Foreign Investments

freedom42

Dryer sheet aficionado
I've started looking into info on investing in foreign countries. It looks like the only way to do it is with a broker. I'm just looking for some basic info. One example is Panama with CD rates ,specifically with credit unions, that I can't "confirm" anywhere, of 7 to 8%. I've also found info stating you need to be a resident of Panama to invest. Anyone have some info on this? or actual rates of return? Brokerage fees? Risks? Any input? Thanks in advance.

How about international mutual funds? No broker required if you like to DIY. :)

Some brokerages allow direct trades on foreign exchanges. Check out EverBank.com for foreign currency CD's. I wouldn't touch any of that with a 10' pole unless I was going to be a full-time professional investor. Even doing my own taxes for foreign mutual funds is a PITA, and I'm trying to keep it simple.

Fidelity will let you trade on some foreign exchanges in the local currency, but there are higher brokerage fees than with domestic exchanges, and also currency exchange fees. I have done it profitably a few times, but you do need to understand what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom