Join Early Retirement Today

Flagship Status at Vanguard
Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Flagship Status at Vanguard

Anyone here know if there is a real advantage to being at the Flagship status at Vanguard versus Select if you don't do any stock trades? Are the representatives any better?

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You get free Turbotax (at least last year) and a free annual financial planning session if you ask. Huge advantages?- no--nice? yes.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

The representatives are better and definitely quicker in responding to your question/request, etc. A few years ago the IRS sent me an audit/deficiency about my IRA/SEPP and my rep immediately connected me with the Vanguard Retirement Group who really knew the subject matter. The point here is that the reps do have good knowledge, are quick to respond, know what they don't know and who the best Vanguard resource is to answer your question.
I have been a Flagship for about 9 years. Another small advantage to Flagship is the free Turbo Tax on-line preparation which saves $25 or more depending on Tax Form and state income tax requirements.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No real advantage other than to say, "I'm Flagship" which makes folks either bow down in homage or turn up their noses in disgust. It's a gimmick.

I'm rowboat status, BTW. I prefer to use a cheaper financial institution than Vanguard.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

They also have online interactive seminars (webinars) for flagship members.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
No real advantage other than to say, "I'm Flagship" which makes folks either bow down in homage or turn up their noses in disgust. It's a gimmick.

I'm rowboat status, BTW. I prefer to use a cheaper financial institution than Vanguard.

Who is cheaper than Vanguard And what do you use them for?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$2.00 trades
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

I think Flagship ($1M+) gets you free trades (a limited number per year), versus Voyager Select ($500K-$1M) which is $2/trade. Both levels have a certain number of free trades on Vanguard ETFs.

Cost of a stock trade is so cheap that it is really no longer a differentiator among most brokerages.

Like the earlier poster said, the biggest benefit of Flagship is higher quality reps.

Kramer
Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #9

Yup, there are some for free and then 2 bucks after that.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Access to at least ten Admiral funds....
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Who is cheaper than Vanguard And what do you use them for?
WellsFargo PMA package is cheaper than Vanguard. I use them to buy even Vanguard funds and ETFs without commission. You don't need a million dollars, but you do need $25,000 which fits nicely in my rowboat. WF has better 1099 downloads into TurboTax and other benefits discussed somewhere around here many times. It is true that Vanguard has started to charge no commissions, but they are playing a catch-up game and still have not completely integrated the brokerage with the mutual fund side of the business. At WF, it is all seamless with your checking account ... and completely free (including free checks to tie into another thread).
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
WellsFargo PMA package is cheaper than Vanguard. I use them to buy even Vanguard funds and ETFs without commission. You don't need a million dollars, but you do need $25,000 which fits nicely in my rowboat. WF has better 1099 downloads into TurboTax and other benefits discussed somewhere around here many times. It is true that Vanguard has started to charge no commissions, but they are playing a catch-up game and still have not completely integrated the brokerage with the mutual fund side of the business. At WF, it is all seamless with your checking account ... and completely free (including free checks to tie into another thread).

Thanks.... I had read this here at one time or another... but never did anything about it... will look into it....