Join Early Retirement Today

Formula for a 5% Dividend
Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw this at Bogleheads but not much commentary. I didn't understand the title as there is no 5% dividend discussed.

My questions are:

1) Why is this different than a 5% SWR?

2) Anybody think this will work?

Here's the link:

Forbes Welcome

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first response to the question of "Will it work" was "It's Forbes, so no."

My second response is well, it depends on the meaning of "works." It's a % of portfolio approach so by definition it can't ever go broke. But whether it maintains purchasing power with a 5% WR and a 100% equity portfolio at what may be the tippy top of an overvalued equity market is far more uncertain.

At the very least, someone taking this approach should be prepared to weather a 1/3 drop in annual income [(2%*.75 + 3%*.6)/5%-1] to accommodate a 25% dividend cut plus a 40% equity market drop similar to what happened in 2009. If that sounds like a workable scenario, then this just might be for you.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Here’s the formula. You spend your dividends, and you also spend the proceeds from selling 3% of your shares annually. Total payout, 5%. The 3% liquidation rate just balances the 3% dividend growth rate, leaving the payout, over the long term, where it started.
I think the flaw? is that you are liquidating 3% of your entire portfolio, and only getting a 3% growth on your dividend stream.

So I think you are depleting principal faster than the dividend actually grows in relation to your entire portfolio.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Administrator

I'm such a stick-in-the-mud - - I'm not excited enough about it to turn off AdBlocker so that I can see the article.

My thoughts about dividends are that if they are high, share price increases will suffer, and if they are low, share price increases will be higher.

My portfolio is mostly in broad index funds, although I also have 30% Wellesley.

As a game that I play with myself, I try to spend less than the dividends that I received the previous year. I have done that in every year of retirement so far, except for last year when I bought my dream home. This year will be a little dicey, too.

If I arranged a portfolio that gave me 5% dividends instead of my present, abysmal 2.x%, that would be cheating on this game. I admit it - - I cheat at solitaire!!! But I'm not inclined to cheat on my "living off my dividends" game.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm such a stick-in-the-mud - - I'm not excited enough about it to turn off AdBlocker so that I can see the article.
+1

It stinks that Forbes.com is now completely unusable for those of us who choose not to disable our ad blockers. Oh well... guess I'll just have to get my fill of financial articles & news from the other 500+ personal finance websites that don't use such heavy-handed tactics.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
I saw this at Bogleheads but not much commentary. I didn't understand the title as there is no 5% dividend discussed.

My questions are:

Here's the link:

Forbes Welcome
it is not really different . if a portfolio grows by the same total return then pulling the same amount is the same thing , but 5% is likely not a safe withdrawal rate in either case .

don't forget in both cases you need to make up either what you spent down or what was payed out in dividends and the resulting drop in the investment if you spent it .

the effect is the same .
Old 05-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post

My questions are:

Here's the link:

Forbes Welcome
Ridiculous fluff piece.

The author's premise is that taking the S&P dividend yield (which varies to some degree with the overall state of the economy) and adding 3%, you get a variable withdrawal strategy that protects your nest egg from overwithdrawing during downturns.

Here's the primary (glaring, IMO) flaw with the article: "For history we’ll go back 28 years, an interval that is not far from the plausible investment horizon of someone just now retiring. Also, it makes the arithmetic easy."

Sure - if you cherry-pick a specific portion of history that includes a nice secular bull market, you can justify an effectively higher withdrawal rate.

Fundamentally the author misdirects the audience with a lot of detailed numbers, while glossing over the fact that the only time period his strategy was "tested" against (and therefore can be said to be valid for), was the very specific time period from 1988 to today.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichw View Post
Ridiculous fluff piece.

The author's premise is that taking the S&P dividend yield (which varies to some degree with the overall state of the economy) and adding 3%, you get a variable withdrawal strategy that protects your nest egg from overwithdrawing during downturns.

Here's the primary (glaring, IMO) flaw with the article: "For history we’ll go back 28 years, an interval that is not far from the plausible investment horizon of someone just now retiring. Also, it makes the arithmetic easy."

Sure - if you cherry-pick a specific portion of history that includes a nice secular bull market, you can justify an effectively higher withdrawal rate.

Fundamentally the author misdirects the audience with a lot of detailed numbers, while glossing over the fact that the only time period his strategy was "tested" against (and therefore can be said to be valid for), was the very specific time period from 1988 to today.
No you can never over withdraw as you are only taking 3% of the portfolio principal, so there is no way to get to zero. Gone for Good summarized it pretty well. I think if you require a 5% withdrawal rate you should use the method outlined in my thread of the 5% withdrawal rate, payouts are more certain for at least the next year I think.

5% Withdrawal Rate Portfolio
Old 05-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
+1

It stinks that Forbes.com is now completely unusable for those of us who choose not to disable our ad blockers. Oh well... guess I'll just have to get my fill of financial articles & news from the other 500+ personal finance websites that don't use such heavy-handed tactics.
Funny thing is - I don't have an adblocker turned on, and Forbes tells me I have to turn off my adblocker. Well, Safari must be doing something Forbes doesn't like. But screw Forbes - that's so obnoxious!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
No you can never over withdraw as you are only taking 3% of the portfolio principal, so there is no way to get to zero. Gone for Good summarized it pretty well. I think if you require a 5% withdrawal rate you should use the method outlined in my thread of the 5% withdrawal rate, payouts are more certain for at least the next year I think.

5% Withdrawal Rate Portfolio
You're right - I misread the original article to be suggesting the Trinity-study like inflation adjusted withdrawal rate based on the initial portfolio, vs. a running adjustment. This means that "failure" rather than being a complete depletion of principal is not being able to withdraw enough to meet non-discretionary expenses.

I'll still stand by my criticism that looking at this strategy in light of one period is a fatal flaw.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have an add blocker on in Firefox and the Forbes article did not open when I first clicked on it. I clicked "allow" (once, not permanent) and re-clicked on the link and the article opened.

Gone4good's analysis seems right to me but the overall result appears to be very similar to a fixed percentage of portfolio approach. Is there any advantage to this one over a standard volatile fixed percent approach? Applying this approach to a 60/40 portfolio would you just go with this fluctuating ~5% of the equity portion plus actual dividends from the bond portion?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #12

Quote:
+1

I disabled mine and even tried adding Forbes to the adblocker allow list. Forbes still thinks the adblocker is on even with it off. I concluded they wouldn't be happy until it was uninstalled. I removed them from the allow list and won't go there.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
+1

I have adblocker enabled. The stupid quote appears for about five seconds, and then the story appears.