Join Early Retirement Today

Free health care
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Free health care

I'm sure this will make more headlines and blogs soon, so get ready for lots of comments: Man Turns to Crime for Prison Health Care - NYTimes.com

I guess the trick is to commit a crime with a near certain short enough sentence to get you treated/cured then you are on your way to a secure retirement.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, why not, the insurance companies have been robbing us long enough. Sounds like a good idea and they feed ya too.

Just thinking, it may be a good way to save for ER also. Let your money grow while the govt. takes care of you.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

This reminds me of a similar event that happened years ago. A sickly, elderly man was turned over by her daughter for a crime that he committed years ago. I suspected at that time that the motive is the healthcare and free board and lodging.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

North Carolina has a high risk pool with premium assistance for those with low incomes. I guess he didn't explore that option.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Hey, why not, the insurance companies have been robbing us long enough.
+1, I was going to say that too!

I'm glad that I don't have to do anything illegal to get "free at the point of service" healthcare, I just have to return to the UK
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
+1, I was going to say that too!

I'm glad that I don't have to do anything illegal to get "free at the point of service" healthcare, I just have to return to the UK
As long as you don't mind waiting 6 months for that MRI...
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
As long as you don't mind waiting 6 months for that MRI...
Yeah sorry I went of topic there.......

They say crime doesn't pay, but given the cost of healthcare it could be worth $5k or $10k a year in premiums. Of course there would be a few downsides.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #8

Why didn't he go to a free clinic ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'm sure this will make more headlines and blogs soon, so get ready for lots of comments: Man Turns to Crime for Prison Health Care - NYTimes.com
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #9

The prison system is increasingly a for profit enterprise. If he thinks he's going to be guaranteed treatment, he may be in for a surprise.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

At least this guy is smart enough to get some free health care. Free health care for everyone!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #11

Plus free lodging & food, don't need a car either, this guy is going to banking some serious $.
TJ
Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Last I heard this guy's plans for jail time and free health care weren't going too well. Since he only robbed the place of $1, he's been charged with larceny (a misdemeanor) not bank robbery (a felony and a federal offense). Looks like even if convicted he will not serve much time and therefore won't be eligible for much free medical care.

The Associated Press: Attorney: Man robbed bank for health care benefits

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #13

Rather than committing a crime I'd become a monk, the contemplative life is appealing.......just need a little faith
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #14

I saw the article yesterday or the day before and I thought that it would be a good starter for a thread but I just got back into town and never got around to it.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #15

I was joking with my aunt a few eeks ago. She's 59 and has no savings and concerned about being able to retire. I told her she could rob a bank. If you get away with it, retirement's funded. If you don't you get 3 meals, a place to rest your head, and free health care. It's a win, win. I guess I wasn't the only one thinking that way.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Hey, why not, the insurance companies have been robbing us long enough.
yes, but who funds the prisons? That's right, you and I with our tax dollars. This has absolutely nothing to do with getting back at the insurance companies.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsturbo

yes, but who funds the prisons? That's right, you and I with our tax dollars. This has absolutely nothing to do with getting back at the insurance companies.
Imagine the looks on these "criminals" seeking a free social safety net in jail if the judge could issue four hard smacks from a Singapore canning expert and then sent back to their home instead!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
The prison system is increasingly a for profit enterprise. If he thinks he's going to be guaranteed treatment, he may be in for a surprise.

Not sure about he state he lives in, but I remember a controversy about a year or so ago about a man in California who had a heart condition and needed to have a heart transplant... he was moved to the front of the line for some reason... and the state HAD to pay as the courts have ruled that it is cruel and unusual punishment not to give health care if you are locking someone up.... I would think it is the same in other states....

Now that I wrote this down, I do remember hearing about someone who was released from prison because the cost of doing something was high... and he had served most of his sentence... very fuzzy on this... that is all I can remember....