Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

They have been after me for years - I see FISHERINVESTMENTS on my caller ID at least 2X per week and let it go to answer machine - they never leave a message. I also get the large envelopes - good fire starters.

Don't know how they got my info.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll never forget Ken Fisher saying in a Forbes column in early 2008 that there was NO CREDIT CRISIS! And to load up on stocks!

Guess he got that wrong.

I've bought a few stocks from his recommendations in Forbes (not alot of $$) and none of them has been a good investment.

Stay away from them.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
They have been after me for years - I see FISHERINVESTMENTS on my caller ID at least 2X per week and let it go to answer machine - they never leave a message. I also get the large envelopes - good fire starters.

Don't know how they got my info.
Same here. Interesting that all of the responses so far have been negative. I wonder how they stay in business? Must be that relentless marketing along with P.T. Barnum's maxim.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #24

I noticed an ad for Fisher Investments here this morning. I closed it down because I didn't want to see it, and found a much more useful ad - a coupon code that I used to get 10% off a cat condo. It has 3 perches, an enclosed house, and 2 sisal scratching posts.

I think it's the first time I have ever consciously taken advantage of a banner ad, and I'm pleased as punch. There might be a lesson for would-be advertisers here - E-R.org member ignores investment ad and buys a cat condo instead

My kitties thank E-R.org in advance for their new play-home!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

The amazing part is that they manage something like $20 billion! Think about the fees he is collecting adding little to no value.
hlfo718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfo718 View Post
The amazing part is that they manage something like $20 billion! Think about the fees he is collecting adding little to no value.
Oh sure, but does Vanguard send you a birthday card?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
gone traveling

I get "stuff" from them in the mail about 3 or 4 times a year. I don't even open them anymore, just like all the credit card offers.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfo718 View Post
Probably difficult to verify this number.
Wonder how much of it is his, his family, his extended family, the people that work for him, their families...etc.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I noticed an ad for Fisher Investments here this morning. I closed it down because I didn't want to see it, and found a much more useful ad - a coupon code that I used to get 10% off a cat condo. It has 3 perches, an enclosed house, and 2 sisal scratching posts.

I think it's the first time I have ever consciously taken advantage of a banner ad, and I'm pleased as punch. There might be a lesson for would-be advertisers here - E-R.org member ignores investment ad and buys a cat condo instead

My kitties thank E-R.org in advance for their new play-home!
Awesome! And with a coupon!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #30

This group and Bogeheads would be the last people I would expect to use his services. Boring, simple, and cheap - er I mean low cost. It's worked so far. The mailings I've received over the years serve as reminder that somebody is paying for this stuff. Just so it's not me.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #31

We visited with a local rep and he was really impressed with himself. I thought they were very expensive. Plus, he kept wanting to put us into oil futures. I have blocked his number.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #32

They're a brand name. They charge brand name prices. Buy generic.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #33

Wow, lots of wrong, uninformed and angry comments here. Diatribes on the father, without even knowing who his father really was.
And Fisher is not a "wrap account", it's individual stocks. And the fee is not 1.5%. And the bit about being aggressive marketeers and continuing to mail stuff has no bearing on their value as an investment manager.

Once you cross out all the replies which have the above things, all that is left is the comments that DIY'ers and Bogelheads are not Fisher's prime audience.

I've had an account at Fisher for a few years, and it's done what I expected. It's an actively-managed fund that invests worldwide. Somewhat similar to Fidelity Contrafund, with only a slightly higher fee.

If you want to do straight passive index investing, then neither Fisher nor Fidelity Contra is for you. There is nothing wrong or "bad" about either of them -- they just invest with a different methodology than you want.

I have a minority of my money with Fisher and with Fidelity Contra. I invest the bulk of my money myself.
Why do I have some of my money with Fisher? To diversify investment methods, for the same reason you diversify asset classes.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #34

I agree. I met with one of their local VP's yesterday out of curiosity to see how they operated. Here are the main points: 1. ). Minimum investment is $500K. 2) they invest in individual stocks and bonds primarily with some ETF exposure for sector balancing. 3) they use a large research team to identify investment choices. 4) each investor who signs on works with a phone contact person and another person in face-to-face meetings. 5) They have quarterly reports on your portfolio much like a FIDO PAS. 6) each investor has the option to opt out of any investment choice they want out of. 7) since they invest worldwide, they benchmark to the MSCI World Index. 8) the fee is 1.25% of first million if the money is all within one tax group, ie Rollover IRA, taxable account, ROTH account. You can combine accounts, but the fee goes up to 1.5% of first million. The high rollers out there get a slight reduction over $1M. These rates are on equities. Income investment starts at 0.75%. 9) you stay with your own brokerage account and pay the sales charge on 60 or so stock purchases, so that is an additional charge going in and going out of about $1000 per year or more I'd guess.

I found the gentleman cordial and he didn't pressure me on anything. He has obviously been an investment advisor for quite awhile. He is the only person I have ever dealt with in the investment business who also has personal experience in real estate investments. He handled every question well I hurled at him. They also host regular meetings in each major area where they explain current strategy and you're able to meet other Fisher investors.

One thing he pointed out was that the mutual fund charges that FIDO, Vanguard etc charge on their actively managed funds can exceed their 1.25% fee, particularly if it is a PAS managed account. I would be curious if anyone who has any experience using Fisher can comment on accuracy of the stated fees. Of course, self-managing your investments in stocks and index funds will still be less expensive, but you're still competing with the professionals for portfolio growth.

So if you're busy like me, or have other things to do with your time other than managing stocks, bonds and mutual funds, Fisher is a different option. I haven't hired them, but I intend to study the material he left with me.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sounds like he did a good job of convincing you to come aboard.

This doesn't sound accurate. Have you verified?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
One thing he pointed out was that the mutual fund charges that FIDO, Vanguard etc charge on their actively managed funds can exceed their 1.25% fee, particularly if it is a PAS managed account.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #36

No, I haven't checked it yet, but I plan to sample a few of the PAS mutual fund selections that FIDO uses to verify it. I'll let you know. But the FIDO PAS account does charge .95% up to a certain level, maybe $1MM, when it is reduced a little. Plus, when they buy actively managed mutual funds, particularly international funds, the E.R. added on can exceed 0.7%. He claimed many of the popular funds used by FIDO also carry the onerous -12B also, which can add an additional 0.25%. I doubt this, but I intend to check it out. What I don't know is whether FIDO gets a discounted rate. I've been told that they do, but...?

And no, I haven't decided anything yet. Of course he was ready for me to sign up, but I make it a habit NOT to move on anything without more research. Been there, done that, didn't work out so well in the past. So now I do the work first. He gave me Fisher's market predictions since about 1990. Most were in the ballpark. The most glaring exception was 2008. His prediction was, "2008 is more likely to be a robust market than a bust one. We're too gloomy", January 2008. Bet he'd like to have that one back. Most of the others were fairly accurate. I found it interesting that they would put all of his predictions, good and bad, right there in the introduction folder though.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't think Vanguard offers a PAS account. Looks like what he says is true of FIDO:

Quote:
Net annual advisory fee : Between 0.25% and 1.7% of your eligible assets invested
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
One thing he pointed out was that the mutual fund charges that FIDO, Vanguard etc charge on their actively managed funds can exceed their 1.25% fee, particularly if it is a PAS managed account.
So if you're busy like me, or have other things to do with your time other than managing stocks, bonds and mutual funds, Fisher is a different option. I haven't hired them, but I intend to study the material he left with me.
Rick Ferri's firm will do the portfolio management for 0.25%... and he posts to Bogleheads for free.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #39

i'll have to check him out too.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #40

Sounds like kind of an expensive balanced mutual fund with no track record you can pin down.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote