Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you save used tissues for later noseblows?
Yes 23 40.35%
No 34 59.65%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Forget Dryer sheets... do you reuse tissues?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re-use a Kleenex(TM) ? Ahhh, no.

DW finds unused clean ones that I left in a pants pocket. She finds them in the dryer... in an infinite number of small shreds, attached to everything. I have become very diligent on checking all pockets before throwing clothes into the wash. I do not understand the mechanism, but somehow, once in a while, kleenexes can still occasionally create themselves in pockets after I have checked! D*mn Kimberly-Clark!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #22

Cloth hankies used to be considered to be a stylish accessory displayed hanging out of a suit pocket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief

Is it any wonder people didn't hug each other very much in the 50's? I'll take my kleenex in the garlic jar over wearing an unsanitary rag at the height of my lady friend's head.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #23

FUnny! I remember hearing this great "hawking a loogie" sound on a NYC subway platform. Turn around and find a small 10-yr.old Chinese girl. The "farmer's nose blow" indeed. Hey, it's ecological and energy effiicient.. no killing of trees or laundry problems.

I have found (I won't go into how) that certain folks here hew by the "sink" method.

We just came back from our yoga class, where our teacher had us practice a particular "purification" exercise that was, essentially, emphatic and ritualized nose-blowing. She did distribute tissues at the outset!

I admit to occasional re-use, mostly for laziness reasons when I've got a real runny nose. Also, it seems like if I only use 10% of the tissue, 15 minutes later who cares? It's certainly not as 'gross' as a handkerchief, and it's not like I re-proffer them for general use.

[Makes you wonder about all those old films where the beau whips out a handkerchief in support of the weeping dame.]
Old 01-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
And you save on haircuts, too ;-)
As well as mousse & styling gel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I've got to say I just don't get the cloth hankies. Maybe it's just a generational thing? I think Maxim magazine said it best when commenting on them "what's next, carrying around used toilet paper in your briefcase?"
Spouse's grandfather, a young adult during the Russian Revolution and a working adult during the American Depression, could never understand why anyone would use something just once and throw it away. She could never understand why someone would empty their sinuses into a rag and carry it around all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid
AMAZING!!----The knowledge one can absorb, over the internet.
Thank goodness it's text only, no photos or video...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Cloth handkerchiefs.
Haven't had a cold in years.
So how many times can you use a cloth handkerchief anyway? Three, four, maybe five times? And then what? I suppose in the wash it goes. All stuck together and stuff. Mmmmmm. I think I'll "stick" with a single use of a Kleenex (oops, I mean tissue.)
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
So how many times can you use a cloth handkerchief anyway? Three, four, maybe five times? And then what? I suppose in the wash it goes. All stuck together and stuff. Mmmmmm. I think I'll "stick" with a single use of a Kleenex (oops, I mean tissue.)

Snot is water soluble.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we're all contributing...blowing your nose multiple times into a kleenex then bunching it up with toilet paper for added bulk to wipe with seems pretty efficient.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

reuse? - I can't use just one - got to blow into one and clean up with another.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #29

I use cloth hankies whenever possible. I've had a tissue-phobia since I was a little kid. The way they disolve into pulp when soggy gags me.

When I have a cold I take two hankies per day. One in pocket spare in purse. Usually gets me through anything but the worst cold.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
I'm surprised that LBYM crowd have not suggested a "highlander" or "native american Indian" solution: Just blow it on the ground - no need to use very expensive tissues.
I've heard this technique referred to as the "coach's hanky." However, the method that I think is the most impressive was the one that I observed Masai women use on their babes in Kenya: when the baby had a snot-nose, she would literally suck the snot out of the kid's nose and spit it on the ground. Not sure if it qualifies as frugality since there were no convenience stores nearby and using cow dung would probably be less pleasant....
Old 01-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

I've started carrying a cloth handkerchief. It does double duty because I can clean my glasses on the end I'm not using for my nose.

It's also softer than wood-pulp tissues on an irritated nose.

Vickifool
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #32

Okay, considering that about 40% of voters are of the "reuse" persuasion - yet are dramatically overwhelmed by the single-use voters - I'll bravely step forward and admit to reusing them.

My problem, however, is that no matter how neatly and systematically I fold 3 or 4 tissues into my pocket...after a day of walking around, the virgin ones look just as haggled as the one- and two-use ones that I've stuck back in there. So when it comes time to empty my pockets, I sometimes end up throwing away the whole batch just to be safe, rather than fish out an apparently never-used tissue, only to have to unfold it and discover that there's scant empty real estate left for my next deposit.

I've tried the "put the unused ones in the left pocket, and the used ones in the right", but then I'll invariably forget which is which.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband and I split one tissue during meal lately...... . That's an improvement.

It's not the money but I'm into "not wasting" non degradable items. He's getting the drift but still spend way more than me. I would use towels for counter tops etc, he prefers napkins. Used to drive me crazy.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv
My husband and I split one tissue during meal lately...... . That's an improvement.
That must really cut down on the grocery bills...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote