Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Would you mind posting a reference or link to your source of this information?
Sure. Here it is. Note the 1st paragraph in the Introduction. It mentions being able to pay only 76% of the estimated benefits. What will actually happen is, of course, something we will know in the fullness of time.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/polic...v70n3p111.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sure. Here it is. Note the 1st paragraph in the Introduction. It mentions being able to pay only 76% of the estimated benefits. What will actually happen is, of course, something we will know in the fullness of time.

What everyone has to understand is that the statement "Social Security Board of Trustees projects program cost to rise by 2035 so that taxes will be enough to pay for only 75 percent of scheduled benefits.."...... That doesn't mean that benefits will be cut at all. This is a political football in its entirety.

Military pensions have even less taxes coming in to pay for benefits currently. Heck, the whole Defense Dept. doesn't have enough to pay for its expenses either.

That's what treasury Bonds are for...To finance government excess expenditures. However, if you are against Social Security on a ideologue basis, you first have to convince the masses that it's in trouble, then you can fix it (Which means eliminate it!) The reality is that Social Security is still running a surplus, and is the ONLY Government Program that is.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I kinda get that you may believe there will be a 75% across the board cut in all benefits. But it just does not say that at all. 75% cut in total benefits paid out, maybe, "If trust fund assets are exhausted without reform, benefits will necessarily be lowered with no effect on budget deficits."
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #24

Quote:
75% cut in total benefits paid out, maybe, "If trust fund assets are exhausted without reform, benefits will necessarily be lowered with no effect on budget deficits."
Nope, doesn't even say that !.... It says nothing at all about cutting benefits!

All, it says is that the program will be running a 25% deficit. Which is still less than the rest of the Government!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Whenever I play with Firecalc, I run multiple scenarios: best case, worst case, and what I think is the most likely case. For whatever reason, I had it in my head that the SS reduction would result in 70% of benefits, so that's what I've used for my "most likely" scenarios. I suspect that there will be a reduction of some sort, although it may not be as blatant as a reduction in benefits. It might be more taxes and/or a means-tested medicare cost, but either way I expect to see somewhat less than 100% of my projected SS.
Note that medicare is already means tested for part B all be it at fairly high income levels. above 85 k for singles and double it for married you pay $40 /month more, above 107k you pay $100/month more and above 106k you pay $160/month more. So what you may mean is that the trigger levels will be adjusted downwards. Part D is also means tested as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I use 0% Social Security for planning purposes and still get a 100% success rate out of Firecalc, so if anything does show up in 9 years, it will be drinking money.
To be sure we'll be OK, we inflate our budget with lots and lots of padding. Then we exclude SS, pension, portfolio earnings and other savings. If we're still 100%, then we figure we'll have plenty of margin for "drinking money" when it turns out we do have SS, pensions, portfolio earnings and savings to spend on our actual lower budget. You can't be too conservative in financial planning!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that medicare is already means tested for part B all be it at fairly high income levels. above 85 k for singles and double it for married you pay $40 /month more, above 107k you pay $100/month more and above 106k you pay $160/month more. So what you may mean is that the trigger levels will be adjusted downwards. Part D is also means tested as well.
Make that above 206k
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I kinda get that you may believe there will be a 75% across the board cut in all benefits. But it just does not say that at all. 75% cut in total benefits paid out, maybe, "If trust fund assets are exhausted without reform, benefits will necessarily be lowered with no effect on budget deficits."

I simply used the information on that link as the source for my reducing SS benefits to 75% in an experimental run of FireCalc.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
gone traveling

IMHO, the reduction in planned future SS benefits are dependent on your age, and your personal ability to assume risk.

Nothing different than those who invest in the market (be it equity or bonds) for the future.

For me/DW (who are both less than a year away from SS FRA age)? We will keep with the 100% forecast.

If we don't make it? It will be a challange to be considered in our (much) later years.

However, I do agree with those much younger who are adjusting their plan based upon the possibility of reduced SS income. I/we for one/couple, don't think that will happen (heck, we both experienced and increase in contributions and an increase in FRA during our accumulation years), but you must plan for "your" future.

Just my/our simple POV...
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #30

Thats funny how many others in here also use 75% of estimate, that is my usual firecalc setting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I use 0% Social Security for planning purposes and still get a 100% success rate out of Firecalc, so if anything does show up in 9 years, it will be drinking money.
Woah now, come on.
1. Food
2. Drinking Money
3. Rent

We're going extra safe and buying enough booze for the rest of our lives.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
Administrator

Maybe I'll be able to upgrade from MD 20/20 to Bordeaux.

Tags
ss 75%