First Pension Check....

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have received my first pension check from Columbia University. I started at their Lamont Observatory in the early seventies.

They were one of the first to convert from defined benefits to defined contributions during my employment. After a few years I became vested.

A few months ago I decided to start collecting. Since I am not yet 65, am 61, it is a reduced amount.

They made exhaustive calculations, adjusted for life expectancy, early distributions, phase of the moon, solar radiation, carbon footprint and credits, and came up with a figure: $29.43 for life. Yippeee.

They wanted to know how I wish to receive the funds. I elected paper checks. Yesterday I proudly marched into the local bank, where my checking account is and presented the check to the teller for deposit. Letting her know that this is really a pension check. She nearly choked.

So now I have sufficient funds coming in monthly to cover my daily cafe habit, at the truth and veracity league for part of the month. Where bottomless coffee= $1.17 with tax. 50 cents tip = $1.67 therefore my pension check covers exactly 17.62275449 cups of java.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

It may seem anal for this calculation, but, you gotta see the humor in it. In reality in don't care. I just find it amusing.

They made exhaustive calculations, adjusted for life expectancy, early distributions, phase of the moon, solar radiation, carbon footprint and credits, and came up with a figure: $29.43 for life. Yippeee.

I'm actually surprised they didn't just give you a lump sum to cash you out of it. It probably costs them more than $29.43 a month to keep track of your pension.

hey brother, can ya spare a dime? :cool:

just out of curiosity, how long did you work there?

In several bursts about 16 yrs. Had breaks with w*rk in the "real world" ie. profit motivated industry.

I'm actually surprised they didn't just give you a lump sum to cash you out of it. It probably costs them more than $29.43 a month to keep track of your pension.

Lump sum was an option. I wanted that paper check every month.
grin.gif

Made color photocopy of this first check and DW is having it framed.
coolsmiley.gif

Back
Top Bottom