Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FIRE to Canada
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
You're kidding right? DH and I travel a lot and I've NEVER seen traffic crawl on the way to the airport. Now, the actual line ups at the airport when checking in are a different story...
Not so much the actual airport but HW 1 ( I think it is 1, the E/W road north of downtown). I had to go to the airport once in May and 3 times in July, and everytime it was just awful getting across town. A couple of people told me not even to think about driving into the actual downtown during the business day.

Admittedly, it could have been time of day, etc. I have to come in on HW 1 from the west and make it clear across town. It's 2 lanes each way, and no limited access.

All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to live there to work--nice town, maybe a bit of the expected growing pains. Plus, Alberta is rocking right now--great economy. But for me, RE involves something a little less urban.

I have always loved Canada and always knew that I would return. But I will say that Canadians have not figured out how to do urban traffic. Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver are all bad, from what I've seen. Vancouver is the worst. Seattle is bad, but at least it has freeways. In Vancouver, they vanish when you get to town and you are dumped on urban arterials.

I admit, limited data points.

Hey CG, you and DH skiers? If so...see you at Kicking Horse this winter!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But don't take my word for it.* There are websites that track the wait.* If anyone cares, I can probably find them again and post them.*
The most common site for informally posting timelines for Skilled Worker immigration to Canada is here: http://www.yogi799.com/timeline/

My timeline from the US was 15 months, which included retaking some x-rays on the medical exam and a 10-week wait for the results of the FBI fingerprint/security check.

I follow the British Expats forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 and they are saying that 24-36 months is now a normal waiting time for those applying from Britain.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
Not so much the actual airport but HW 1 ( I think it is 1, the E/W road north of downtown). I had to go to the airport once in May and 3 times in July, and everytime it was just awful getting across town.
Coming in from the west on the TransCanada, turn left at 19th St or (better) 14 St NW. Go north to John Laurie Blvd and turn right. Follow it as it turns into McKnight as far as Barlow Trail. Turn left, go a few miles, and you're at the airport. Total elapsed time at almost any time of day from the first turn is around 20 minutes.

Quote:
A couple of people told me not even to think about driving into the actual downtown during the business day.
Whining. Besides, they have to do it every day at rush hour. It's very bad then. OTOH, they deserve it for buying a house in a place like Fish Creek or Mackenzie or one of the new developments miles out Crowchild.

Quote:
Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver are all bad, from what I've seen. Vancouver is the worst. Seattle is bad, but at least it has freeways. In Vancouver, they vanish when you get to town and you are dumped on urban arterials.
Metro Vancouver is pathetic. OTOH, if you can live in Van itself, it's so compact and public transit is so good that you don't really need a car.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts. "I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.

http://tinyurl.com/8w77c
Old 08-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts.* *"I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.

http://tinyurl.com/8w77c
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm the type to believe it when I see it.

Plus, that just means we won't have to share our Canadian beer!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #86

Seriously, why would an American want to live in Canada? I'm talking quality of life and economic reasons. Nothing against Canada, some of my ancestors lived there before they came to the U.S. I just don't see an economic advantage.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #87

Lazarus,
I'm not clear about quality of life and economic reasons, but there seems to be something about their beer...
Quote:
Plus, that just means we won't have to share our Canadian beer!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:58 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haven't thought about moving to Canada since '72... *

Not all advantages are economic...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Haven't thought about moving to Canada since '72...

Not all advantages are economic...
I worked for Canadian National Rail in Chicago - Passenger reservations late 60's - early seventies..got a call asking when the next train was headed for Canada... how much was a one-way ticket...tried to establish a destination..he didn't know really, just what it would cost to get to C...he must have gotten something in the mail telling him that it was time for him to go to "Canada"...sold him a ticket to Toronto although I was tempted to give him Sarnia...

Have - did you consider the train and did you know where you were going?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm not sure who wrote this, but if they are talking about a skilled worker immigration application, I would take this with a grain of salt. Even family class applications, which are given priority, typically take 6 months to process. Skilled worker, depending on the Visa post, typically 18-24 months.
I wrote this and you can take it with whatever grain of salt you like. It took about 6 weeks in the skilled worker class and that is it. I got my police certificate on the spot. Medical was set up in the same week that I filled out the paperwork. A couple of weeks later I got a brown envelope with my visa in the mail. As you could have read in my post, this is a couple of years ago and things may have slowed down especially after 9/11.

Vicky
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40
Anyone know of a US Property site where you can SEARCH based on a specific address, street name or full zip code?

Curious if MLS past price histories are available on the net, or is this restricted to realtors only?
You can do the zip code search on www.realtor.com
Old 08-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
You can do the zip code search on www.realtor.com
Its too general in built up city areas, you get too many matches (allows for 5 or 6 zip digits only)
Need a Street level search.or ability to search by full zip: 12345-1234
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs
Coming in from the west on the TransCanada, turn left at 19th St or (better) 14 St NW. Go north to John Laurie Blvd and turn right. Follow it as it turns into McKnight as far as Barlow Trail. Turn left, go a few miles, and you're at the airport. Total elapsed time at almost any time of day from the first turn is around 20 minutes.
Thanks a lot for this advice. I will keep it and use it. Calgary is the nearest airport of any size to Golden so I expect to have to make my way there a few times per year.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:58 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Seriously, why would an American want to live in Canada? I'm talking quality of life and economic reasons. Nothing against Canada, some of my ancestors lived there before they came to the U.S. I just don't see an economic advantage.

Good question!! Suggest staying put where you are and not looking into this any further.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
I wrote this and you can take it with whatever grain of salt you like. It took about 6 weeks in the skilled worker class and that is it. I got my police certificate on the spot. Medical was set up in the same week that I filled out the paperwork. A couple of weeks later I got a brown envelope with my visa in the mail. As you could have read in my post, this is a couple of years ago and things may have slowed down especially after 9/11.

Vicky
Thanks for the explanation, Vicky. I think things are very different post 9/11. For one thing, the whole process got revamped in December of 2001 and everyone that had an application was required to resubmit. If I remember correctly, European applications are processed in either London or Vienna, and both those consulates take MUCH longer than 6 weeks now.

I'm glad you made it and it was so easy. I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations. Nowadays, it often takes 3 weeks or a month AFTER you get the request for your passport to get your passport returned with the Visa stamp. And that's after all the other hoops.

For anyone seriously interested in this topic, I strongly recommend that you check out

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

and spend some time browsing around. I am not trying to discourage anyone. If Canada is the right place for you, then it is well worth the trouble. If you are the kind of person that believes in tolerance, negotiaton over war, and living in a country that believes in international law and cooperation rather than "might makes right" then Canada might be the place for you.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
My DH loves Canada and when someone asks where he's from he always responds Calgary instead of Boston now. Not everything can be measured in monetary terms. How about quality of life? We have more vacation days, better maternity/parental leave policies, a more relaxed work environment, great schools, etc. Did I mention better beer already??
Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #97

Quote:
Not everything can be measured in monetary terms. How about quality of life? We have more vacation days, better maternity/parental leave policies, a more relaxed work environment, great schools, etc. Did I mention better beer already??
well said.

check out

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0778562.html

Canada has actually dropped a bit from a few years back. Still rates high, however.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #98

Quote:
My DH loves Canada and when someone asks where he's from he always responds Calgary instead of Boston now. Not everything can be measured in monetary terms. How about quality of life? We have more vacation days, better maternity/parental leave policies, a more relaxed work environment, great schools, etc. Did I mention better beer already??
Calgary_Girl:

"beer" caught my I while scanning messages . Hypothetical: Say an American couple was interested in moving to Canada but didn't want to jump thru all the hoops of acquiring Canadian citizenship. If they divorced each other and then found a similarly willing couple in Canada, could each American marry a Canadian, get full citizenship, divorce again, and then remarry the original spouse while retaining full Canandian citizenship? If so .

This is not about some dirty, sqaulid foursome in freezing temperatures. It's about a loftier pursuit of an ideal future in a land of freedom--and better beer.

--Greg
Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #99

Apropos of nothing, it is sort of startling to see a population density map of Canada. Virtually the entire county is huddled within a couple of hundred miles of the southern border, shivering, trying to warm themselves.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #100

Quote:
well said.

check out

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0778562.html

Canada has actually dropped a bit from a few years back. Still rates high, however.
USA did better than I thought...everyone above us has better beer..is that the criteria they used?