First grandchild born today!

Hint: people will enjoy your pictures and stories a lot more if you first ask and are interested in hearing about something in their lives: travel, kids, remodeling project, whatever is going on. Trust me. Also important: when bragging (your right to brag is inalienable in the GP code, but still), if you say the mini-Dman is the cutest, smartest, funniest baby "in my life", your listeners will always agree with you.

Hint: people will enjoy your pictures and stories a lot more if you first ask and are interested in hearing about something in their lives: travel, kids, remodeling project, whatever is going on. Trust me. Also important: when bragging (your right to brag is inalienable in the GP code, but still), if you say the mini-Dman is the cutest, smartest, funniest baby "in my life", your listeners will always agree with you.

I might be a little slow understanding your point, but in personal conversations with friends and family, I am always interested in what's happening in their lives and ask. I'm a proud new grandfather and love sharing it. I don't recall bragging about him, since everyone loves a baby and especially their own kin. It's not my style to brag or to pry beyond casual questions. People will share what they desire.

I might be a little slow understanding your point, but in personal conversations with friends and family, I am always interested in what's happening in their lives and ask. I'm a proud new grandfather and love sharing it. I don't recall bragging about him, since everyone loves a baby and especially their own kin. It's not my style to brag or to pry beyond casual questions. People will share what they desire.

Oh, no, not implying at all you are doing this, more reminding myself and wishing someone had given me some early tips. I notice among my fellow gparents that the ones who never ask about others soon are avoided. There is also a level of competitive grandparenting out there, as I am sure there always has been--I remember MIL gritting her teeth when her best friend's grandson was playing football because the bragging went on for years and the best friend never asked about MIL's somewhat less accomplished grandkids. Forget I said anything, please.

Last edited:
Congratulations! He is a cutie. We are blessed with 3 grandchildren and they are truly a joy! Can't wait to see them again the end of next month. Enjoy your time with the little guy.

Oh, no, not implying at all you are doing this, more reminding myself and wishing someone had given me some early tips. I notice among my fellow gparents that the ones who never ask about others soon are avoided. There is also a level of competitive grandparenting out there, as I am sure there always has been--I remember MIL gritting her teeth when her best friend's grandson was playing football because the bragging went on for years and the best friend never asked about MIL's somewhat less accomplished grandkids. Forget Insaid anything, please.

Got it! Thanks for explaining.
Being a grandparent living on the east coast with my son and family living in Seattle, I'll miss them terribly. With DW's family being all on the east coast, relocating isn't really an option at this point. We'll visit when we can. Hopefully to see some wonderful accomplishments as he grows. But I worry about how much I'll miss.

Back
Top Bottom