Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad you have been enjoying your 4 years of freedom! I wish you many more

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While my actual ER anniversary date is 10/31, today (9/30) is also a special anniversary date for me. It was 5 years ago today that I announced my ER, nervously handing my resignation letter to my boss(es). I was waiting for the company to announce its quarterly stock price which was expected to make a rare drop due to the crashing markets. But after waiting several hours, they told us that the new price would be delayed until the next day (Wednesday). As you can see from my signature line, the value of the company stock was a major part of my ER plan.

I could have simply waited until the next day to so I went ahead with the resignation. The stock price was announced the announce my resignation but, working only 2 days a week at the time, I would not be back in the office for 3 more days (Friday). I felt reasonably sure the stock price would not take a huge tumble next day and it dropped only about 1% which was no big deal.

One month later, I was done and out the door, never looking back. But September 30th, 2008, was a nervous day, for sure.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #23

Well it is now official. Today, October 31, 2013, I am now retired 5 years. Actually, I worked on October 31, 2008, so it wasn't really until I set foot back in my apartment at 6 PM after my last train ride home, one in which I nearly broke down in tears at some points, was when I was really retired. October 31 may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it is only a Treat for me!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Well it is now official. Today, October 31, 2013, I am now retired 5 years. Actually, I worked on October 31, 2008, so it wasn't really until I set foot back in my apartment at 6 PM after my last train ride home, one in which I nearly broke down in tears at some points, was when I was really retired. October 31 may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it is only a Treat for me!

Congrats Scrabber1, enjoy every moment of your much deserved ER!!!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #25

Congratulations!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #26

Happy Anniversary, scrabbler1 !!! Do you celebrate the date in any way?
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, what do you during your retirement?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #28

Thank you to those who replied.

Redduck, I don't anything specific to celebrate my ER other than announce it here LOL!

KingB, I have hobbies and volunteer work in my ER, most of which I began 7 years before I ERed when I started working part-time. For example, I just began my 13th year in the national school Scrabble program, visiting a middle school yesterday to give a seminar in preparation for a 4-school tourney next month.

One thing I like about the end of the month is that it is my personal payday. That is, I receive my monthly dividends from various investments which I use to pay my upcoming expenses. It is nice getting a "paycheck" without having to go to work every day or even part-time to get it.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #29

Today marks my 6 years of being retired. And it is the first time that October 31st has fallen on a Friday, just like it did in 2008.

Sadly, my ladyfriend is not here in NY to celebrate it with me because her mother passed away a few days ago in Kentucky so she is there trying to handle the affairs around that tragic event.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #30

Congrats on your anniversary, scrabbler!

Condolences to your ladyfriend on her loss. It's a tough time and I hope she'll get good support from family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats to u ...... & condolences to ur ladyfriend. Glad u r enjoying ER.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #32

It sounds bittersweet. Your lady is lucky to have you, that's a tough time.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Today looks like a good payday in ER. Congratulations!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #34

Congrats, and hope each year is getting better for you.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy 6th anniversary Scrabbler, many more to follow! My wife and I will be pulling the plug 3/31/15!!

Cant wait!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #36

Happy Anniversary Scrabbler!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #37

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.

My ladyfriend will return to NY on Tuesday night. But I just learned of some more sad news. My dad's ladyfriend for the last 18 years (his wife, my mother, passed away 19 years ago) passed away suddenly early Sunday afternoon. Not long after my dad left her place this morning, she fell and injured her hip. That apparently triggered a blood clot or some other undetermined injury and she died at the hospital a few hours later. Tough week

Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on (6) years of retirement. Sorry for the loss of your lady friends mother and your dad's lady friend. Life is short, thus retiring early is grand.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #39

Wow, that is a rough week. Sorry to hear of it.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #40

I didn't make any posts here last year but I will today. It's now 8 years I have been ERed. And it's 4 years since I began this thread to announce my 4-year anniversary of being ER. Four years ago around this time was tough in the aftermath of Sandy and the nearly 3-day power loss. And 2 years ago I was reeling somewhat from two personal losses to people I know.

I didn't post here last year but I have mentioned before that it was in July of 2015 that I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Being ERed has made it much easier to devote my full time and effort to making and keeping myself well in the wake of that 12-day hospital stay in 2015.

And in early 2015 I got myself a cell phone, a useful tool even for me, an early retiree!

Looking forward to the next 4, 8, 12, 30(?) years of being ERed!