my longboard money, or transient illiquid home equity.

But either way the result is less than 4%.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

If the house value is thrown in: 1.8%
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

IMHO home equity is the biggest bugaboo in a calculation like this, so I'm not surprised that it came up. I think most say it should be excluded from the calculations, but it can be pretty easy to go down a rat hole with this.

Personally I calculate my FIRE ratio on everything except my home - I include my mortgage payments but exclude my home value because I expect to own and live in this size house after retirement. I also include both the kids' college funds and the NPV of my contribution to their college expenses because I believe I would defer retirement to pay for their college.

I'm not sure what longboard money is or why you would exclude it, but to each his own.

My chief aim with the poll was to normalize the net worth poll according to spending and maybe give the board a sense of where people are in relation to hitting FIRE.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am assuming that many of the > 4% and perhaps many of the 4% represent people who are not retired, or who are perhaps not counting their pensions and possible other entitlements.

In another thread there is a card from Sam Zell emphasizing the worldwide scramble for yield that is going on, and the resulting outpouring of product made from securitizing formerly relatively illiquid income generating assets.

Many of us have had very good years on the portfolio appreciation front. (Unfortunately this does not include me to any great extent.) It might be good to remember that a better index of what we will be able to withdraw and spend over time is not what the portfolio is valued at, but how much cash flow it produces.

Ha
Old 01-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
It might be good to remember that a better index of what we will be able to withdraw and spend over time is not what the portfolio is valued at, but how much cash flow it produces.
Except for the many cases where this isn't true:

1) Zero coupon bonds withdraw > cash flow
2) Zero yield equities withdraw > cash flow
3) 4% yield equities withdraw <=> cash flow
3) Fixed rate bonds withdraw < cash flow
4) TIPS withdraw = cash flow
5) Commodities withdraw > cash flow

Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Except for the many cases where this isn't true:

1) Zero coupon bonds withdraw > cash flow
2) Zero yield equities withdraw > cash flow
3) 4% yield equities withdraw <=> cash flow
3) Fixed rate bonds withdraw < cash flow
4) TIPS withdraw = cash flow
5) Commodities withdraw > cash flow
I think I may not have been clear enough.

1) Zeros have an accrued cash flow. IMO, it should be adjusted for experienced cpi in the year.
2) I don't consider the payout of the equity as important as the underlying FCF of the company. So even where there is no payout, as for example Berkshire, one can estimate the FCF accrued to one's own holding. In fact Warren does this for equities held by Berkshire.
3) I don't understand this one.
4) TIPS are easy- the coupon payments are what should be counted, as we are trying to deal with real returns. IF bought at a discount to par, you can adjust for that.
5) Commodities are not investments. You buy corn, you sell corn. You either make a profit or loss. The securitization of things like commodities is what Sam Zell is talking about.

Ha
Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, I did the calculation and posted the results (6%) but it isn't really an SWR number because I used the traditional net worth calculation and included non-spendable assets, i.e. house and cars.

If I remove those non-spendable assets from the equation I come up with 10%. Not too shabby and not quite half-way there yet either for this not-so-young dreamer.
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote