FIRECalc special option results

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just noticed FIRECalc has received a major face lift. When running "advanced FIRECalc" one has a few options under the "how is it invested" tab. The option that gives excellent (backtested) results is: 10% US microcap, 10% US small, 10% US small value, 40% S&P, 40% US large value, 10% US LT treasury, 15% LT corporate, 5% 1month treasury. Basically this looks like a small value / large value tilt (per French-Fama) with a 70/30 portfolio. Unfortunately there is no provision for international stocks, TIPS, etc.

The results for the option above were quite a bit better then a few other results I tried out. For a 1966 retiree the graph went up and to the right starting in the early 1980's versus a steadily declining graph for a 70/30 total stock market + 5yr treasury portfolio. Note, these graphs reflected my particular assets and spending goals.

Anyone care to comment? You might want to read the Bogle/Makeil article in yesterday's Wall St. Journal for a refutation to the use of a small value/ large value tilted portfolio.

Les

Back
Top Bottom