Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The former is far ahead of the latter in cap gains...

... but the latter is always more educational.
I always learn more from my mistakes than from my successes. That is true in investing, homebrewing, marriage, etc. Maybe some day I will get good at learning from others' mistakes, although I suppose that is what I got for the grad school tuition and CFA blood, sweat and tears.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It still isn't clear to me that NFLX will ever make enough money to justify the stock price.

I'm a lot more interested in businesses that flow obscene amounts of cash.
Since we're all picking on Brewer...NFLX prices then and now:

11/17/2005: $25.74
5/3/2010: $101.88

So it outperformed the S&P by about 250% (the S&P was basically flat).

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #83

The moral of the story in individual stock picking (not that I do much of it any more) is to cut losses short with a stop and let the gains ride with a trailing stop.

If you do it right you can profit even if you are wrong 60-70% of the time because your gains will be larger than your losses. That's sort of like a .300 hitting baseball player being a "star" even if he fails 70% of the time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Since we're all picking on Brewer...NFLX prices then and now:

11/17/2005: $25.74
5/3/2010: $101.88

So it outperformed the S&P by about 250% (the S&P was basically flat).

What I missed was the massive paradigm shift in this business. I tend to stick with boring businesses and avoid things like tech, drugs, etc. because I know I cannot call big transformational shifts. This underscores it, I guess. Suppose I should stick to boring businesses from now on, which reflects my portfolio (if you count reinsurance as boring).

- Will Rogers
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The moral of the story in individual stock picking (not that I do much of it any more) is to cut losses short with a stop and let the gains ride with a trailing stop.

If you do it right you can profit even if you are wrong 60-70% of the time because your gains will be larger than your losses. That's sort of like a .300 hitting baseball player being a "star" even if he fails 70% of the time.
Tell me about it.

I like to go bargain shopping too, and have sold out stocks when I doubled my money, only to kick myself to see they kept rising to 5X or more. I have also hanged on to real losers, and occasionally rode them down to bankruptcy.

Still, I have survived and even beat the S&P in the last 10 years. Of course I am still learning from my mistakes.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What I missed was the massive paradigm shift in this business. I tend to stick with boring businesses and avoid things like tech, drugs, etc. because I know I cannot call big transformational shifts.
That is actually pretty similar to what Warren Buffett has said and has been part of his aversion to investing in tech.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

There is always more than 1 way to make money...
And then, there are even more ways to lose it...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That is actually pretty similar to what Warren Buffett has said and has been part of his aversion to investing in tech.
I can understand his aversion.

Actually, as I get closer to my goal I am just waiting for my big holdings to hit my price targets and then will be selling out in favor of wide diversification. I will probably always keep ten percent of the portfolio or so for individual securities, but once I am FI I will be strictly controlling this amount to a modest level.

Now to hit a few price targets...

- Will Rogers