Four Years ER Today!

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While Halloween may be "Trick or Treat" for everyone, it is only a treat for me. It was on this day 4 years ago that I began my Early Retirement. I left the office for the last time on this day and took my last commute home.

With the aftermath of Sandy still very much around this week, I am soooooo glad I don't have to deal with any of that stuff any more. And with today being the last weekday of the month, I will soon enjoy my next payday, the monthly dividends from my bond fund to more than cover the next month's expenses. It is so much more enjoyable having my money work for me than for me to work for my money.

Looking forward to many more years of ER including many more spent on this great forum! :)

Congrats on ER four years in. DW went out in May and I'm looking at end of March with a 1'st ER day of April's Fools Day, I kinda like that sound. Best of luck for the next four and then the next and next ...

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012 (May, a done deal)

Congrats! :dance:

It must be horrendous for people to try to get to their place of w*rk by limited bus service versus car or subway/Metro. It certainly puts a different spin on ER.

Congrats scrabbler, what a great outcome for you. Have fun "treating" tonight!

... It is so much more enjoyable having my money work for me than for me to work for my money...

I feel a bit slow that it took this post from scrabbler to get me to look at it this way :confused: but it makes so much sense :facepalm:. Thanks!

Congratulations Scrabbler! I hope the next 4 are just as enjoyable.

While Halloween may be "Trick or Treat" for everyone, it is only a treat for me. It was on this day 4 years ago that I began my Early Retirement. I left the office for the last time on this day and took my last commute home.

Congratulations! What bond fund do you use for fixed income?

Thank you all. It is tough enough in the aftermath of Sandy but thanks to my ladyfriend's place walkng distance from where I live, I have heat, hot water, electric, internet (with my PC, I brought it here), and landline phone I have no cell phone). No cable TV, though. Her freezer is full so I may lose some of my frozen food. Most of it is intact, though.

To answer some specific questions....

T-bird, I like the sound of ER coming on April Fools Day LOL!

MBAustin, I had been using that phrase for years. Seems pretty obvious, huh?

Wanaberetiree, the fund is Fidelity's Focused High Income Fund. Its monthly dividend per share has dropped since 2008 but I have added so many shares since then that I am about even in dollars.

scrabbler1, congrats. You ER'd at a time when the markets were going nuts, so extra congrats for holding on through that turmoil.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself so much. Here's to hoping that you get your electricity back on soon.

Congrats Scrabbler, glad it's been all you hoped it would be! As I've said before I'm a few years younger than you, but I'm looking at the same FIRE age (45), which is why I always pay extra attention to your posts <grin>

JoeWras, actually, the market downturn was a huge help to my ER plan. What I sold when I left, the company stock, had not yet fallen significantly in value while what I was buying, oodles of shares in that Fidelity bond fund, had its NAV drop by 20-25%, creating a special opportunity to both sell high and buy low at the same time.

Dreamer, I got my electricity back at home about an hour ago and have settled back here at home after taking all my frozen foods and other stuff back from my ladyfriend's place.

Panhead, thanks for your kind words and I look forward to your posts, too.

Congratulations!!! Always glad to hear success stories!

Congrats scrabbler. I always enjoy your posts. Similar to yourself and panhead, I hope to retire at 45 (in a few years)... so in some sense your part of my test run.. :)

Scrabbler,
Congrats on 4 years!! Your post remined me of my Grandfather telling me long ago somethjing very similar....

"You will do just fine if the bank is paying you and your not paying the bank"

Glad you have been enjoying your 4 years of freedom! I wish you many more :dance:

While my actual ER anniversary date is 10/31, today (9/30) is also a special anniversary date for me. It was 5 years ago today that I announced my ER, nervously handing my resignation letter to my boss(es). I was waiting for the company to announce its quarterly stock price which was expected to make a rare drop due to the crashing markets. But after waiting several hours, they told us that the new price would be delayed until the next day (Wednesday). As you can see from my signature line, the value of the company stock was a major part of my ER plan.

I could have simply waited until the next day to so I went ahead with the resignation. The stock price was announced the announce my resignation but, working only 2 days a week at the time, I would not be back in the office for 3 more days (Friday). I felt reasonably sure the stock price would not take a huge tumble next day and it dropped only about 1% which was no big deal.

One month later, I was done and out the door, never looking back. But September 30th, 2008, was a nervous day, for sure.

Well it is now official. Today, October 31, 2013, I am now retired 5 years. Actually, I worked on October 31, 2008, so it wasn't really until I set foot back in my apartment at 6 PM after my last train ride home, one in which I nearly broke down in tears at some points, was when I was really retired. October 31 may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it is only a Treat for me! :dance:

Well it is now official. Today, October 31, 2013, I am now retired 5 years. Actually, I worked on October 31, 2008, so it wasn't really until I set foot back in my apartment at 6 PM after my last train ride home, one in which I nearly broke down in tears at some points, was when I was really retired. October 31 may be Trick or Treat for most people, but it is only a Treat for me! :dance:

Congrats Scrabber1, enjoy every moment of your much deserved ER!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom