Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Administrator

I have not owned either a Fit or a Civic, but I think you have picked two excellent models to consider. I have heard wonderful reports about both.

I hope you have a chance to do a test drive on each, and let us know what you think!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Fit or Civic or ?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fit or Civic or ?

We've owned a Nissan Versa - manual transmission - for years and love it.

We test drove many including the Civic and Fit at the time. We felt the Nissan drove the best; and the manual version is quite zippy and fun to drive.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another happy Fit owner here, I like the versatility of a hatchback and the interior configurations. Makes a big car out of a small car.

What I really like about the Fit compared to its competitors is visibility. I'm tall, and many of the small cars have poor visibility at my height. Not the Fit.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Another happy Fit owner here, I like the versatility of a hatchback and the interior configurations. Makes a big car out of a small car.

What I really like about the Fit compared to its competitors is visibility. I'm tall, and many of the small cars have poor visibility at my height. Not the Fit.
How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and i'm "all legs". Would I fit in a Fit? What have you gotten for highway MPG?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #25

When we looked at the Fit, it did have some good reviews and there were things I liked about it. The negatives to us were:

1. Honda vehicles have very rigid packages. Usually you can get this version or you can get that version. You can't mix and match options. This is true for other manufacturers but was extremely true for Honda.

2. It didn't have some features we really wanted and they just weren't available. I don't remember now what they were, but when I compared the Fit to other vehicles of similar price, it came up a bit short.

3. Styling of the vehicle. While this wasn't high on my list I admit that it is a factor. We ended up with a vehicle that we felt was far more attractive than the Fit. Now, appearance wouldn't outweigh safety or reliability, but it is something that goes into the mix. We did test drive the Fit by the way and weren't very impressed with it although it wasn't bad.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a FIT that we got as a cash for clunkers trade in. We love the configurability (seats lower when dropping backs down -- providing more room and flatter back; and that really cool ability to lift the back seat up and store items like a large suitcase). I'm 5'9" and DH is 6'3", and we've found the front comfortable. It has adequate headroom and visibility for DH. It's held up well to the dogs, and is very fuel efficient. We like it.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I test drove both Fit and Civic a couple of years back. Liked Civic more, it felt more solid and safe. Mpg official ratings on Civic are higher but looks like Fit owners are getting much better mpg.
Recently bought the Civic. Base civic has bluetooth (need in CA) rear camera, etc. Not sure about base Fit. Pickup on Civic is not the best, struggles a bit in the hilly Bay Area; don't know about the Fit pickup.
Since Civic is very common, I am hoping long term maintenance costs will be low.

I also strongly considered Mazda3 since I previously owned an 18 year old Mazda Protege that I sold in perfect working condition (rust in NY, IL). I didn't end up buying it even though it was my first choice because of my negative experience with the Mazda dealer close by.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Have you thought about a one year old Accord or Ford Fusion? Both are excellent cars and can be had around the same price as new fit or civics. They would give you more room and better accident protection without giving up much in the way fuel economy.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and i'm "all legs". Would I fit in a Fit? What have you gotten for highway MPG?
I'm 6'3". I think you'd have to give it a try. No doubt you'd do better in a Fit than its competitors, though.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had both a Honda CRV and Accord. I would caution you that while the Hondas are great, we found the seats to be incredibly hard. I've talked to others that agreed. We've found the Toyota seats to be noticeably more comfortable.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #31

For mostly around town I'd get a hybrid, whatever model you choose. Most of them actually get better mileage in town than on the highway.

Oh yeah, and never ever buy new!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When looking to replace my aging pickup, I test drove a Yaris, a Fit, and a Prius.

Yaris - Nope, too small, no power, weird layout...

Fit - Not too bad, though wasn't that impressed without driver layout.

Prius - The eventual winner, more drivable, better driver layout, consistent 50+ mpg. Negatives include poor visibility when backing, and, of course, the hybrid premium.

As evident, I wanted a hatchback for the versatility, and since most of my driving is city driving, the in-town mpg was important. Not a high-mileage driver, but both localized pollution, think level orange, and the likelihood of ever-increasing fuel prices going forward, convinced me to spend the extra.

Totally satisfied, and will continue to be if the battery pack lasts the 8-10 more years I'll likely own it.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We've owned 4 Hondas and my parents have owned 6, you can't go wrong with either. The Fit and the Civic have different purposes, that's how I would choose. The Fit is remarkably roomy/versatile for it's size, the Civic probably more comfy. The Fit was #2 on my shopping list when I last bought a new car in 2012.

I didn't realize until yesterday, when I saw a US road test, that the 2015 Fit is a 'complete' remodel - 3rd Gen version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-Honda-Fit-rear-front-three-quarter.jpg (553.8 KB, 10 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #34

Quote:
What have you gotten for highway MPG?

Forgot to answer this part. I usually get 38 highway unless I speed too much.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Forgot to answer this part. I usually get 38 highway unless I speed too much.
Seems like everywhere I look for owner reviews shows actual highway MPG is much better than the EPA rating of 33. Seems odd but if accurate then i'll be getting a Fit if I can fit comfortably.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seems like everywhere I look for owner reviews shows actual highway MPG is much better than the EPA rating of 33. Seems odd but if accurate then i'll be getting a Fit if I can fit comfortably.
IIRC from my buying research, the 2nd Gen Fit gearing was not optimized for mpg, they chose (final) ratios largely for power/performance. I never understood why. FWIW
Quote:
Fuel economy and price being the most important factors in the subcompact market, the 2015 Fit, like most subcompact updates, offers more power and more fuel economy. It's propelled with a new direct-injection 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine that ups the horsepower by 11 percent and offers 16 percent better fuel economy than the outgoing model. The fuel economy for the CVT version is 36 mpg combined.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I think the new 2015 Honda Fit has rear and side view cameras as standard. Plus, it is reshaped to not look like a van. (Actually, I like the van shape ... beauty in the eye of the beholder). Another plus is the horsepower in the 2015 is now 150 hp as opposed to only about 117.

As for MPG, on my 2012 Fit, I've tried milking the MPG out on the freeway and got over 50 mpg on a 250 mile trip. But if I don't try too hard for mileage, I get about 40 mpg. In city, driving I only get a bit over 30 mpg.

I sometimes go to a Honda owner site and there folks try what they can to get the best mileage. For me, I'm happy with what I got. I've gotten over the fact that it's not a hybrid, so not hybrid mileage, but in return, excellent cargo room (the best in it's class) which is main reason I got the vehicle in the first place.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #38

These comments are great. Thank you! I'll add mine once I test drive and/or purchase.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #39

For whatever the gas mileage you get in the last few years with the Fit, they are "claiming" a few more horsepower and a tiny bit more torque with the new engine(2015). Also claiming 15% better mpg.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I have been very happy with my Fit. It perfectly meets my needs. If something happened to my car, I would immediately go out and buy another Fit.
Same here - I love my Fit. I had a Civic before it and prefer the Fit. My bike fits in the back, and I get better mileage with the Fit (averaging about 37 MPG).