Join Early Retirement Today

Foreign Bonds Anyone?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Foreign Bonds Anyone?

With real estate in the dumps, stocks sinking, and domestic bonds/CD paying so little, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting into the foreign bond/CD markets. Iceland pays crazy high returns on CD's. Ditto New Zealand. Warren Buffett apparently won't deal in dollars, but only in Euro's. How does the simple man follow Uncle Warren's advice?
Jeff55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For foreign currency CDs, you can try Everbank. For bonds denominated in foreign currencies you can try a number of mutual funds such as BEGBX or, the one I own, LSGLX. Make sure it is unhedged if you want to be able to capture the upside of a dollar meltdown. But I think you should ask yourself if, with the dollar at a all time low Vs. many currencies, now is the time to invest in such an asset. Many pessimists would say yes (in order to protect your wealth against a collapse of the dollar), some would say no...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use LSGLX too, just bought some more on Monday
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But I think you should ask yourself if, with the dollar at a all time low Vs. many currencies, now is the time to invest in such an asset. Many pessimists would say yes (in order to protect your wealth against a collapse of the dollar), some would say no...
This is something I've been wondering about. I've been hearing various people (the very pessimistic ones anyway) talk about things like converting their 401k to Euros, things like that. However, that strikes me as incredibly dumb (unless, as you mentioned, they believe the dollar is on the brink of collapse). Assuming the dollar doesn't collapse, aren't you just locking in your losses? In other words, buying high and selling low?

Granted, most of the people I come across advocating this, I wouldn't trust to take out my garbage, let alone give me financial advice. Still though, just curious about it.
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Exchange rate risk in any investment in foreign denominations.

Forex adventure is a game for experts.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too bad VG does not have a foreign bond fund (high quality).
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #7

I'm using GIM
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Stop chasing new funds, guys! If you don't have something in your AA you should think real hard before adding it - because it generally looks appealing after it had a huge run. Think about it

-h
Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I agree, my stocks are balanced with foreign, but I have to go outside V to get the same balance in bondsshredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The counter example comes from David Swensen at Yale who says for foreign exposure own equity than bonds because the ER on those are low compared to the bond funds. You might be able to get similar performance of foreign bonds by splitting the AA of foreign bonds between foreign equity and domestic bonds all with a lower ER. Something to think about - though I should see if I can simulate this

-h
Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a current owner of BEGBX. Does this thread mean it's time for me to sell?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Exchange rate risk in any investment in foreign denominations.

Forex adventure is a game for experts.
Whooo I signed up last summer and started trading in their simulated practice account. First couple trades the money was fast and easy. I went away for a few days and was buried into negative territory. Sure was glad I learned that lesson with pretend money.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Perhaps for good reason.
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
Perhaps for good reason.
And those reasons would be?
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Couple reasons.

1) High cost. VG's domestic bond funds are pretty cheap, coming in about 0.2% ER. Most foreign bond funds have a considerably (3-4x) higher expense.

2) Bonds serve as an anchor to a portfolio by virtue of their low correlations to equities. Foreign bonds do not offer much 'extra' in this regard, and when viewed in this light there is no reason to include them at their much higher expense.

3) You can get foreign currency exposure by holding foreign equities. Expense ratio of foreign equity funds are generally lower than foreign bond funds.. so if you need more exposure, buy more foreign equities. Its cheaper and accomplishes the same task.

Add those up, and you'll see why foreign bonds are not necessary. I can't speak for VG, but I'd speculate that there would be relatively low demand and higher expenses to run the fund.
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I also have BEGBX and took took some profits and rebalanced earlier this week. IMO the $ is resting but will continue its decline if the FED keeps cutting rates. Then again how much lower can rates go?

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
3) You can get foreign currency exposure by holding foreign equities. Expense ratio of foreign equity funds are generally lower than foreign bond funds.. so if you need more exposure, buy more foreign equities. Its cheaper and accomplishes the same task.
But most foreign equity funds are currency hedged, so you don't get the FX exposure you would from holding foreign stocks directly.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
But most foreign equity funds are currency hedged, so you don't get the FX exposure you would from holding foreign stocks directly.
no - very few foreign equity funds are currency hedged. Tweedy is one of the few that is.

-h
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #19

I sold my stake in BEGBX on Monday. Viva la dollar!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I sold my stake in BEGBX on Monday. Viva la dollar!
I was wondering about buying this fund. It was recommended by Brewer some time ago and I liked it but will not get control over my 401K fund for about another month. I guess the best time to buy this fund has passed.
Now I have to figure out what to add to my AA or just keep with my Target Retirement fund.

Tags
foreign bonds