Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Forgot to claim IRA deduction in 2006
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Forgot to claim IRA deduction in 2006

I know what my options are - file an ammended 1040X for 2006 or file an 8606. Sounds easy right? When you get down to actually doing it I don't understand the instructions on the form 8606. It sounds like alot of blah blah blah. Can I use the 8606 dtd 2008 without attaching to my 1040? Or am I suppose to use form 8606 from 2006? What if I filed a 1040EZ in 2006? Can I still claim the deduction? If I fill out the 8606 does the IRS notify me of my basis so I can convert the non deductible part into a Roth account? (Maybe I'm just burned out from tax season). Did anyone participate in any Tea Parties? I would have gone but I was too busy finishing my taxes. Any help is appreciated.

pshimkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,067
I'm guessing a bit since your post wasn't crystal clear (at least to me). You filed 1040EZ in 2006 when you had an TIRA that was partially deductible (due to income limitations?).
1040EZ has no line for an IRA deduction so for that, and perhaps other reasons, you did not take a deduction then.

If that is your situation , I would think you would file a 1040X for that year to get the deduction part and also an 8606 to claim the non-deductible part (basis). I would use the 2006 year 8606 w/ perhaps an explanatory note. Perhaps if you tried the 8606 a few months from now, you'd have more luck........if it's your first one , there are only a few lines to fill out. It's not that bad if you follow the line by line instructions.

FYI, you can't just convert the non-deductible part into a least tax-wise ........since every conversion will consider all your IRAs together and assume that the conversion is composed of a mix of deductible and non-deductible parts and guess get to use 8606 to determine what that mix is.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forgot what day it was Khan Other topics 14 06-17-2008 12:17 PM
forgot to mail will to attorney stargazer08 Other topics 3 02-01-2008 01:00 AM
Forgot How To Archive PMs haha Forum Admin 3 07-24-2007 07:28 PM
Must withdrawl 2006 IRA. I'm Self Employed MonarchDon FIRE and Money 7 03-13-2007 02:30 PM
I almost forgot!!! brewer12345 Young Dreamers 5 03-03-2005 01:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.