Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Fire sale going on
Old 08-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brew you catch the Expedia spin? Seems a bit rich. I would take the Sabre Group with Travelocity over them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not my cup of tea. Expedia is in an industry that is changing relatively quickly. I prefer boring, long established, cash flowing businesses that the market either doesn't understand or are simply out of fashion.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Agreed.* However, I am an investment professional in the real world so I take great offense at being lumped in with the boiler-room crowd.
Just curious Brewer what type of investment professional are you in the real world. I am in the same industry just starting out. Work for a discount broker now. I have recently interviewed with a few small investment management firms for trader positions with hope of moving to portfolio management eventually. Currently CFA L2 candidate.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #24

Brewer

Time will tell which of us called it right. I'll check back in a few months. Mail-order DVD is super super hot.

Want a plug you guys? Give it a try, its freakin awesome.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

We keep toying with a netflix subscription, we just lose nerve once we start thinking about another monthly bill. We're just mental. . But all my coworker rave about the service.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Brewer

Time will tell which of us called it right.* *I'll check back in a few months.* Mail-order DVD is super super hot.* *

Want a plug you guys?* Give it a try, its freakin awesome.
Check back in 5 years. BBI will be out of the mail-order business, NFLX will still be a niche company, and MOVI will have paid off most of their debt and continue to spew free cash flow.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Curse you, Brewer, I'm almost sure that I have better things to do all day than to sit around analyzing small-caps with such great fundamentals and such ugly technicals.

I'm drooling. Tomorrow's open promises to be quite interesting.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Curse you, Brewer, I'm almost sure that I have better things to do all day than to sit around analyzing small-caps with such great fundamentals and such ugly technicals.

I'm drooling.* Tomorrow's open promises to be quite interesting.
Aw c'mon, Nords. Admit it, its fun. Mybe not as much fun as surfing (wouldn't know personally) but at least you can't get eaten by a shark.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #29

Call me boring, but it seems like another fine day to be holding the "black gold."
Old 08-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Not exactly a terrible day for PCRIX/DX either.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Agreed. However, I am an investment professional in the real world so I take great offense at being lumped in with the boiler-room crowd.
I'm in the industry too. Just curious, your employer lets you talk about personal holdings on the net? Around here I'd get chucked in a hurry for that.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Talk about personal holdings would get you canned? Wow.

I am in a tiny shop (just hired our 7th employee) and we don't deal with the public. So long as I'm not font running or anything like that, its not really a problem.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

From what little I know, Brewer12345's group isn't in the same segment of the industry as the firm he was discussing.*

As different as a muni bond analyst talking about a small consumer good company.* Completely different beasts.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Time will tell which of us called it right. I'll check back in a few months. Mail-order DVD is super super hot
I think it is a fad and only appeals to a small population
Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Aw c'mon, Nords. Admit it, its fun. Mybe not as much fun as surfing (wouldn't know personally) but at least you can't get eaten by a shark.
I don't know about that. I think the wall street sharks did a pretty nice job on many a portfolio since 2000.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
From what little I know, Brewer12345's group isn't in the same segment of the industry as the firm he was discussing.

As different as a muni bond analyst talking about a small consumer good company. Completely different beasts.
For my company it doesn't matter. I'm in the asset allocation / strategy group (so I don't even deal with specific issues) and we have been told many times that we can get pink slipped for discussing a specific issue on any bbs / discussion site.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Check back in 5 years.* BBI will be out of the mail-order business, NFLX will still be a niche company, and MOVI will have paid off most of their debt and continue to spew free cash flow.
Dunno about five years from now, Brewer, but there doesn't seem to be much Thursday-afternoon excitement about Friday's earnings release.* Either the news hasn't leaked and nobody cares... or the news HAS leaked and is reflected in new lows.* $20.75 seems to be a consensus value as of 1:30 EDT.

Berkshire Hathaway textile mills were a heckuva bargain at this price.* So were World Book & Dexter Shoes...

OTOH MOVI's current price is outside a Bollinger, which presumably predicts a Friday bounce.

We'll see how things look around 3-3:45 EDT today...

EDIT: 3:30 PM-- Well, someone thinks they know something. Tomorrow's news should be interesting, but I think I'll sleep in.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I dumpled 5k of gambling money into it! Might be me who pushed the price higher! Already up 3% and getting ready to dump after the good news - he,he - day trader me!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #39

I owned this stock a few years back when it was in the 14-16 range. At the time you could sell an otm call and make 5-6% in 30 days. Did that several times and lost the stock. Moved on with a smile.
This should be an interesting earnings call tomorrow.*
I have no dog in this fight, but I wouldn't touch this stock til their cards are on the table.* Far to much risk for this chicken.* OTOH, if the $$ and outlook are dynamite there may be a few dollars to be made in the runup, if you are nimble.
Damn sure has an interesting chart.
The Bollinger Bands almost qualify as artwork
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
I dumpled 5k of gambling money into it! Might be me who pushed the price higher!
Thanks a lot, bud, I could tell when you got back from lunch... next time post here first!

If you looked at the last 30 minutes' volume there was a tremendous rush to either get in the door or to cover & get the heck out. Both were great for the price.