Join Early Retirement Today

First Few Years of RE: Net Worth Rise or Fall?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

First Few Years of RE: Net Worth Rise or Fall?

We are now less than 4 months from our planned FIRE escape and I notice that our passive income is growing MUCH faster than our spending. In fact, I added up ALL the money I've earned in my 26 year career and it is LESS than our current net worth. I know that the point where passive income (from all stocks and bonds for us) exceeds spending is the inflection point of FI and I wonder if it is likely to continue?

Among our already RE friends on the forum - did you see your net worth continue to RISE in your first few years post-work, or did it gradually start to FALL as you spent for your lifestyle?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you added up you past earnings, did you adjust for inflation? Just wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

I've had a good 2 1/2 years and the markets have been nice to me.

Up about 30%
Old 12-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

Its so hard to compare pre ER vs post ER living expenses vs income. For example I don't really know how to adjust for inflation because since ER at the end of 2002 some major changes took place (vs pre ER).

1) I no longer had a mortgage so mortgage rates were not material
2) I no longer had a regular commute to work so the price of gas was much less relevant
3) I had time to start a large garden and keep livestock at the small farm we purchased in SW Oregon so the cost of food and the nature of our meals changed
4) I now had the time to do a lot of the work I previously hired someone to do
5) I moved to an area that had a much lower cost of living
6) Taxes are much lower
7) Heating costs are much lower (cut and split my own firewood)
8) clothing costs are way lower since we don't have to dress up for anything
9) some costs have gone up. One dog pre ER, lots of critters now
10) Some hobby costs are up, have a large LP collection now and time to listen to a very nice Hi Fi system.
11) Wife's horses are not cheap

I guess the bottom line is that our liquid NW has about doubled since ER 12 years ago. Started SS at 62, 3 years ago, and just started a tiny non cola pension from a long ago employer of less than $400/mo.

Basically between SS, the non cola pension and dividends and CG from the taxable portion of our investments (about 1/2 of the total) we are fortunate to have enough for our comfortable (to us) lifestyle. We haven't used our IRA's at all and don't foresee the need to tap into that at this time. I guess in 5 years as RMD's start the Gummint will be happy to share in our good fortune unless Rewahoo's asteroid makes an appearance or we do something really dumb or otherwise the SHTF.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My portfolio is worth 50% more than the day I retired due to some consulting work, an inheritance, and investment gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the first two years of ER, my NW increased beyond inflation. This is year 3. I will do the calculations after the new year, but I suspect NW will have decreased, due to the crummy markets. No pension here. Spending has been very modest this year.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
I know that the point where passive income (from all stocks and bonds for us) exceeds spending is the inflection point of FI and I wonder if it is likely to continue?

Among our already RE friends on the forum - did you see your net worth continue to RISE in your first few years post-work, or did it gradually start to FALL as you spent for your lifestyle?

It's a matter of how you're invested. Ideally/obviously, it would continue to grow over your entire retirement as long as your spending was less than your investment growth.

Some of us here are able to do that through simple brute force (large portfolios that are well invested and small-ish expenses). Many are able to just live on dividends coupled to SS and a pension. Others go the draw-down route with each year having a lower balance.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #8

Our net worth has gone up quite a bit, despite 2 car purchases and some significant home repairs. But we're not exactly investment geniuses, the stock market's overall gain the last few years is the only reason.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Only time our net worth goes down is when the markets swoon. 2007-8. Been retired since 2002. We will expect this year to be slightly up, thanks to diversity and a one-time permanent reduction in annual budget in 2008 due to snowbirding.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #10

Pulled the plug in July 2009. Up 46% net worth since then. Stock market gains and last tranche of company stock options are responsible.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #11

We've been drawing 2.5 now grown to 3% since retiring mid 2011 and net worth has gone up substantially. We will wait on SS til 70 to pay the tax on MRWs and I have a pension that runs about the same as the 3% withdrawals from investments. So we feel very safe at the 3% and are trying hard to spend that draw. We fully expect it will continue to grow a good bit over the hopefully long run until we check out.

I know others have written here of retiring just pre 2008 and if that was me I'd have really squirmed, probably have minimized any discretionary, which today is probably about half of what we really would need to survive.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
We are now less than 4 months from our planned FIRE escape and I notice that our passive income is growing MUCH faster than our spending. In fact, I added up ALL the money I've earned in my 26 year career and it is LESS than our current net worth. I know that the point where passive income (from all stocks and bonds for us) exceeds spending is the inflection point of FI and I wonder if it is likely to continue?

I think that your net worth may be reflecting market conditions. The market has gone up since you retired.

I retired in November, 2009, and my net worth has gone up quite a bit because so far all I have experienced is a long, thriving bull market. (edited to add: overall, not counting recent fluctuations! But in the long term everything has been pretty good so far.)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired October 2012 and after two years 2013 and 2014 our Portfolio was 15% higher than we started even with our spending. It looks like 2015 we will still have more than we started with in 2012 but will be first year NW will not increase unless Santa brings a big year end rally. If the market remains around where it now at year end our net worth will be about what it was an year end 2014 minus our expenditures. Hope we will not take a withdraw until portfolio back to record high. We have another 2 to 2.5 years of cash to live on.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

Really depends on the markets and spend rate. If you spend under say 4% of portfolio and the market increases on average that amount, you should maintain the balance in nominal terms. In down years (like this one) you would expect your net worth to decline. Real question would be do you reduce your spending when the market is bad?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

Now that I retire, I will keep track of actual vs planned spending. Same with net worth. I hope it goes up.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #16

I've only been retired for 18 months. I was feeling really positive about my ever growing portfolio through most of this past summer... Late August and this past week have changed that feeling.

I'm not worried - these numbers are based on my total cash/investments... which included some money set aside for one time things (like my big trip this past summer.). If I use the number I used for planning/firecalc runs/etc... (ignoring the set aside funds)... I'm close to flat. That darn one time spending. Outside of our big trip and remodeling projects our spending is more frugal than planned for... which surprised me.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Also retired 18 months. Our net worth was up by $100k after 12 months. Now, after pulling out $50k in addition to our usual living expenses to buy a new house and a crappy market, we're down. Long term we should be fine.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired in July 2009. Real Estate crash, stock market crash, everything was down. Six plus years later my total Net Worth is 60% higher.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Really depends on the markets and spend rate. If you spend under say 4% of portfolio and the market increases on average that amount, you should maintain the balance in nominal terms. In down years (like this one) you would expect your net worth to decline. Real question would be do you reduce your spending when the market is bad?
Yes.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm coming up on my 4th year in retirement and I only track my cash/investable net worth. I quit trying to estimate and track physical assets value to closely.

When I retired, I was satisfied with my cash/investable net worth. So, as long as my total cash/investable net worth stays the same as when I retired (inflation adjusted), I just don't worry about it. I'm finding I tend to spend down to that level pretty consistently. By spending on daily living expenses, traveling, gambling, buying collectibles, donations, etc. I'm actually starting to think that I may want to start spending down my cash a bit more (maybe by 20% over the next 5 years). After all, I worked for 40+ years to get the money to enjoy retirement. I can't take it with me and I don't get too excited by looking at numbers on bank statements.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote