Join Early Retirement Today
FIRECALC Total Market/Income
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
FIRECALC Total Market/Income

Been running some FIRECalc simulations with varying AA (Equities/Fixed Income). Here are some numbers I got for my specific situation.

75/25 - Baseline
50/50 - +1488
25/75 - +504
5/95 - -1805

All are right in the ballpark for my decision to ER this summer Suffering from the "one more year" syndrome, but hopefully we can make the leap of FIRECalc faith.

My question is what portfolio would folks suggest to reach these percentages? Right now I have my portfolios spread across 10 low cost VG funds, but would simplifying to these two be reasonable to attain FIRECalc results?

VGSAX - Total Market
VBTLX - Total Bond Market

NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I read books by Malkiel, Ellis, Swedroe & Bob Clyatt & came up with my own mix of large cap, small cap, international, emerging, reits, mid term treasuries & corp bonds, short term corp bonds & TIPS. All mutual fund or ETFs.

One of Swedroe's books goes into a good discussion on setting your bond allocation - based on number of years of safe expenses, ability to handle a 50% equity down turn etc. I can't remember the name though - it may the the "Best investment policy" or something like that. He has the worst names for his books

All the best.

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
How about some exposure to international equities? I use VTIAX for my international exposure.

FWIW, I use VBTLX for bonds (like you), VTSAX for my Total Market, and VTIAX for international.
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
How about some exposure to international equities? I use VTIAX for my international exposure.
+1. Unless you want to buy a fund of funds or something like Wellington, Wellesley (perfectly good choices) - I consider 3-4 funds to be a good place to draw the lower limit line for a DIY AA number of funds. I have 11 funds (tilts, tax avoidance from career income days, etc.), but that will decrease as I age, and I'd be fine with 3-4.

Take your pick from Lazy Portfolios - Bogleheads
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
gone traveling
I recently setup a mini-portfolio of 70/30 VTSAX/VBILX just to see how they perform. I don't have an international component, mainly because I'm leary of the increased risk.

Long term, I've pretty much decided to maintain my first 10 years of ER funds in Wellesley (40/60) the next 20+ years in Wellington (60/40), and use 50/50 for FireCalc purposes.

But I want to see how my mini-portfolio does for a few years.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Wouldn't there be tax implications to move from one set of funds to another ?

"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote