Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back in the 80's I worked as a civilian tech-rep for the Navy supporting electronic systems on aircraft carriers, made two full 'west-pac' cruises. Before arriving for the first time my expectations were extremely low, that the food served on board would be the same crap I got in my college dorm cafeteria. Boy was I surprised, we ate in the officers mess and the food was generally very good. The exception being the few times we were at sea for extended times and hadn't been re-supplied in awhile, they just didn't have much to work with.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Sorry about the title, cat hit the send button before I was ready.
Yeah, that happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat keyboard.jpg (32.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Bear in mind how much a 50 pound can of coffee is likely to sell for!
Sold? Those can be sold?!?

I thought they were just for barter or an alternate form of shipyard currency-- or a temporary deckplate covering for the first few months underway...

We had one 90-day patrol get extended for "a few days", and during that time we had a chance to assess the truly important things in life. It turns out that you can come up with a lot of alternatives for movies and toilet paper, let alone food, but there's no acceptable substitute for real Navy coffee.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Sorry about the title, cat hit the send button before I was ready.

If you are a Military Retiree and you live near an Air Force Base you may want to visit the Dining Facility. Prices are cheap, 4 of us had cooked breakfast for about ten bucks. Can't speak for the quality of meals at all facilities but at the Patrick AFB, was so much better than any Army facility I've ever eaten at.

New era in food service coming to Air Force bases
I was at Patrick yesterday at about 0715, maybe you saw me. I was the only Navy person in the building. Everyone kept calling me Major, even though my flightsuit has gold oak leaves, not the rusty USAF ones.

Great food, especially for the price. I noticed that USAF dining facilities charge a la carte. The USN galleys I have been to have the same quality food, but everyone pays the same price, regardless of what you want to eat. The one here at NAS New Orleans gets pretty busy sometimes.

The Coast Guard galley in Key West is rumored to be the best one in CONUS.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I was at Patrick yesterday at about 0715, maybe you saw me. I was the only Navy person in the building. Everyone kept calling me Major, even though my flightsuit has gold oak leaves, not the rusty USAF ones.

Great food, especially for the price. I noticed that USAF dining facilities charge a la carte. The USN galleys I have been to have the same quality food, but everyone pays the same price, regardless of what you want to eat. The one here at NAS New Orleans gets pretty busy sometimes.

The Coast Guard galley in Key West is rumored to be the best one in CONUS.

Yeah, the Air Force went to that ala carte thing a few years back, I don't know exactly what they get out of it...most people on active duty who eat in the base dining facilities are single & authorized to eat free of charge & so they don't pay anything. Not that many people who are paid bas (extra pay for food because they're with dependents) eat in the chow halls because they can actually eat cheaper at other places around base (Burger King, base bowling alley etc.) or even off base. Reservists who are drilling on weekends can also eat free, so again, I don't know why the bother with the ala cart thing, unless maybe somehow it helps with inventory purposes. The Air Force for some reason just likes to be different....
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
The Air Force for some reason just likes to be different....
Slow, fat, right over the plate. Not touchin' it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #27

uh-ohhh...

What I meant to say was, the Air Force likes to lead the way...set the pace!

Yeah...that's it!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Slow, fat, right over the plate. Not touchin' it...

Watch it now. I may take offense to that.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Watch it now. I may take offense to that.

nahhh..just have to consider the source (Navy)

Everybody knows those guys have impairments due to their brains sloshing around in their heads from years out on the rough water...lol

I shared an office with a retired Navy Master Chief a couple of years ago...just the two of us, one Navy and one Air Force (me), both senior NCO's. I bet we set a world's record for two guys throwing one-liners at each other!

That said, he's a helluva guy, and we still zing each other regularly through email. Frickin' Navy pukes!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

All those vicious interservice rivalries got started on their service-academy competition fields and just sort of mutated from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Everybody knows those guys have impairments due to their brains sloshing around in their heads from years out on the rough water...lol
"Diving Officer, it seems like it's a little rough up there. Make your depth 400 feet, and ask the galley to make sure the ice cream machine has had enough time to chill a big batch before we get off watch. I don't want to have to live like I'm in the Air Force!"