Join Early Retirement Today

Free Annual Credit Report
Old 04-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Today I tried to access my free annual credit report from Equifax and I got this:

Quote:
We're sorry, for your protection we are unable to deliver your FACT Act Equifax Free Annual Credit Report on the internet. There are a number of reasons that we may be unable to fulfill your request online. You may have a Security Freeze on your credit file, an Active Duty Military or Fraud Alert, or the identification information submitted online may not match the information on file.

To request your Free Equifax Credit Report by mail, please fill out the attached form (PDF file), along with the documents described below, and mail them to:

Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

Please include with the attached form a copy of one item in EACH of the categories below in order to enable us to verify your identification and address. The item you submit from the "Identity" category MUST contain your Social Security Number and the item you submit from the "Address" category MUST contain your current home mailing address.

Identity
Social Security card
Pay stub with Social Security Number
W2 form

Address
Driver's license
Rental or lease agreement/house deed
Pay stub with address
Utility bill (gas, electric, water, cable, residential telephone bills)

To ensure that your request is processed without delay, please enlarge photocopies of any items that contain small print (i.e. driver’s license, W2 forms, etc). To avoid additional delays, keep in mind that if photocopies you submit are not legible or contain highlighting, we may ask that you resubmit your request with more legible documents.

NOTE: If you have a Security Freeze on your file, you must include your 10 digit PIN along with the information requested above.

Your personal information is used solely for identification purposes and is not shared with anyone.
Is this some some sort of crap to make it difficult to get a free credit report?

I have been at this address and phone number for 30 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Unless someone here can shed some light on this, I would NOT give them all that information. It sounds suspicious to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Call them up and ask what it was that flagged your report.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Call them and ask for some details freeze? etc... I run mine about every four months on a rotating basis and have never had a problem getting the information. I did want to dispute my home as a business address (previous owner was a salesman and took a home office deduction) and I was successful at calling them and getting a live person who was very nice about explaining their position, just not successful at getting them to change the data.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Call them and ask for some details freeze? etc... I run mine about every four months on a rotating basis and have never had a problem getting the information. I did want to dispute my home as a business address (previous owner was a salesman and took a home office deduction) and I was successful at calling them and getting a live person who was very nice about explaining their position, just not successful at getting them to change the data.
Apparently neither you, me, nor Martha have had the same experience as Khan. I wonder if it could be a malicious attempt to obtain his personal information.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I got the same message when I tried to get my credit report from Equifax, but I'm pretty sure it was because I mistyped some identifying information to prove I was me (my mortgage payment amount). I was able to access my other two credit reports online as usual.

The address looks legit, as Googling for how to obtain your credit report by mail brings up the same address.

I mailed in my info about 10 days ago, so we'll see if this a scam or not

Droopy
DroopyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I have been running the 3 majors every 4 months with no problems for several years; then I get this crap. The only thing I've done to affect anything in the last year is buy a car. I think I'll also call my congress critter and ask what the ^&*( is going on.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #8

I got the same response a few months ago (after having gotten several free reports last year). Then I realized I had put a fraud alert on my account a few months back and had forgotten about it. Duh.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was this from going through www.annualcreditreport.com and then choosing Equifax?
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #10

I like the secret questions they ask you. Obscure crap you are supposed to remember years ago. One little mess up and you need to walk on water to get your report.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Was this from going through www.annualcreditreport.com and then choosing Equifax?
Yes.
----------
I got the free report from Experian in January (they asked me to respond to a snail mail sent without requesting any additional info).
Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I like the secret questions they ask you. Obscure crap you are supposed to remember years ago. One little mess up and you need to walk on water to get your report.
Oh yeah.

That home improvement loan for the window replacements 12 years ago.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #13

I love it when the challenge questions are all "none of the above"....I have had that happen for a few online savings accounts that I signed up for....I would probably just try getting a report for TU or Experian now since the odds are something really screwy would show up on all 3...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Inspired by the comments on this thread and the fact I'm up late finishing my taxes (ugh!), I went to www.annualcreditreport.com and pulled both my and DW's credit reports from Experian. No issues.

I also wanted to see our scores and had to pay $5.95 each for a report which included the scores. Is there a cheaper way to see your score?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #15

I get it from all three on a rotating basis, and do it by mail only. Makes the buggers pay someone to open an envelope and scan the paper, makes 'em pay postage to mail it back. The only error was they had DW married to someone else - "Dear, is there something you haven't told me?" - but that was corrected with a letter.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been checking mine on a rotating basis from the three agencies. The last two attempts (one for me and one for DW) I got this same thing from Equifax. TransUnion and Experian worked as usual.
Gsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah Equifax has issues I think. They don't like my info so they go straight to that screen without asking questions. I just assume they have an outdated address for me. I will be paying for all three scores and reports in a couple of months so I will let it slide for now since the other 2 have absolutely nothing negative.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

I tried to check DH and my credit reports. Got the same message. What, exactly, IS the ten-digit PIN?
Nancita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancita View Post
I tried to check DH and my credit reports. Got the same message. What, exactly, IS the ten-digit PIN?
Your phone number?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #20

Go to this site for information Your Access to Free Credit Reports. It contains information of how to get your reports safely. Note that this is the Government site for the FTC.