Join Early Retirement Today

Four timeless principles to help you reach your investment objectives (from Vanguard)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Four timeless principles to help you reach your investment objectives (from Vanguard)

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...nvestingtruths

They are:
1) Goals - Create clear, appropriate investment goals.
2) Balance - Develop a suitable asset allocation using broadly diversified funds.
3) Cost - Minimize cost.
4) Discipline - Maintain perspectiveand long-term discipline.

Nothing new to most here, but a good summary, and the PDF version is a pretty complete read. I would recommend it to newbies and novices, though it doesn't hurt for any of us to review and reinforce.

It's interesting to me how 1 thru 3 dominate discussion here and elsewhere, when 4 is where most people go off the tracks. I can't the last meaningful thread on how to keep your head when the market goes into spasms, as it always will. Too many people alternate between panic and greed or just decide they can outsmart the pros...1 thru 3 probably won't help if you don't have the discipline to go with the program. YMMV

Quote:
Because investing evokes emotion, even sophisticated investors should arm themselves with a long-term perspective and a disciplined approach. Abandoning a planned investment strategy can be costly, and research has shown that some of the most significant derailers are behavioral: the failure to rebalance, the allure of market-timing, and the temptation to chase performance.

Far more dependable than the markets is a program of steady saving. Making regular contributions to a portfolio, and increasing them over time, can have a surprisingly powerful impact on long-term results.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Not new, but nice AA graph from the PDF...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.9 KB, 154 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to now share with my young adult kiddos.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Yeah, thanks. That's an interesting AA graph.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
gone traveling

A timely reminder - thank you
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's interesting to me how 1 thru 3 dominate discussion here and elsewhere, when 4 is where most people go off the tracks. I can't the last meaningful thread on how to keep your head when the market goes into spasms, as it always will.
Threads like this help. Thanks, you're a smart guy, Midpack.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the article!

One of things I have tried is showing my kids and other young folks, when the discussion has come up a trend graph (with numbers removed) of my 401K value since I opened it almost 30 years ago. Panics such as the 1987 crash, 1991 recession, 2000 bubble burst, and 2008-2009 crisis suddenly look like little bumps in the road compared to the overall growth due to steady investment discipline. I also used to show my mistake of not saving/investing at a higher rate when young, which would have made the curve look even better. It serves as a good reminder to me of the value of discipline.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Always understood 1, 3, and 4 intuitively, but had little or no clue about 2 until 6-12 months into being an ER forum member. Our "balance" is off, and we can't figure out how to correct it without big nuisance and costs.

At least I did get up the courage to dump loser stocks and harvest the losses, which helped some. But what to do with the big tax-deferred annuity, to which we contributed for 20 years, and which no longer pays competitive rates?

Amethyst
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Always understood 1, 3, and 4 intuitively, but had little or no clue about 2 until 6-12 months into being an ER forum member. Our "balance" is off, and we can't figure out how to correct it without big nuisance and costs.

At least I did get up the courage to dump loser stocks and harvest the losses, which helped some. But what to do with the big tax-deferred annuity, to which we contributed for 20 years, and which no longer pays competitive rates?

Amethyst
I'm just curious as to the nuisance and costs of rebalancing. Mine are minimal unless I start playing around with my taxable accounts and even then are relatively benign given 0% federal capital gains rate (but there is a state tax bite).

On the annuity you can switch to a company with more competitive rates (called a 1035 exchange IIRC) but it would frequently start a new surrender charge clock - or perhaps do a 1035 exchange to a Vanguard or other low cost annuity provider. You could also annuitize it but it might be better to wait until you are in a lower tax bracket.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm talking about taxable accounts.

As for annuities, Vanguard doesn't offer any better rates. The rates just stink, period. Back when I started contributing, it was 8% locked in for 5 years!

I am supposed to be able to get all my money back at age 59 1/2, but then I'd owe tax on the earnings, and earnings are disbursed before principal.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm just curious as to the nuisance and costs of rebalancing. Mine are minimal unless I start playing around with my taxable accounts

On the annuity you can switch to a company with more competitive rates (called a 1035 exchange IIRC) but it would frequently start a new surrender charge clock - or perhaps do a 1035 exchange to a Vanguard or other low cost annuity provider. You could also annuitize it but it might be better to wait until you are in a lower tax bracket.