Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A few thoughts.

I find it often helps to read all the posts in a thread before posting myself.

FIRECalc max success rate is 100%. The posts touting a higher number were tongue in cheek. Most everyone got that.

Major Tom, that was a very nice post. Thank you.

We’re a friendly group here, polite and respectful discussion with friendly disagreement are our most important characteristics.
Yep. Of course they were having fun!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
I call total BS on the claims of FIRECalc outputting success rates like 110%, 200% etc.

Why are people saying this BS? And why would anyone believe it? Maybe they don't know what it means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I think what you're saying is that if historically, a certain WR led to success 100% of the time, there is no way that WR could have been successful any more times. I get that, but to use the language you used, and "call BS on it" is a bit harsh, in my opinion. As daylatedollarshort is saying, if someone has 80K income, but only spends 40K, saying that they have a 200% success rate is merely a way of expressing that. We understand what they are saying, and that's what matters, surely?

This forum has long been characterized by civil discourse, and I for one prefer the spirit of understanding my fellow forum members, than "calling BS on them" - unless they are purposely peddling untruths, in which case it is warranted. Such scoundrels deserve to be sent packing

A little understanding goes a long way.
This is an extremely cruel and nasty personal attack, and I am deeply hurt by it.

I am trying to help people by alerting them to the fact that there are serious misunderstandings about the output of retirement calculators.

While there were some ">100%" comments made in jest by posters who knew what's going on (and who should lighten up on my wording, which simply tries to convey the message), there are clearly several posters who absolutely did not get it, and possibly still do not get it. Read the thread carefully and you'll see several posts indicating serious misunderstandings

There are potentially very serious consequences for these misunderstandings. I did the right thing trying to set the record straight, and I don't appreciate being attacked for it.
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #83
Administrator

Why don't you give it a rest.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 200% comment was intended to mean 100% success rate at 2X my current annual spend. My apologies if this created any confusion.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
My 200% comment was intended to mean 100% success rate at 2X my current annual spend. My apologies if this created any confusion.
I think that's they way most people understood your post.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #86

Quote:
This is an extremely cruel and nasty personal attack, and I am deeply hurt by it.

I am trying to help people by alerting them to the fact that there are serious misunderstandings about the output of retirement calculators.

While there were some ">100%" comments made in jest by posters who knew what's going on (and who should lighten up on my wording, which simply tries to convey the message), there are clearly several posters who absolutely did not get it, and possibly still do not get it. Read the thread carefully and you'll see several posts indicating serious misunderstandings

There are potentially very serious consequences for these misunderstandings. I did the right thing trying to set the record straight, and I don't appreciate being attacked for it.
If you're genuinely interested in helping to correct misunderstandings, then the best approach, I'm thinking, would be to quote the specific posts that you think are missing the mark, and attempt to explain, kindly, where you think they are going wrong.

Most folk come here to share their knowledge and to learn from others. If there is an alternate point of view, or something someone says is just flat-out wrong, the majority of folk here welcome the input, but it has to be explained to us. Saying things like "I call BS" and "Do you get it yet?" are not helpful.

To use your own words, "Do you get it yet?"

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think that's they way most people understood your post.
I’m afraid that also puts me in the minority, then, of those who didn’t understand whence came the greater than 100% success rates (but was too lazy to ask; if I followed up asking questions of every forum post that I didn’t understand I’d be on the internet 27 hours a day.)

As to FIRE Calc, of the three calculators I’ve used (Fidelity’s, Pralana Gold, and FIRE Calc) it seems to yield the most optimistic results for our particular retirement plan and isn’t able to handle simulation of some of the permutations I was interested in exploring.
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
...alternate point of view...
Could you please clearly spell out what this refers to. In the context if this thread, what exactly is it that you are referring to as "point of view" and what exactly is it that you are referring to as "alternate point of view". What statement(s) are you characterizing as "alternate"? What facts are you disputing?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna152 View Post
...if I followed up asking questions of every forum post that I didn’t understand I’d be on the internet 27 hours a day.
Yes, but if you're retired 48 hours per day, then you'll still have plenty of time left over.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Could you please clearly spell out what this refers to. In the context if this thread, what exactly is it that you are referring to as "point of view" and what exactly is it that you are referring to as "alternate point of view". What statement(s) are you characterizing as "alternate"? What facts are you disputing?
I think a definition is in order:
Attached Images
File Type: png obfuscation.PNG (12.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, but if you're retired 48 hours per day, then you'll still have plenty of time left over.
....but there’s only 100 minutes in an hour and 40 hours in a day
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ready stated pretty clearly in the post above the 200% post was meant to imply being able to spend twice what they were and still get 100% in firecalc, which is what many posters here assumed was the intent.

The Fidelity readiness score goes to 150, meaning one could spend 50% more than what was input, but that seems to be the highest it goes. Any safer spend rates just gets ranked 150+.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

When I went to school, there was no A+ grade. The top grade was an A which was a 4.0 and that was it. I recently learned that there are schools that now have an A+ grade which is more than 4.0.

Of what use is that, one asks. Surely, it helps in that if you score an A+ in a class, it would help another class where you may get just a B+. The average of the two brings you back up to an A.

I say FIRECalc output should be changed to award 200% to those who are chintzy, er, frugal.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I say FIRECalc output should be changed to award 200% to those who are chintzy, er, frugal.
For some of the more financially conservative types around here, that could be a decidedly bad thing. You just know there'd be a few poor souls caught in an endless OMY loop, due to the perceived need to hit a 500% success rate before feeling comfortable quitting work!

I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't be one of them

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the meaningfulness of the success rate depends on the budget. You are better off with a lower success rate at a budget where you could painlessly reduce 20% of expenses (wants) versus a higher success rate at a budget where you need every penny to keep the lights on and food on the table (needs).

My goal was +95% success with a comfortable budget that can absorb some cuts. I'm pulling the plug in a few weeks with a 99% Firecalc success rate that includes SS; however, my portfolio is 27x expenses without SS AND my budget is pretty fatty. See you on the other side of FIRE.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I went to school, there was no A+ grade. The top grade was an A which was a 4.0 and that was it. I recently learned that there are schools that now have an A+ grade which is more than 4.0.

Of what use is that, one asks. Surely, it helps in that if you score an A+ in a class, it would help another class where you may get just a B+. The average of the two brings you back up to an A.
Hijack

It's worse than that on grades... There are weighted classes - and the weights have different values. IB and AP courses give 5.0 for an A. (As well as possible college credit.) Honors courses go up to 4.5 points for an A.

This has caused grade inflation. We toured colleges this past summer and one of the data points provided was median GPA of admitted freshman. All of the colleges we looked at had median GPAs above 4.0. Most in the 4.1-4.3 range. These were public schools, albeit better/sought after ones. (Cal Berkeley, UCLA, Cal Poly SLO, UCSB).

This means you not only need to get straight A's - You need a large proportion of weighted grades with straight A's. My older son has 6 weighted classes, 2 unweighted. (I tried to talk him out of such an intense schedule)... But if he can pull off enough A's it will help him qualify for these schools.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #97

Quote:

I was hoping you were going to explain that you got it to output 100% financial success while living twice as long.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #98
Gone but not forgotten

Probably totally offtopic, but just for fun, I plugged in my portfolio and expenses as of my retirement date 29 years ago.... and came up with a 70% success rate.
Current numbers show 100%. Whether frugality or just dumb luck, it all worked out, and current assets are almost exactly the same as in 1989.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Probably totally offtopic, but just for fun, I plugged in my portfolio and expenses as of my retirement date 29 years ago.... and came up with a 70% success rate.
Current numbers show 100%. Whether frugality or just dumb luck, it all worked out, and current assets are almost exactly the same as in 1989.
A 70% success rate is not bad, and your success supports the information FIRECalc provides is historically reliable.

Thanks for being a test case.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #100

100% plus. Built in room to leave a legacy.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote