Join Early Retirement Today

Free CFP financial planning course
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Free CFP financial planning course

I've seen MIT's OpenCourseware mentioned before here. Basically OpenCourseware is the entire course, less access to the professor. Apparently other universities are getting into the act as well. See here.

UC Irvine has a 20-30 hr basic financial planning course developed with the CFP board that I found to be well done in the limited portion of it that I've worked through.

I think it would be great to recommend to people looking to get a thourough basic orientation to the subject.
dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used the College for Financial Planning's education course, and the online portion was but a small part of the overall coursework. I had a separate textbook for most of the 5 courses, but the online portion would be of interest to folks interested in pulling out specific portions for general learning. My boss has paid for mine, but I think the cost for my program was under $3k. Now I'm just sweating the board exam in July.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesome. Thank you Dylar!

I've been playing with getting my CFP / CPA credentals . My intrests always fell to finance but was discouraged as a girl from doing math. Yes , that dates me and I was foolish to listen. Now with the kids grown and not anxious go back to my old line of work , (I am degreed in a very "female" line of work ) I wonder if the investment of time and money are worthwhile. (Given my age ) I will be away from internet access for a couple of weeks but I book marked the sites. When I return This will be a great way to test the waters and my resolve.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

dylar-

Can you provide a more specific link or indicate how you got to the financial planning section. I see all the other subjects for the OCW, but not that one.

Thanks.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
dylar-

Can you provide a more specific link or indicate how you got to the financial planning section. I see all the other subjects for the OCW, but not that one.

Thanks.
It's the UC Irvine one.

Fundamentals of Personal Financial Planning
dylar is offline   Reply With Quote