FIRECalc

We split hairs over 4% vs 3% withdrawal rates, but the reality is, at age 50 we are far more likely to die than run out of money.
Yikes. I really have a hard time with this sort of thought.

So I looked up "Likelihood of dieing by age" and found this: Actuarial Life Table

For me the stats say:
death probability = 1.7%
years left = 17

I know this is a statistical thing and am hoping to game the system -- as usual I want my cake and want to eat it too. Am going to do a run today, for sure. :)

People plan their retirement like they are going to live forever. Using up the very years they could be in retirement to build up assets they probably won't need.

We split hairs over 4% vs 3% withdrawal rates, but the reality is, at age 50 we are far more likely to die than run out of money.
I sure wish I could use this as an argument to bump my WR up to 4% but at the age of 49, I feel a lot safer at 2.5%.

I could do all kinds of things with the extra dosh though.

People plan their retirement like they are going to live forever. Using up the very years they could be in retirement to build up assets they probably won't need.

Right on, Lazarus. I'm not afraid of dying; I'm afraid of not living. I come from a line of short livers (life, not the organ!) and I'm determined to make the most of life before I kick the bucket. I spent 30 years taking relatively good care of myself and saved like Dickens to be able to ER -this year. This my plan...and I'm sticking to it!!!

Back
Top Bottom