Join Early Retirement Today

Fixed income question
Old 08-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fixed income question

Hello Everyone.
I’d like to pick your brains on what kind of strategy I should use. I will retire soon with a pension that will provide me with $5000 per month. However, I need $7,000 per month to live as I do now. Thus, I am short $2,000 per month. I will be 62 years old in 7 years and my SS will provide me with the $2,000 I need. However for the next 7 years, I can either withdrawal the $2,000 shortfall every month from my savings of $350k at which point my nest egg will decrease by $140k or so, or I can lock my $350k for 7 years in some sort of a financial product that would provide me with the $2000 every month for the next 7 years so that at the end of the 7 years, I would still have my principal.

My $350k is in stocks now and does make about 8% per year taxable. I guess i can continue doing so and just sell stock every year. But isn’t there an easier way to do what I want to do?

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you in advance.
Pompano Beach
pompanobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need a 7% return. Equities will get you there, but with return sequence risk. I think you need to cut expenses. Just my 2 cents.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
gone traveling

So you want some sort of vehicle that can reliably throw off about 6.8% and still keep the principal intact? Seems like you'll need to take on some risk to do that, just like you are doing now with your 8% return.

Is your pension inflation-protected? If not you may wish to consider delaying your social security benefits until 70.

Is this $350k all the savings you have? You may wish to consider delaying your retirement a few years.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
You need a 7% return. Equities will get you there, but with return sequence risk. I think you need to cut expenses. Just my 2 cents.

That’s what I thought. Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
So you want some sort of vehicle that can reliably throw off about 6.8% and still keep the principal intact? Seems like you'll need to take on some risk to do that, just like you are doing now with your 8% return.

Is your pension inflation-protected? If not you may wish to consider delaying your social security benefits until 70.

Is this $350k all the savings you have? You may wish to consider delaying your retirement a few years.

Yes. My pension has a 2% COLA.
Delaying retirement isn’t an option. If I don’t go, I loose big time with contract changes. But I guess I can always get part time job or cut expenses.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think you will get a fixed income that will return the amount you need to keep your $2000/mo and not deplete the principle. As others suggested, you need higher returns and this brings risk. It also means going from fixed income into equities.

Second the question if you have any other savings besides the $350K. Good for the nice pension, and able to get SS once you have more years age. The problem is getting the $24K/year income off your savings as you have identified.

The other options are to work a bit longer, or reduce expenses some.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompanobeach View Post
But I guess I can always get part time job or cut expenses.
Yes, those are certainly options.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I don't think you will get a fixed income that will return the amount you need to keep your $2000/mo and not deplete the principle. As others suggested, you need higher returns and this brings risk. It also means going from fixed income into equities.

Second the question if you have any other savings besides the $350K. Good for the nice pension, and able to get SS once you have more years age. The problem is getting the $24K/year income off your savings as you have identified.

The other options are to work a bit longer, or reduce expenses some.

Thank you for your advice. I will probably need to cut a little more expenses and try to live on the pension alone since it has a 2% COLA anyway. I may just dip into savings for taxes and vacations, etc..
Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you for your advice. I will probably need to cut a little more expenses and try to live on the pension alone since it has a 2% COLA anyway. I may just dip into savings for taxes and vacations, etc..

If you use the 4% rule as a guideline, you could get $14K/year and not have much concern for the depleting savings issue. Let's call it $1000/mo with a little cushion, so you would only need to cut $1000 from your planned $7000/mo budget. Unless you have a high COL area, most can live pretty well on $6000/mo as long as you keep eye on the discretionary spending.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you use the 4% rule as a guideline, you could get $14K/year and not have much concern for the depleting savings issue. Let's call it $1000/mo with a little cushion, so you would only need to cut $1000 from your planned $7000/mo budget. Unless you have a high COL area, most can live pretty well on $6000/mo as long as you keep eye on the discretionary spending.

Nice! I like that idea. So, you are saying, try to get a good safe yield and only withdraw $1000 a month for the 7 years and I will still have most of my principal left.... correct?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Nice! I like that idea. So, you are saying, try to get a good safe yield and only withdraw $1000 a month for the 7 years and I will still have most of my principal left.... correct?

That's correct. Since you would like to cover both near term income and longer term inflation protection, you might investigate a fund like Vanguard Wellington (VWELX), or Fidelity Balanced(FBALX) for examples. Both of which are approx 60/40 equities to fixed income asset allocation. Both are low fees, and having the AA mix will offer less risk and better stability.

If you stayed in 100% stocks you will have a lot more risk and more chance for a downturn in stock values to cause you concern for depleting the principle. While VWELX or FBALX can both also go down if stocks take a downturn, the 40% fixed income portion will help minimize some of the loss. A pure bond fund could be considered for your needs as well, but you would reduce the inflation protection while increasing the shorter term stability of monthly income. A 40/60 AA mix can be had with Vanguard Wellesley (VWINX) as another option to look into. Widely held funds are also going to be less volatile than individual stocks. Not sure what you are invested in right now.

Just remember there is no guarantee of returns, so having flexibility in your budget can help by changing the withdrawal to meet conditions and performance of the savings.

Actually, after all this typing, I think the Wellesley would meet all your needs, it has a good track record of meeting your minimum 4% need, with many years doing better. That better years means your savings will grow slightly, so you could take a larger withdrawal, or save it for leaner years or an unexpected large expense.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's correct. Since you would like to cover both near term income and longer term inflation protection, you might investigate a fund like Vanguard Wellington (VWELX), or Fidelity Balanced(FBALX) for examples. Both of which are approx 60/40 equities to fixed income asset allocation. Both are low fees, and having the AA mix will offer less risk and better stability.

If you stayed in 100% stocks you will have a lot more risk and more chance for a downturn in stock values to cause you concern for depleting the principle. While VWELX or FBALX can both also go down if stocks take a downturn, the 40% fixed income portion will help minimize some of the loss. A pure bond fund could be considered for your needs as well, but you would reduce the inflation protection while increasing the shorter term stability of monthly income. A 40/60 AA mix can be had with Vanguard Wellesley (VWINX) as another option to look into. Widely held funds are also going to be less volatile than individual stocks. Not sure what you are invested in right now.

Just remember there is no guarantee of returns, so having flexibility in your budget can help by changing the withdrawal to meet conditions and performance of the savings.

Actually, after all this typing, I think the Wellesley would meet all your needs, it has a good track record of meeting your minimum 4% need, with many years doing better. That better years means your savings will grow slightly, so you could take a larger withdrawal, or save it for leaner years or an unexpected large expense.

Thank you so much!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me personally, I would just take $140K from your stash and put it in cash investments (CD's, MM) and withdraw monthly or yearly from that for the next 7 years. All done!!
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #14

If it was me, I would take the 350K and invest it in a bond fund to provide the income I needed. One of the funds I was looking at would provide only 1691 a month approximately every month, leaving you short a little over 300 a month. You could invest it more aggressively to get the extra 300 you want, but I wouldn't do that.

If you did that I think it's too risky. I would look for ways to cut your spending down to match the 1691 a month. But that's what I would do. It's your money, you get to decide.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice. Which bond fund were you looking at?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Simple but it works! I may get less of avreturn but it is simple! Thanks.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #17

I like RPIHX. That's T. Rowe Price global high income bond fund. I own it myself. The payments are very consistent and mostly predictable. Look it over and see if it would work for you. Look at the history of payments and what it can offer you. T. Rowe Price is not the cheapest fund company, but it's very worthy .

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I like RPIHX. That's T. Rowe Price global high income bond fund. I own it myself. The payments are very consistent and mostly predictable. Look it over and see if it would work for you. Look at the history of payments and what it can offer you. T. Rowe Price is not the cheapest fund company, but it's very worthy .

Thank you so much!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
It's a young fund (3 years old). It's a small fund ($100M). It has a high ER (1.13% gross, 0.78% net) and it invests in junk bonds:

Strategy
The fund invests primarily in global, below-investment grade corporate debt securities. The Fund normally invests at least 80% of its net assets in bonds and 50% in foreign securities. The Fund may invest up to 20% of its net assets in bank loans.

That's a lot of risk for a 3% premium.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
It's a young fund (3 years old). It's a small fund ($100M). It has a high ER (1.13% gross, 0.78% net) and it invests in junk bonds:

Strategy

The fund invests primarily in global, below-investment grade corporate debt securities. The Fund normally invests at least 80% of its net assets in bonds and 50% in foreign securities. The Fund may invest up to 20% of its net assets in bank loans.

That's a lot of risk for a 3% premium.

Thanks for the info but no thanks! Very risky...