FIRE to Canada

ShokWaveRider said:
The Winters in ANY provices are simply NOT. From the Dreary Rainy Foggy Overcast West to the Simply Damn Bitter Cold of the East.

<snip>

But the weather is not the only reason for living in the US. I personally just think the standard of living is far better in the use (Dollar for Dollar) It is my observation that The "average" Canadian especially in my comparable income circle, simply settle for less.

<snip>

so I would be knoked down if they elected any other government. But they have their Legal system and Election processs sorted and it works.

OK. The One thing that is really better that effects the general middle class family like us HEALTH CARE!!!! That is why I suffer the Canadian Weather for 153 days per year (In actual fact the summers are wonderful). But I do not own a home there, or pay taxes there except the bare minimum that I have to to maintain residency. I rent furnished and leave immediately my 153 days are up. All our posessions are in the US and purchased there. Cars resistered in the US US insurance, TVs Stereo, Booze, I drink far less in Canada hense avoiding another silly tax structure. If I want any liquor I go to the US and get it. We make a point of living close to the border. And by the way 99% of our Canadian friends do exactlly the same thing (from a drinks perspective). Some even buy their groceries in the US. Although for some reason produce is far better in Canada.

All this said, we do like Canada, just not to spend the rest of our life there. The winters are intollarable and gloomy.

<snip>

SWR

some questions/observations are in order

1) if winters are so intolerable in Canada, yet you live so close to the border so you can effectively scam health insurance, explain how you get this major climate shift just by crossing an international border....

2) if the standard of living is so much higher in the US, why is it that Canada rates higher on all UN quality of life surveys? I realize that standard of living and quality of life may not be the same thing.

3) get ready to be knocked down...it's election night and it looks like the Republican wannabees with bad haircuts may be forming a government

4) are you aware that if you are a Canadian resident, it is illegal for you to drive a US-plated car in Canada? How do you get around this? If you have a legal way, please let me know since I have similar issues (except I split my time between BC and Alaska--yes, that's right, I go to Canada due to the warmer winters...).

5) as for getting more per dollar in the US, just give it another year or two.

6) ditto on the not getting offended comment...

Back
Top Bottom