Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FIRE to Canada
Old 08-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
OK..I'll bite what is an earthship...I'm also being bombarded by all kinds of images having to do with co-ed cattle showers in a dorm...where did you go - Texas A&M?

I brewed but not home...at a brewery..my favoraite was Horny Toad Pale Ale
Smooth, crisp character, floral yet somewhat bitter flavor and slightly fruity finish...
Ahhh!...good finish...
Earthships are houses, mostly built nprth of Taos. They are intended to be partially or completely self-sufficient, using some or all of the following: passive solar, active solar, water collecting and recycling, windmills, you name it. They range from spartan to hippie mcmansion (we saw a huge one - like 10k sq ft - with a stretch hummer parked outside). Pretty neat, IMO, if somewhat of a novelty. www.earthship.org

Actually, the house we rented outside of Taos (Dixon, NM) was really cool. It was designed and built by an artist who was trained as an architect. Unique design, built from adibe and strawbale construction, it had all kinds of snazzy features, like a huge geranium planter in the livingroom that was fed with the grey water from the house. It was at the end of a long dirt road and backed up to thousands of acres of BLM land. Really cool.

We both went to Oberlin College. Some of the dorms there are cooperatives. They are owned and run by the students via a mutual corporation. Pretty unique and an interesting institution. Definately showed me how long it takes to do anything by consensus.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2005, 08:31 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://oberwiki.net/index.php?title=Harkness_House

Little snippet on where we met at the link above. The climbing wall in the elevator shaft thing is true. There also used to be an annual "bike derby" where the last bike still actually being ridden was the winner (no other rules and no holes barred). My next door neighbor made a bong out of a 5 gallon water jug. The thing had 8 hoses and blew an 1/8 of an ounce at a time. Guess where I made my first homebrew?

Ah, happy days...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I'm also being bombarded by all kinds of images having to do with co-ed cattle showers in a dorm...where did you go - Texas A&M?
Dan, is A&M the first that came to mind when you thought of "cow college"?

"Hook 'Em, Horns!"

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
... (no other rules and no holes barred).
Thought the term was no "holds" barred, but guess you had to be there...

REW

Old 08-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
http://oberwiki.net/index.php?title=Harkness_House

Little snippet on where we met at the link above. The climbing wall in the elevator shaft thing is true. There also used to be an annual "bike derby" where the last bike still actually being ridden was the winner (no other rules and no holes barred). My next door neighbor made a bong out of a 5 gallon water jug. The thing had 8 hoses and blew an 1/8 of an ounce at a time. Guess where I made my first homebrew?

Ah, happy days...
Plenty of symbolism any Oberlin English or Psych grad would appreciate with that going up and down in an elevator shaft...that's the kind of bike race I could win... I'm a tough guy to beat when it comes to coming in last...please don't start with the bonging...I'm dating myself...but I'm from the hookah era...
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Dan, is A&M the first that came to mind when you thought of "cow college"?

"Hook 'Em, Horns!"

REW
Longhorns don't shower!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Thought the term was no "holds" barred, but guess you had to be there...

REW
All holes bared at my school..Go Leathernecks
Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #68

Quote:
...I'm dating myself...but I'm from the hookah era...
So...? Since it's the word's oldest profession, what's the big deal?

REW

Old 08-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #69

Quote:
So...? Since it's the word's oldest profession, what's the big deal?

REW
finally someone who understands...
Old 08-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I didn't know that about Calgary.* I don't think of Canada as a particularly sunny place, but I 've only been to Toronto (a big, cosmopolitan city) and Niagara (disneyesque, but pleasant to visit).* That's what I like about Colorado and New Mexico.* I find that the grey weather in the Northeast makes me more and more depressed with each passing winter.
Yup, Calgary has the highest number of sunny days per year: on average 297. Sorry, but you can't judge the rest of Canada by Toronto, which has pollution, traffic, smog, humidity. You couldn't pay me enough money to live there!

You definitely need to come out to Calgary.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, especially: Red_y & vic & nfs & Calgary_Girl.

1. Real Estate wise, any guesses on the premium for big city life, perhaps another US$50k-100k?

2. Costs of living premium for a big city?
Assuming one owns and not rents, is not a car owner, wondering what other costs (obvious or stealthy) that may impact ER?

For instance are property taxes a lot higher in places like Toronto and Vancouver versus suburban or rural life? How do these compare with US cities? (Prefer the countryside, but thinking of living in or near a city at first to A. get my bearings, and B. to meet new people - being single)
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Of course, you can also immigrate if you have relatives here who are willing to sponsor you.
Calgary_Girl,
I have a 1st cousin living in Toronto. It looks like if he sponsored me, he would be financially responsible for me for 10 years. Although we're close enough, I don't see him taking that type of responsibility even though I may be wealthier than him.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:18 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
All houses sold through a realtor (and that is the majority of them), are listed on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). Their website is www.mls.ca and is the equivalent of the US site www.realtor.com
Anyone know of a US Property site where you can SEARCH based on a specific address, street name or full zip code?

Curious if MLS past price histories are available on the net, or is this restricted to realtors only?
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Calgary_Girl,
I have a 1st cousin living in Toronto. It looks like if he sponsored me, he would be financially responsible for me for 10 years. Although we're close enough, I don't see him taking that type of responsibility even though I may be wealthier than him.
They've actually changed the rules now so that he would only have to sponsor you for 3 years I believe. DH and I missed the cutoff by 1 month so I'm stuck with him for 10 (only 6 to go...)!!! :
Old 08-28-2005, 11:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40

For instance are property taxes a lot higher in places like Toronto and Vancouver versus suburban or rural life? How do these compare with US cities? (Prefer the countryside, but thinking of living in or near a city at first to A. get my bearings, and B. to meet new people - being single)
Property taxes in Calgary are less than 1 percent. They are actually 0.85% I believe.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:38 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
NOT So! I am a Canadian, American and EU Citizen, I hold all 3 passports and it is perfectly legal. When I got my Citizenship they specifically stated, that we did not have to renounce our source country citizenship.

SWR
There are only 3 ways to lose your US citizenship

1) go to US consulate and formally renounce
2) accept "policy making" position in foregin (non-US) government
3) bear arms against US.

This is present justice department interpretation. They have ruled that you must "intend" to not be US citizen. Merely accepting citizenship in another country does not suffice to show such intent.

Neither US nor Canada recognize dual citizenship--in general no country does. But they continue to consider you citizen of their country even though you may hold other citizenships (although there are exceptions in Canada--long story--I fell into one of these cracks in that I was born in Canada but not considered a citizen--so called "lost Canadian", but that is nearly all sorted out now).

The reason I am familiar with these issues is because I have run afoul of them. Story is too long for general consumption. But Since 1977, both countries "tolerate" their citizens to hold other citizenships as well.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 AM   #77

Quote:

My application from Europe took 6 weeks. Could not have been easier and it only took 2 hours to fill out the paperwork. I did the skilled points test and I think the points were more difficult at that time a couple of years ago. Virutally anybody who is not too old and has a degree in a fairly useful field combined with a little experience and no serious health issues will get in.

I'm not sure who wrote this, but if they are talking about a skilled worker immigration application, I would take this with a grain of salt. Even family class applications, which are given priority, typically take 6 months to process. Skilled worker, depending on the Visa post, typically 18-24 months.

The application may only take 2 hours to fill out, but putting together all the documentation that goes with it (letters from employers, payroll info, marriage, birth, language proficiency statements, on and on) will take you a while. You must get (FBI or whatever country's equivalent) police check which typically takes 6 weeks just for that. You must have medical examination from a designated medical practicioner, and this must be sent to Ottawa and looked at. Typical time just for the medical clearence--3 months. And usually, they won't even send you the forms for the medical until after you have passed the initial screening, for skilled worker class. AFTER your police check is received, you must get clearance from the Canadian Security Service. 6 weeks--no way. Maybe under some sort of refugee grant or special program, but not under skilled worker.

Unless things have changed A LOT in 1 year. I had to immigrate back to Canada as a skilled worker even though I was born there. They put me to the front of the line and rescinded the points requirements and most of the medical criteria, to enable "lost Canadians" to return. Even then, it took me 6 months (while others applying at the same time as bona fide skilled workers took 18 months)

Still, it's not that bad. But to get the thing processed in 6 weeks--you gotta have friends high up in Ottawa. Maybe Joe Volpe, or Paul Martin.

But don't take my word for it. There are websites that track the wait. If anyone cares, I can probably find them again and post them.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:58 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
That's why I love Calgary - the highest number of sunniest days in the year. Even in the winter, it could be downright cold but bring out the sun and it doesn't feel as bad. Vancouver is just depressing if you ask me.
gawdawful traffic, though. Maybe I'm just spoiled (live in Golden, BC 1/2 the year). Whenever I have to go to the Calgary airport, it just crawls for miles.

Great shopping though...no PST!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
gawdawful traffic, though. Maybe I'm just spoiled (live in Golden, BC 1/2 the year). Whenever I have to go to the Calgary airport, it just crawls for miles.

I lived in Calgary for 6 years before moving to the US. The "OutLaws" still live in the Northeast. I found when I lived there, and still do now when I visit that prices are somewhat higher than Ontario and make up for the PST. Booze is more expensive as are appliances, furniture etc.

SWR
Old 08-29-2005, 08:26 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
gawdawful traffic, though.* Maybe I'm just spoiled (live in Golden, BC 1/2 the year).* Whenever I have to go to the Calgary airport, it just crawls for miles.

You're kidding right? DH and I travel a lot and I've NEVER seen traffic crawl on the way to the airport. Now, the actual line ups at the airport when checking in are a different story...