Join Early Retirement Today

Free Lunch, FIA
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Free Lunch, FIA

Don’t shoot me yet, just wanted to relay a short story about fixed index annuities. Recently got a mail invitation for a sit down and review from an insurance company in exchange for a free $100 meal card in a couple of middle of the road restaurants, Outback Steak House, Carrabas, Bonefish Grill, etc. This was my second invitation as I threw the first away but I thought, what the heck, I would take them up on the offer. I called and an appointment was set up. I met with the gentleman for about two hours and I am sure he was glad to see me go, as I had him explain in detail the nuances, costs, how he got paid, etc. I ended the meeting saying there was too much information to digest at one sitting and I would get back to him. I filled out some form in order to get my meal card sent to me in the mail, he did offer that I could pick it up on a return visit. I explained mailing it would be the best method of delivery. Now I consider myself to be pretty much of average intelligence and the information he presented was very professional but somewhat confusing, reset options, bonus set up, high water marks, cap rates, participation rates, crediting methods, etc. and of course he didn’t take his cut out of the mix as he was paid by the insurance company who he is basically an agent or broker for.

So this evening the Mrs. and I are walking around the neighborhood and a friend pulls up on his bicycle and is telling us what a good deal he got on this annuity he just purchased ! I asked him about some of the criteria, surrender time/penalties, fees, what index is mirrored, etc. and of course he didn’t know, except that it was a good deal and it was insured by the FDIC ! This person is no dummy, college educated, retired early but has no clue when it comes to financial instruments. Not saying he got a good or a bad deal, just that he bought something he didn’t understand and still doesn’t.

Maybe I am missing something here but it seems like the financial industry will always come up with some new instrument to get in your wallet and there are plenty of people that will happily hand over a chunk of cash based on a proven sales pitch.

Forgot to ask him if he got the free lunch.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Cool story, I often wonder what the % is of people who buy these things that actually have any idea what they bought. I would say it's very low as anyone that knew what it was wouldn't buy it.

When I had a broker I asked him how he got paid on a product he was trying to sell me on. His answer was the same, it didn't cost me anything as the ins company paid him. Gotta love it!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did a similar sit down with Ameriprise to get a free "companion" airline ticket. I soon realized that I knew more about investing than the kid trying to sell me. And the "free" ticket had so many poison pills in the requirements for its use that I threw it away.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
...Recently got a mail invitation for a sit down and review from an insurance company in exchange for a free $100 meal card in a couple of middle of the road restaurants, Outback Steak House, Carrabas, Bonefish Grill, etc. ....as too much information to digest at one sitting and I would get back to him. I filled out some form in order to get my meal card sent to me in the mail....
Has the $100 meal card arrived yet?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Has the $100 meal card arrived yet?
Heh, the real question.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Not yet but I do expect it, otherwise a call to the BBB may be in order.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

...maybe that's why I'm married. I honestly think I'm a very smart guy, but whatever the issue/question is, I discuss with DW. She has a tendency to ask [annoying??] right-on-the-mark questions that I had not thought of, and as a result I often have a different take on the issue.
Regarding OP's friend who bought that annuity, it just goes to show that no matter how smart people may be, salespeople are salespeople for a reason - they are good at it.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just make sure the card doesn't have a tracking device attached to it .
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #9

I think the deal with the meal card is you have to have dinner with the broker.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think the deal with the meal card is you have to have dinner with the broker.
Oh, another chance to make a pitch.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something here but it seems like the financial industry will always come up with some new instrument to get in your wallet....
As a lad during a much younger age (and unattached), I used similar words to "get into" an area of the "fairer sex", even though I did have an "instrument" (as you said).

Uh, didn't work for me, either ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes, those FDIC insured annuities are really hot. What are they thinking?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, those FDIC insured annuities are really hot. What are they thinking?
I about spit up in my mouth a little bit, but kept my mouth shut, nonetheless.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
By the time you actually get a $100 voucher, your time invested on the project will put you below minimum wage...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Hey, here's an idea. As a group we could collectively patronize these turds selling these products and take advantage of their "free" lunches but steadfastly refuse to but anything from them. If enough people did that it would be become a losing game to them and they would stop hosting free lunches.

OTOH, I really have much better things to do with my time - like nothing - but the fact that these clowns take advantage of the unenlightened burns my (you-know-what).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
By the time you actually get a $100 voucher, your time invested on the project will put you below minimum wage...
I have about two hours invested and actually learned more about why I would not want an annuity, so not all is lost. After I recieve my meal card, I'll be glad to post the information if anyone else might be interested in getting a meal card. Heck it is for $100.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I still occasionally do the "free dinner" thing because in Paradise, a free dinner is worth more than most places I've lived. The "entertainment" value is asking embarrassing questions of the presenter (also, telling horror stories to my table mates about similar products - see my recent EIA tale elsewhere) I'm surprised I still receive invitations from time to time. I would think there would be a "do not invite" list shared among the "financial product" companies. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I don't get invited to many of these, but if I do I am never the obnoxious naysayer. I have a lot more identification with the guy who is trying to make a buck than with anyone who would give him money to manage. I have met nice people at my table, mostly those who have worked hard and scraped a bit together, not necessarily any more perfectly honesly than the guy who is trying to relieve them of some of it. Perfection is not found in this world.

Ha
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I did a similar sit down with Ameriprise to get a free "companion" airline ticket. I soon realized that I knew more about investing than the kid trying to sell me. And the "free" ticket had so many poison pills in the requirements for its use that I threw it away.

When I was retiring from the Navy I went through one of the "transition" seminars. There was a guy in the class who had already signed on with Ameriprise, was moonlighting with them and was planning to work for them full-time after he retired from the Navy.

He apparently approached the seminar facilitator and made a pitch to address the class and the facilitator let him. In fact, the way the facilitator introduced him, you would have thought it was Milton Friedman or John Bogle whom we were blessed to have in our midst.

The guy was obviously fishing for clients (although he was careful to say that he couldn't have any financial relationship with anyone militarily junior to him until after he retired. However, he could refer such people to his non-military Amerprise boss.) Anyway, this guy gave a very superficial run-down on investments. His coup-de-gras was the "Rule of 72." He very seriously asked the class if anyone had heard of the Rule of 72 as if he had been let in on some financial secret known to but a few. I waited a bit to see if anyone would answer and when they didn't, I raised my hand and explained what it is. This guy was blown away to think that any mere mortal would possess such inside knowledge.

I concluded that if an Amerprise rep thought the Rule of 72 was a sophisticated concept, I wanted nothing to do with them. Ever.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I concluded that if an Amerprise rep thought the Rule of 72 was a sophisticated concept, I wanted nothing to do with them. Ever.
What you should have said was that the Rule of 72 refers to the amount of time in years it would take for your portfolio to increase above the Ameriprise fees..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote