Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a great situation which makes me feel like I'm saving since it's done once or twice a week. There's a cleaners I use that has free Starbucks, so it's a cup that would have been normally $1.90 at a Starbucks. Yet a dress shirt only costs me $1.40 to get washed and pressed. In effect I feel I am making .50¢ just by walking in and avoid the line at a Starbucks. It's not much money but makes me feel good to save in the morning since the rest of the day I will get ripped off at every turn.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Walk/drive it gets you out. There's already one Hermit on this forum; we don't need another.
Eh, don't badmouth hermits. I play one from time to time.

Well, more often than not now. I do not have to work, hence only need to leave the house for supplies. Or I play "hermit on wheels" while RV'ing.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Free coffee, no problem, it's that elusive free lunch I've been in search of for well over 50 years. To date , the " Free " always ended costing more than the meal value. My Grandpa on Dad's side was a farmer and always told me there is no such thing as free.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
It's the hunt, not the meat.
Yes, it is the thrill of the hunt. What I do is keep a list of my little savings, free stuff and bargains each month and I also put in the one year and ten year savings. Then ten year line makes it easier to stay focused on the recurring expenses and income which have a bigger impact over time.

But the little day to day free stuff is always good for cheap thrills. I found a poorly marketed rewards program with low competition where I win $5 - $10 gift cards a few times a week. That has been a fun find.

It has been a slow month for me on freebies but I am still at around $350 in free merchandise, tickets and gift cards so far, not including credit card rewards and sign up bonuses.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
When I was down in Garden City, SC, there was a group of guys that drank coffee at McDonalds every morning. Yeah, they were over there yucking it up. They invited me to join in, but alas, back then I was simply free-loading on wifi for w*rk. But yeah, if you can get out of the house and all it costs you is a cup of coffee, you're getting a deal!
We have a local restaurant here (Martin's) that does breakfast well and it's cheap. A few years ago, they sold the insulated coffee cups that you can bring in and have filled with coffee at a discount rate. On occasion, I'll meet a friend for breakfast and it looks like they have an AARP chapter meeting there every morning with about 30 members..all with their prized insulated mugs!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Am I the only one who opened this thread hoping to find a link to get free coffee by mail (or at a national chain.)

Free is my favorite price. Cheap or on sale are my second favorite prices.
Ok, everybody start driving to Massachusetts!
Fill ‘Er Up: Get a Free Coffee on New Year’s Eve From MassDOT - Massachusetts news - Boston.com
Old 12-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #27

Our local library offers free Starbucks coffee every day, but I still prefer making my own early morning coffee. If I have go out of my way for something free, then its just not worth it to me.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #28

I love freebies and now that I'm retired I spend a little more time on it. In the last year I've gotten 15,000 Hilton points from e-Rewards surveys. Heck, I even input codes from Coca-Cola products into MyCokeRewards.com although I suspect we'd be better off buying generic soda. When Verizon sent me e-mails about some Rewards plan I was skeptical but found that we could save $25/night on Best Western hotels if we didn't mind giving up the loyalty points.

Back when I traveled more on business I worked every loyalty program I could and as a result DH and I have gotten thousands of dollars worth of free travel. So, it's partly the thrill of the hunt but partly genuine freebies.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I still prefer making my own early morning coffee. If I have go out of my way for something free, then its just not worth it to me.
+1 - No way I'd get out of the house and walk or drive anywhere just for a free cup of coffee. But if that is what " floats your boat" then go for it.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Our local library offers free Starbucks coffee every day, but I still prefer making my own early morning coffee. If I have go out of my way for something free, then its just not worth it to me.
Wow I did not know that libraries even did something like this. I have never seen that around here. You learn something everyday. Anybody else able to get free coffee at the local library?

Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote