Join Early Retirement Today

FIRECalc not working
Old 10-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRECalc not working

Hi. This is the message I get when I try to use FIRECalc. I am using Chrome. Do you get an error message like this too?

Warning: require_once(common/top.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: Input/output error in /home/firecalc/public_html/index.php on line 197

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'common/top.php' (include_path='.:/opt/php52/lib/php') in /home/firecalc/public_html/index.php on line 197
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

same

Quote:
Warning: require_once(common/top.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: Input/output error in /home/firecalc/public_html/index.php on line 197

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'common/top.php' (include_path='.:/opt/php52/lib/php') in /home/firecalc/public_html/index.php on line 197
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #3

The administrators are aware and are working on a fix. No estimate on how long it will take though.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The administrators are aware and are working on a fix. No estimate on how long it will take though.
Is there a way I can find out when it fixed? Do you think it will take a long time to fix the program, like more than a week?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Is there a way I can find out when it fixed? Do you think it will take a long time to fix the program, like more than a week?
If you're in a hurry, try ********. You might find you like it better anyway. Some people here seem to question it's accuracy, but from my testing, the results are almost identical to FIRECalc, with a slightly better interface and some additional options.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
If you're in a hurry, try ********. You might find you like it better anyway. Some people here seem to question it's accuracy, but from my testing, the results are almost identical to FIRECalc, with a slightly better interface and some additional options.
Thank you!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you!
Nico-

I'd be interested in your thoughts on ******** after you've used it. It's relatively new, and I've used it just a bit. But, I definitely like what I've seen so far. I use Fido's RIP tool the most, i-ORP occassionally, and FIRECalc. But, our plan for decumulation (I just semi-FIREd) is a variable withdrawal methodology so, ******** seems like a great tool to analyze and compare various methods.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
The issue with firecalc is that the company that hosts the site server is having an outage. The site won't be back up until they have resolved their problem. we have contacted them and are as anxious as you are - trust me an unplanned outage this long is practically unheard off...
Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Must be hosted with a company that is part of the EIG group. Just a guess.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Janet H;1510318]The issue with firecalc is that the company that hosts the site server is having an outage. The site won't be back up until they have resolved their problem. we have contacted them and are as anxious as you are - trust me an unplanned outage this long is practically unheard off...[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Must be hosted with a company that is part of the EIG group. Just a guess.
Maybe they're testing our endurance?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:31 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Huston55;1510612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The issue with firecalc is that the company that hosts the site server is having an outage. The site won't be back up until they have resolved their problem. we have contacted them and are as anxious as you are - trust me an unplanned outage this long is practically unheard off...[/QUOTE]
Maybe they're testing our endurance?
Being a small time consumer of such for years, it is a business that has its share of problems. When I hear of an outage, or experience one, my heart sinks. I went through this on 10/29, with an outage of 8 hours for sites that are very simple, and static. Based on the experience, I'm thinking of helping a few clients move to other hosts, and dropping my involvement.
I checked my support this morning and found ongoing*"issues with Innodb and MySQL". That is just incredible to read, that in the third day some are still in an outage. I am fortunate in that I am not really using either dB.
Hope this gets resolved soon for the legions of users.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #12
Administrator

I just tried now and FIRECalc loaded normally.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote