"The flashback budget"

justin said:
One day, when you guys are old and frail, I'll finally be able to snatch the pebble from the master's hand! :D

No No Noooo! You don't want to snatch a pebble; you should snatch our Vanguard (low fee) funds. Geez.

Greg said:
No No Noooo! You don't want to snatch a pebble; you should snatch our Vanguard (low fee) funds. Geez.

You see I tricked you. You were guarding those worthless pebbles while I was snatching your low fee Vanguard Admiral shares. :D

justin said:
One day, when you guys are old and frail, I'll finally be able to snatch the pebble from the master's hand! :D
Greg said:
justin said:
You see I tricked you. You were guarding those worthless pebbles while I was snatching your low fee Vanguard Admiral shares. :D
Guys, guys... you're missing the point. The pebble never existed in the first place-- it's an existentialist metaphor!

There are plenty of pebbles for everyone... no need to snatch them.

Clearly we all need to watch more "Kung Fu" episodes from the collector's DVD edition.

REWahoo! said:
Once again the insidious effects of long-term radiation exposure rears it's ugly head.
No matter how good it looks, you can only watch "Road House" and "Terminator" so many times when you're patrolling the Sea of Okhotsk...

Nords said:
No matter how good it looks, you can only watch "Road House" and "Terminator" so many times when you're patrolling the Sea of Okhotsk...

Hmmmm. Meanwhile, the SACumcised steely-eyed killers sitting in on Alert waiting for the horn to go off signaling the start of WWIII were watching "Dr. Strangelove" and "Young Frankenstein"....

justin said:
That would make me really jealous. Except I have Castle Greyskull, Snake Mountain (Skeletor's castle), He-man bedsheets, and a ton of other He-man stuff my mother saved from when I was a kid. :D

I recall having Thunderbirds sheets, but I was born in '74 so you might have been too young to know about them. I liked He-man, but looking back on things now, why would I want to sleep on a bed with a muscled dude when I could be sleeping on top of She-Ra!? :cool:

On a related note, up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-start anybody? :D

Uhh, Super Mario Bros?

justin said:
On a related note, up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-start anybody? :D

Jane Fonda? or Pong?

The Police had a song I can believe in, "Born in the 50s"

Never trust anyone under 40 is my motto.

REWahoo! said:
Hmmmm. Meanwhile, the SACumcised steely-eyed killers sitting in on Alert waiting for the horn to go off signaling the start of WWIII were watching "Dr. Strangelove" and "Young Frankenstein"....
Ah, the black humor of mutual assured destruction. "No fighting in the War Room!" was our unofficial command motto.

I don't know what it was like in the silos, but whenever an Emergency Action Message arrived on USS JAMES MONROE (even if it was clearly just a comms check) the OOD had to announce "Alert ONE, alert ONE" on the shipwide PA system. Upon hearing that announcement, we pissed off highly-trained & responsive officers had to drop whatever we were holding at the moment and rush up to the top-secret spaces to validate the supremely critical news of KNEECAP's weekend plans strategic importance to the nation's security. For extra bonus points this was usually accomplished between 2 AM and 4 AM. Regardless of my perception of the system's utility, CO's careers were made or broken by their response time & accuracy. Let's just say that the officers were under considerable pressure from the executive suite to make them* look good.

Unbeknownst to the wardroom a couple of more "experienced" pranksters crewmen had told a young sailor that when he heard the "Alert ONE" announcement it meant we were goin' to war & ripple-launching 16 big ones, followed by the "Miller Time" jingle. Others had suggested that he should be skeptical of these assurances (especially the ones uttered by engineering nukes) so he didn't really believe that.

He didn't believe it, that is, until he heard the announcement and saw the crowd of panicked officers burst out of the wardroom shouting "Gangway!!", scampering pell-mell into Radio, and slamming the door shut. Activity on the ship seemed to screech to a halt while the Missile Division raced to their spaces to get ready for launch parameters. From the looks on the wardroom's faces he knew his worst fears had materialized.

We almost had to MEDEVAC the guy before we sorted things out.

From then on all cryptic PA system announcements were thoroughly explained to the new crewmembers before we got underway.

*The executive suite, not the officers.

bssc said:
The Police had a song I can believe in, "Born in the 50s"
I wonder what all "The Who"'s grandkids think when they hear the lyric "Hope I die before I get old!"

On a related note, up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-start anybody?

To kill the suspense, I'll reveal the secret - it's the code to get 30 lives (instead of the standard 3 lives) in Konami arcade-style games released in the late 80's and early 1990's. Contra and Lifeforce are two games that come to mind for the Nintendo Entertainment System (8 bit). Anyone guy who was 8 to 18 years old in the late 80's should know this code by heart.

And I thought older folks knew everything... ;) You guys were probably doing more important things than saving the world from hostile invading space aliens around 1988, huh?

samclem said:
Nope, don't know that one. How about "Ctrl+K D"?

Ctrl+ K D = "Save my work and exit" in Wordstar. Yep, the good old days of the C: prompt and DOS. Wordstar wasn't very forgiving--if you selected "Exit" it would rapidly comply, without offfering users the chance to save their work. I got burned several times.

Only 3% of the respondents said iPods were a necessity, I am sure that 20% of the 70s respondents said that 8 tracks were a necessity.

bssc said:
Only 3% of the respondents said iPods were a necessity, I am sure that 20% of the 70s respondents said that 8 tracks were a necessity.

I don't have an iPod and never had an 8 track. I rarely play the few CDs I have. Quiet is a wonderful thing.

Khan said:
I don't have an iPod and never had an 8 track. I rarely play the few CDs I have. Quiet is a wonderful thing.
Can you download this "Quiet" from iTunes?

samclem said:
Ctrl+ K D = "Save my work and exit" in Wordstar. Yep, the good old days of the C: prompt and DOS. Wordstar wasn't very forgiving--if you selected "Exit" it would rapidly comply, without offfering users the chance to save their work. I got burned several times.

maybe so, but it sure was fast once you got used to it. Before the days of mice, you could move around in a large text file very quickly using control sequences and didn't have to take your hands off the keyboard to use a mouse cursor. The advent of the mouse and Word seriously slowed things down.

The commands in Word Star were laid out so you could leave your little finger on the left control key and move the cursor anywhere in the file rapidly. Rather than being mnemonic, the positioning commands ere laid out for maximum efficiency.

Actually, Word Star even predated DOS, being happy to run on CP/M.

Ahh...those were the days.

bosco said:
maybe so, but it sure was fast once you got used to it. Before the days of mice, you could move around in a large text file very quickly using control sequences and didn't have to take your hands off the keyboard to use a mouse cursor. The advent of the mouse and Word seriously slowed things down.
. . . . Actually, Word Star even predated DOS, being happy to run on CP/M.

Ahh...those were the days.

I know that word processing professionals (typists, secretaries) liked Wordstar a lot for the reasons you cite. If it worked under CP/M, I could have been running it on my old Commodore 128! That would have been pretty nice.

samclem said:
I could have been running it on my old Commodore 128!

Whaddya mean old Commodore 128...I've been thinking of UPGRADING to that! ::) ::)

Gues I'll have to unpack the Commodore 64 hook up the floppy drive (5 1/2") and see if I can get the old programs working again :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

USK Coastie said:
Gues I'll have to unpack the Commodore 64 hook up the floppy drive (5 1/2") and see if I can get the old programs working again :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I still have 8" floppies with my master's thesis on them, done in WordStar.

Of course, there's no hardware out there to read them. But it was fun to wave them at the young punks in the office to show them what they missed.

Back
Top Bottom