Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dream date is April 1, 2016, a Friday, and the day before my 46th birthday. But, we'll see when we get there. I can see myself chickening out at the last minute and hanging around the office awhile longer, especially if the economy happens to be tanking around that point. So, I guess I'll put NLT2020 as my goal!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aiming for 2014-2015, will be mid 40s.

Like others depends on economy until then and perception of economy at that point, also depends on whether dog and cat are still around.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #43

I'd like to join this club. My previous, much too optimistic. plan was to save like crazy for three years and retire Jan 1, 2011. While I did okay with the saving, a couple unexpected job changes and a very uncooperative stock market kept me from growing my nest egg like I wanted. From where I am now, a very safe plan would be to double the current nest egg, so I'd like to get that done by 2020. What do we do, once we join this club?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Great, I'm in. What else do we do after signing up for the club?
Well the plan is to bump this thread every quarter or half year and see how we are doing. I think it will be useful in demonstrating the benefits of planning for an exact date or lessons learned along the way
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #45

It might already be in the forum somewhere, but what about ideas for us to do a self check and approximate timing/frequency ... to see where we are in our planning/execution.

- Complete FIRECalc, other retirement calcs
- Do we have a realistic budget for our current/retirement budgets?
- Do we have a spreadsheet tracking our assets (taxable, 401k/403b, - Roth, pension estimates, SSN estimates, etc)
- Things to consider Will(s), Trust(s), insurance, etc.
- Health care sources for quotes and strategies

I'm sure there are more to consider, but just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Well the plan is to bump this thread every quarter or half year and see how we are doing. I think it will be useful in demonstrating the benefits of planning for an exact date or lessons learned along the way
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #46

No offence, but this is one club I would really hate to become a member of....target retirement date is one of Feb 2012, Feb 2013 or Feb 2014 (+ whatever part of my six months notice period they make me work through sit at my desk surfing the Internet).
Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
It might already be in the forum somewhere, but what about ideas for us to do a self check and approximate timing/frequency ... to see where we are in our planning/execution...

Two things I did this year that I think will help me along the 10-year journey:

• (incomplete, but making progress) Consolidating various IRA and 529 accounts with one mutual fund provider / brokerage. Easier to manage, easier to track.
  • The company I picked is low-cost - Vanguard. An extra 0.2 - 0.5% return will pay off measurably over 10 years.
Resolutions for 2011:
  • Increase 457(b) contributions at work by 4% of my salary. This is equal to the 2% reduction in SS contributions for 2011 (painless) + redirecting a 1% reduction in existing employee pension deductions (also painless) + finding 1% out of my current take home
  • Educate 21-year-old DD on successfully achieving financial independence from the Bank of Mom & Dad
  • Make a start in tracking expenses in an organized way (not sure how I will measure progress on this one yet)
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
My tentative target date is May 2013. OK, everyone—
Ready.....
Aim......
FIRE!!
Yea, me too! 05/2013. Are you a Taurus?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #49

I'll go ahead and sign up for 12/31/2020, with a big * next to it for "tentative".

The major unknown is that I'm a single 34 year old male. We'll see what sweet talking grandoise plans I can hatch with the unknown future Mrs. Bonds ....along with what impact future kiddos will have on the budget.

As of right now, things could turn out well for ringing in 2021 on a most pleasant note, based on current portfolio, slight real returns (2%/yr), and most probable inheiritance factors (which aren't really something I'm heavily betting on - more like 'they would speed it up to 2020 vs 2025 or 2027').

It'll be interesting to see what the next 10 years brings. I know in 2000, I never would have expected to be where I'm at currently, so hopefully the next 10 years will bring continued blessings!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Aiming for January 2014 on 56th birthday.
FREEDOM!
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
My tentative target date is May 2013. OK, everyone—
Ready.....
Aim......
FIRE!!
Yea, me too! 05/2013. Are you a Taurus?
No, I don't believe in astrology. I chose that date because it's an even number of years before I'm eligible for full Social Security benefits at age 66 + 4 months.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #52

I am aiming at July 2012, at age 47. Who knows I may have to w*rk a bit longer.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote