Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FIRE to Canada
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like Toronto. My cousin lives there.

The cons:
The traffic is congested during commute hours -- not too different from any other metropolitan areas. It seems that a lot of people living in high rises. I personally prefer to live a single family home. 15% sales tax.

The pros:
It has a lots of Asian grocery stories and restaurants. The Asian food is excellent since many of the top chefs left Hong Kong (before 1997) to Canada and also inexpensive because of fierce competition. The city has many museums, gardens, theaters, book stores, shops, etc. The city also has a professional baseball team. Academic institution - University of Toronto.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I like Toronto. My cousin lives there.

The cons:
The traffic is congested during commute hours -- not too different from any other metropolitan areas. It seems that a lot of people living in high rises. I personally prefer to live a single family home. 15% sales tax.

The pros:
It has a lots of Asian grocery stories and restaurants. The Asian food is excellent since many of the top chefs left Hong Kong (before 1997) to Canada and also inexpensive because of fierce competition. The city has many museums, gardens, theaters, book stores, shops, etc. The city also has a professional baseball team. Academic institution - University of Toronto.
Spanky - We'll most likely rent in a high rise...just a matter of which neighborhood....so that's why the asian food was so good...

Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Will be applying from Europe, seems to take about a year from here.
The points system is very generous now, have a degree?, meet the age criteria?, and its reasonably straightforward or so I've been advised (reliable source).

Question for the wise: In Canada :-

1. How far will US$24k go?
(sole yearly pre-tax income, single person basis)

2. Housing wise, how far will US$250k go?
thanks

1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #44

Dan,

Living in a high rise has some positives: no garden work and a great view of the city.

Have you thought about Vancouver? The climate is more moderate than that of Toronto. Vancouver also has a large asisan community.

Spanky
Old 08-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Dan,

Living in a high rise has some positives: no garden work and a great view of the city.

Have you thought about Vancouver? The climate is more moderate than that of Toronto. Vancouver also has a large asisan community.

Spanky
Spanky - Yes, I would like to spend a few months there also...Actually I want to spend a few months at a time in a lot of places...NY, Boston, Paris, Northern Italy(will be there in November this year hopefully Northwest is still flying),etc....keep the home base in Minnesota and go to these other places once or twice a year...most likely in winter....that's part of my FIRE dream...Living in other places not just trips...and I'm trying to make it be true. Best regards
DanTien
Old 08-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Dan,

Spanky
Rain, Rain, Rain & More Rain, If not Rain Clouds and More Clouds. wit long enough and you may see the sun

SWR
Old 08-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Rain, Rain, Rain & More Rain, If not Rain Clouds and More Clouds. wit long enough and you may see the sun

SWR
Similar to what folks down the coast get....Oregonians don't tan they rust. ...

Old 08-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

ER@40, I sent you a PM in answer to your questions.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
are you near Vancouver and if so how do you like it...
Close enough and far enough. But it's awful where I am. Honestly.

Quote:
sounds like you have experience with Toronto...what part did you live in?
It's been a long time. I'm there about once a year now and, aside from visiting friends, I really don't see the point.

Quote:
We want to rent an apartment part of the year in a BIG, noisy city again
Bangkok, Seoul, Mexico City, ... Oh, you want snow and noise. How about Montreal?

Quote:
N-O-T-L is a nice place to visit...
Exactly. The whole place has been re-engineered to accommodate visitors. Residents can get stuffed. It's not the only place like that. It's happened with Whistler too in Canada. In the US, the best example I know personally is New Hope, PA, which was a hell of a nice place to live 30 years ago and has turned into a Potemkin village, just like NOTL.

Quote:
Feh?...Oy!, you nebish, you and your big words, I've become ferklempt with your mishegas about this here shtetl and the pastiche de disney! You meshugina...you and your cockamamie kvetching
You're stretching my Yiddish skills.

<Red_y>: That's very misleading. It only shows federal income taxes. Most US states have a pretty light hand when it comes to their own taxes. In Canada, the lowest provincial taxes are higher than the highest state taxes anywhere. So be careful.

<ER@40>:
Quote:
In Canada :-

On US$24k, you make about $4k on the exchange rate and you lose it to income tax, so you end up with about C$2k a month to live on. For some, that will support a very reasonable lifestyle; for others, not. Food is as cheap in Canada as in the US. Rents depend on location. Clothes are more expensive but, hell, FIREes are supposed to shop at thrift stores, right? Public transit is reasonable, gas is hideously expensive, medical care is "free". It wouldn't be grand but it wouldn't be penury either.

US$250k for housing will go far in a lot of places. You probably have to rule out metro Toronto and Vancouver completely. But there are lots of other places with much lower prices. C$200k will do you nicely in lots of places. You can always go whole hog. Look around long enough at http://www.mls.ca and I'll bet you can get well under $50k if you'll settle for a dying town on the bald prairie or a dead mill town on the BC coast or an abandoned outport in Newfoundland.

<ShokWaveRider>:
Quote:
Thanks, SWR. You're right. It's awful here.

You may think I'm teasing. That's only partly true. Anyone contemplating a move to Vancouver or environs should be encouraged to spend a January and February there before finalizing any decision. It is really grey in the winter.
I&#039;d rather be sailing.
nfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40

thanks

$250K US will buy you the following house in Calgary. Located approximately 15 minutes to downtown.

http://pictures.mls.ca/mls/reb9/highres/7/c31827071.jpg

Old 08-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

quote author=ER@40 link=topic=4013.msg68237#msg68237 date=1125112198]
Will be applying from Europe, seems to take about a year from here.
The points system is very generous now, have a degree?, meet the age criteria?, and its reasonably straightforward or so I've been advised (reliable source).

Question for the wise: In Canada :-

thanks

My application from Europe took 6 weeks. Could not have been easier and it only took 2 hours to fill out the paperwork. I did the skilled points test and I think the points were more difficult at that time a couple of years ago. Virutally anybody who is not too old and has a degree in a fairly useful field combined with a little experience and no serious health issues will get in.

U$24K is very doable. It may be a little tight in a metro like Vancouver. I don't know from which European country you will be applying from but Canada is overall cheaper than the EU. It is beautiful and so many friendly folks. It can get cold in some areas in the winter though. I would love to live there again but I did not find it a good place to make a decent paycheck and unfortunately I am still building the nest egg.

All houses sold through a realtor (and that is the majority of them), are listed on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). Their website is www.mls.ca and is the equivalent of the US site www.realtor.com

Vicky
Old 08-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Rain, Rain, Rain & More Rain, If not Rain Clouds and More Clouds. wit long enough and you may see the sun*

SWR
That's why I love Calgary - the highest number of sunniest days in the year. Even in the winter, it could be downright cold but bring out the sun and it doesn't feel as bad. Vancouver is just depressing if you ask me.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
That's why I love Calgary - the highest number of sunniest days in the year.* Even in the winter, it could be downright cold but bring out the sun and it doesn't feel as bad.* Vancouver is just depressing if you ask me.
I didn't know that about Calgary. I don't think of Canada as a particularly sunny place, but I 've only been to Toronto (a big, cosmopolitan city) and Niagara (disneyesque, but pleasant to visit). That's what I like about Colorado and New Mexico. I find that the grey weather in the Northeast makes me more and more depressed with each passing winter.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
... That's what I like about Colorado and New Mexico.
New Mexico ...vaguely recall some discussion about little ol' texas & New Mexico...were there any places in New Mexico people were fond of.....
oops sorry don't want to divert from Canada topic...
Old 08-27-2005, 07:09 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
New Mexico ...vaguely recall some discussion about little ol' texas & New Mexico...were there any places in New Mexico people were fond of.....
DW and I both really liked Taos. Its a vibrant place with lots of culture, but hasn't been overdeveloped (yet). The scenery around Taos is spectacular (Gorge Bridge, etc.).

We were disappointed by Santa Fe. It has lots of museums and other interesting stuff, but the place has been overdeveloped (bad sprawl problem) and it seemed to us that the moneyed crowd had arrived and bid the price of everything up. Santa Fe seemed a lot less genuine than Taos.

As I understand it, southern NM is a lot hotter than northern NM. We were in northern NM in April and it was warm during the day yet cooled off nicely at night. Many of the houses in the area don't bother with air conditioning for exactly that reason (plus adobe insulates astonishingly well).

- Will Rogers
Old 08-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #56

Thanks brewer - Are you a home brewer?....good to read your take on Taos..I was hoping it was not yet a high-roller spot such as what I've read about Santa Fe...
Old 08-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I am a homebrewer.

Taos hasn't been overdone yet like Santa Fe, but if the real estate boom doesn't pop soon, I suspect its just a matter of time. Right now it is a major bargain to rent in Taos rather than buying. AS lot of that is simply second home buying and speculation.

Hey, you can even buy or rent an earthship near Taos. We ran into the most, um, unique personalities I have met since my college days (and DW and I met in a cooperative dorm that had co-ed cattle showers).

- Will Rogers
Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(and DW and I met in a cooperative dorm that had co-ed cattle showers).
(Sorry Brewer, but I just can't help it...) So, did you bump into her in the shower or did one of your dorm buddies point her out to you?

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
(Sorry Brewer, but I just can't help it...)* So, did you bump into her in the shower or did one of your dorm buddies point her out for you?* *

REW
Actually, I didn't get a free showing (of DW) until we were already involved.

Frankly, after a few weeks, the cattle showers weren't that big a deal. You just kind of asked the person next to you to pass the shampoo regardless of whether they were male or female. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that external indications of male arousal probably would have been frowned upon. Since I worked through college and my shift started at 6:45 AM, I rarely saw anyone else, at least during the week.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Hey, you can even buy or rent an earthship near Taos. We ran into the most, um, unique personalities I have met since my college days (and DW and I met in a cooperative dorm that had co-ed cattle showers).
OK..I'll bite what is an earthship...I'm also being bombarded by all kinds of images having to do with co-ed cattle showers in a dorm...where did you go - Texas A&M?

I brewed but not home...at a brewery..my favorite was Horny Toad Pale Ale
Smooth, crisp character, floral yet somewhat bitter flavor and slightly fruity finish...
Ahhh!...good finish...