Annual expences 56
length 35 yrs
Nestegg start 900
Pension 1 starts year 0 30k
Pension 2 starts year 3 20k
SS starts year 5 17k
Spouse's SS starts year 7 7k
Stock/bonds(cash) 70/30

I plan to retire in 3-6 months. We will have no debt. My own planning indicates a very favorable percent of success. In addition to the above, I plan 18% average taxes, 4% inflation, ROI 7.5%. I thoght those were pretty conservative until I did Firecalc today!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FireCalc
Old 02-23-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried FIRECALC with your numbers and got 100% success rate. You may want to check to make sure you entered your pensions as negative values and your SS as positives. If you didn't that could significantly change your outcome.

Moguls

Old 02-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, assuming that you intend to replace portfolio withdrawals with pension/ss withdrawals (ie, reduce your withdrawal rate) rather than add those amounts to your 56k to create a higher overall withdrawal, then your success is 100%.

If you intend to increase your overall withdrawal (56k+pensions+social security) then your portfolio withdrawal rate (56k) is simply too high to be supported by historical data.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Looks like I didn't read the instructions good enough! How's that go" RTFI?

Quote:
..... *You may want to check to make sure you entered your pensions as negative values and your SS as positives......
Moguls
Old 02-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Sorry for your brief panic!

This has happened often. I have just added Repeat - Enter your pension as a negative number, since you will need less from your portfolio. in red to the instructions.

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yo, Cptn' Bill;

How is it that 80/20 30yr Treas/Stock ratio leaves me with 660M left vs a 20/80 ratio only leaves me 3M (when I'm dead)? Are 30 yr treasuries that far superior to the stock market (I wouldn't guess so) ...or did I fatfinger the calc?

TIA,

dc :-/

You have proposed a withdrawal of 14.55% of your starting portfolio.

starting with a portfolio of $330,000 and taking out $48,000 the first year, and the same amount after adjustments for inflation (PPI) each year ...

Starting in year 7, the withdrawal was decreased by $600 (your Social Security; adjusted for inflation).

Starting in year 9, the withdrawal was decreased by $600 (spouse's Social Security; adjusted for inflation).

Starting in year 0, the withdrawal was decreased by $21,000 (adjusted for inflation).

Starting in year 5, the withdrawal was decreased by $20,000 (adjusted for inflation).

In year 1, the portfolio was increased by a single (inflation-adjusted) $50,000 addition (as from the sale of a house).

In year 1, the portfolio was increased by a single (inflation-adjusted) $225,000 addition (as from the sale of a house).

In year 1, the portfolio was decreased by a single (inflation-adjusted) $150,000 reduction (as for a major purchase).

Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dogcliff,

One thing I noticed in your output is that the SS amount appears to be a monthly amount. If it is, you'll want to make that an annual amount.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:26 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Bob,

You are correct...thanks..now the result is 772m/5m for treasury weighted vs stock weighted mix.(?!?) Still doesn't sound quite right...

dc
Old 03-04-2004, 08:21 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Kind of strange. I get 2.2M (20% stock) vs 4.5M (80% stock) for a 30 year run. You didn't mention the run duration.

Wayne
Old 03-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

WZD,

35 year run...I cross-posted to
Early Retirement Forum
Early retirement planning
Technical Forum - Calculators
Question for Dory36 on FIRECalc

with both input assumptions and results cut 'n pasted from FIRECalc. Something is not right...

dc
Old 03-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw the cross post. It can make threads hard to follow, so I would discourage it, although I can't say Dory has a guideline on it here.

I run the same run and get totally different values, even for the 80% stock run, $6,684,877. For the 20% stock I get $3,015,846. These numbers are about what I would expect. Something is really hosed up for the 20% run for you, and I also wonder why the difference on the 80% run. I suspect Dory will have to look thru log files to see what is happening here (assuming that firecalc keeps them). Maybe if you post the full results text, someone may see something?

Wayne
Old 03-04-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Saw the cross post. *It can make threads hard to follow, so I would discourage it, although I can't say Dory has a guideline on it here.

I run the same run and get totally different values, even for the 80% stock run, $6,684,877. *For the 20% stock I get $3,015,846. * These numbers are about what I would expect. *Something is really hosed up for the 20% run for you, and I also wonder why the difference on the 80% run. *I suspect Dory will have to look thru log files to see what is happening here (assuming that firecalc keeps them). *Maybe if you post the full results text, someone may see something?

Wayne
I think he answered himself in the other thread - decimal point error on input.

Cross posting is allowed, as long as you don't mind someone answering you on the knitting forum.

No logs being kept. They would make debugging easier, but I decided privacy issues were more important.

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 08-03-2004, 01:26 PM   #13

Are the terminal values calculated in FIRECalc adjusted for inflation?
John Lee
Old 08-03-2004, 05:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I dont believe so.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:06 AM   #15
Developer of FIRECalc

Nope - they are raw dollars. Maybe in a future version.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There are a few calcs that will render out inflation adjustments, although they'd be generic rather than using the year by year inflation rates.

Besides, wouldnt that be depressing to see "average terminal value, $32, 530, 245...enough to buy two cups of coffee and a 15 minute newspaper rental in 2045"?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:11 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, now you guys are confusing me about FIRECalc...

Let's say I do a 40 year run, and look at the spreadsheet available at the "details". If the starting year of that particular row was 1940, isn't the $ amount in the last cell, 1979, in 1979 dollars? Therefore, the terminal value for that particular sequence is in the year's dollars of the last succesful year's cell in that row?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #18

Each sequence incorporates inflation for the years in that sequence, and the terminal value for each sequence is in the final year's dollars.

But that's difficult to interpret in terms of buying power. * And to confuse things even more, the "average terminal value" just averages each year's terminal value, none of which were comparable to begin with!

And to further confuse things, sometimes "inflation adjusted" means you get more money to reflect inflation (e.g., TIPS and COLA'd pensions), and other times it means that the dollars were converted to some fixed reference year for comparision purposes.

Not confused yet? *Intercst's spreadsheet allows you to look at terminal values in "inflation adjusted" terms, which in that case means he factors out inflation to give you "real" dollars.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Each sequence incorporates inflation for the years in that sequence, and the terminal value for each sequence is in the final year's dollars.
Thanks wab, that is what I wanted to hear!

For my own spreadsheet creations, I have put a "real dollars" column in them to make me realize that possible big terminal $ amounts 40-45 years out will be actually be a lot smaller than what they appear! *

Also have created and printed out a table that has inflation multiplier values. *Vert. axis is years, Horz. axis is inflation rates in .5% steps. *As an example, 3.5% inflation for 45 years is a mult. of 4.702. *6% over the same years is >13 *