Join Early Retirement Today

Fixed Income Options
Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fixed Income Options

I'm about to roll over a CD and am less than thrilled with the nominal 4% for a 2 year CD. Does anyone have a non-mutual fund suggestion for "safe" fixed income. I want to know when the fixed income principle will be returned with a "guaranteed" amount. This would be very safe money.

I'm not interested in preferreds or mutual funds. This is the ultra-safe bucket.

I'm considering TIPS and just eating the low interest rate CD. I just thought I'd see what other people may have stumbled across.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OOh, ooh! I know, I know! Pay off your mortgage! Then refinance in the future to get your money back.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm about to roll over a CD and am less than thrilled with the nominal 4% for a 2 year CD. Does anyone have a non-mutual fund suggestion for "safe" fixed income. I want to know when the fixed income principle will be returned with a "guaranteed" amount. This would be very safe money.

I'm not interested in preferreds or mutual funds. This is the ultra-safe bucket.

I'm considering TIPS and just eating the low interest rate CD. I just thought I'd see what other people may have stumbled across.
It's a good question. I am not very thrilled with most bonds lately, but I have heard that municipal bonds are good.

I wouldn't want to invest in any long term CD's right now. I also wouldn't want to invest in gold.. Thorny problem. I have mine in MM (which isn't paying well) and bond funds right now (some of which seem to be worse). I have a little time to read and learn while they sit there losing ground with respect to inflation.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

There are several FDIC savings accounts that are in the 3.5% range. Safe as a CD - almost the same interest and liquidity to move when the interest rates increase (as they must)
Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

here's a 5 year cd at 5.28%: Bank Deals - Best Rates and Deals
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Munis. Buy a GO bond ad go back to sleep until maturity.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #7

Annuity?

Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think I'd rather go back to the 'pay off the mortgage' portion of the program.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I just thought I'd see what other people may have stumbled across.
4.25% APY 6 mo. CD, FDIC, at a bank under US Comptroller letter to raise their capitol. Ads seem to be in local paper & last about 2 weeks. Seem to be restricted to local residents.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Munis. Buy a GO bond ad go back to sleep until maturity.
Buying bonds directly or bond funds?

What are the yields and maturities?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #11

I neglected to say that this is in my IRA so munis and paying off the mortgage aren't viable options.

Many years ago I thought paying off the mortgage was a good idea (about 14% at the time). Unfortunately, I lost my job and suddenly had 3 months of living expenses including unemployment outside of my home equity. Since the biggest employer in town was laying people off in droves, home prices plummetted. I luckily got a new job quickly and the new employer did a home buy at my original purchase price.

Ever since then, having at least 1 year of living expenses readily available in an after tax account has been a basic feature of my financial planning.

I suspect that I'll get the short term CD and keep on with my original plan.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Buying bonds directly or bond funds?

What are the yields and maturities?
If you want a specified sum at a particular time, single bond is the way to go. Yield depends on maturity and issuer, but they compare quite favorably with treasuries and CDs if you are in the 25% or higher bracket.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Muni bonds or short-term cash CDs (6 month CD). As others have stated, with interest rates and inflation in the state that they are now, once the election date is over, interest rates may finally start to rise, hurting bond prices. Would not lock in long-term to that!
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Muni bonds or short-term cash CDs (6 month CD). As others have stated, with interest rates and inflation in the state that they are now, once the election date is over, interest rates may finally start to rise, hurting bond prices. Would not lock in long-term to that!
That's why I want to stay reasonably short. I don't think that interest rates will go up before the election no matter what. If the banking mess calms down with inflation where it is, I expect a quick 2% increase in the fed funds. More could easily follow.

I bought a 4.25% CD that matures in Dec 2009. I didn't want to go out 4 years for 5%.