Fired!

Medit8

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, it wasn't exactly how it played out in my mind in terms of timing, but when did things ever go exactly according to plan?

Got my redundancy notice yesterday with immediate effect. We are fine financially and will be better than fine once markets normalize.

What I'm most excited about is being able to participate in this board as a card-carrying FIRE member and no longer as a wannabe :)

Well, it wasn't exactly how it played out in my mind in terms of timing, but when did things ever go exactly according to plan?

Got my redundancy notice yesterday with immediate effect. We are fine financially and will be better than fine once markets normalize.

What I'm most excited about is being able to participate in this board as a card-carrying FIRE member and no longer as a wannabe :)
A very memorable post - and your 100th! Congratulations... I think.:flowers:

I must admit I'm part concern and part envy. Enjoy your time off and good luck to you in whatever direction you take.

Hummm, I guess I should congratulate you... for getting laid off! It's not often you get to say that to someone!:LOL:

Thanks guys. Yes, congratulations are in order. I had planned to walk away in January 2010, but as the package effectively achieved the same financial objective, it was an easy decision.

Next a family reunion and then a trip to Europe.:cool:

I'm too tired to bounce, so I sent these guys....

sBo_bouncing2.gif

Enjoy!

Thanks guys. Yes, congratulations are in order. I had planned to walk away in January 2010, but as the package effectively achieved the same financial objective, it was an easy decision.

Next a family reunion and then a trip to Europe.:cool:

Contratulations! Where are you going in Europe?

Contratulations! Where are you going in Europe?

I will be going to Scandinavia. It's where I'm from originally. Now I'm based in Asia, but lived for a fairly lengthy time on the East Coast (north of Providence but south of Bangor). That covers about 500 miles nicely. :dance:

That is wonderful!! Sounds like they did you a great favor. :clap::dance::clap: :D

Thanks W2R. I have been following your countdown for years. The "Frank situation", the Vanguard conundrum, the New Orleans mystery and the yearning for Missouri. I bet you can't wait either. Just had my first dinner with my wife and 2 daughters post-Fire. Ribeye and chicken with Thai "nam jim", which is a sauce made from Thai birdseye chilies, fish sauce and lime. I've had it countless times, but can't remember when it tasted so good. Just put the kids to bed (it's 8 pm out here) and am enjoying a Laphroig neat. I can (and will) get used to this.

Awesome news Medit8! I truly believe that decisions taken out of our hands are God winks.

You will be happy and relaxed in no time.........:)

Congratulations! I'm in a similar situation: I was thinking I could FIRE soon but was really on the fence about when to do it, and then my (former) employer made the decision for me. It's not even 2 months yet for me, but I am really enjoying my time off. And every day feels better and better because it's still sinking in that I'm free to do whatever I want each day. I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your time as much I as am, or even more! :)

Congratulations. I guess I am joining you in that my employer also made a choice for me (albeit sooner than I wanted). Hope it is all as sweet for you as it sounds.

Congratulations on being redundant! :cool:

Every time I see news of a fresh FIREee, it gives me a very pleasant reminiscence of the wonderful feeling of FIREing 2 years ago. TY for the booster shot. :flowers:

Wecome to the road less traveled!

Good friend called 2 weeks ago with the same news. Said he'll get ONE YEARS SEVERENCE! So I said "After 23 years in the rat race ... Take the summer of; be with the family. Then start looking the fall." He said "Can't do that ... I can double dip if I find work during the severence period. Besides I be bored out of my mind."

He found a job this week ... starts Monday. Some just don't have it in them!

Congrats! :cool::LOL::ROFLMAO::greetings10::flowers:

Congratulations! I'm in a similar situation: I was thinking I could FIRE soon but was really on the fence about when to do it, and then my (former) employer made the decision for me. It's not even 2 months yet for me, but I am really enjoying my time off. And every day feels better and better because it's still sinking in that I'm free to do whatever I want each day. I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your time as much I as am, or even more! :)

There has to be some Karma involved in this as you are announcing roughly the same thing as me with your 100th post! :)

Congratulations. And ahead of schedule in a down market, good planning.

Congratulations. And ahead of schedule in a down market, good planning.

Well, that's kind of what sealed it. I have 5 years of ready cash reserves. Then I have a fairly reasonable equity portfolio which needs to recover. Lastly, I have built up a short term (3-5 year maturity) bond portfolio which hopefully can be more fruitfully deployed at maturity. I'm a fairly conservative investor, so the bond portion serves as my (gasp) annuity substitute.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom