Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What you should have said was that the Rule of 72 refers to the amount of time in years it would take for your portfolio to increase above the Ameriprise fees..........
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Be sure to say: "I got that from an independent FA"..........maybe that will get you more ........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got my $100 gift card today in the mail, good for the following; Outback Steak House, Bonefish Grill, Carrabba's, Roy's and Flemings.

Not exactly a free meal but not bad for a two hour lesson on FIA.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! You're a brave man
Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
Congrats! You're a brave man
I will agree with that. I would choke under the pressure and get the $100 card and an annuity contract signed at the same time. Then 5 minutes later wonder why the heck I just signed that while driving home.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Got my $100 gift card today in the mail, good for the following; Outback Steak House, Bonefish Grill, Carrabba's, Roy's and Flemings.

Not exactly a free meal but not bad for a two hour lesson on FIA.

A well deserved congrats! To paraphrase Mallory: we win free lunches from FIAs "because it's there".

I have friends who win junk off of time share people as a hobby. Not me.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Op's story and the balance of the thread reminds me a bit about the year or so (maybe 2005?) that I decided to attend as many of the free lunch financial seminars as I could take as a form of entertainment. Cocktail hour (cash bar) always preceded each presentation/meal. I thoroughly enjoyed the food, friendly chats with fellow attendees, and avoiding the free office visit that all attendees were "entitled to."

Most of the sales pitches/dog and pony shows were about EIAs and were very predictable and vague. Like I said, entertainment.

I don't seem to get those offers in the mail any more.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I only have been to only one of these. I had fun. The meal was average at best, and the pitchman close to insufferable, but I enjoyed having a glass of cabernet and talking with a nice Chinese American businesswoman at my table. She had already bought several of whatever it was that the guy was selling, and was quite happy about it all. I appeared interested in this, and mentioned that perhaps I might get one when I have the money.

But I later decided not to.

Ha
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I've been to about a dozen and a half of these things. It is really a mixed bag. We can sort out the beginners from the real sharks. Sometimes the meal is very good. Sometimes it is rubber chicken. Depending on your area, you may get these offers once a week. In the beginning I looked at it as a personal challenge--how many free meals can I get in 2010...

There are definitely one or two strategically placed couples who are in the know. They are usually current customers who were invited to say a few words, or maybe give feedback later on how the presentation was received.

I did see the nice Chinese-American businesswoman at a few of these, but she was quite busy.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Cool story, I often wonder what the % is of people who buy these things that actually have any idea what they bought. I would say it's very low as anyone that knew what it was wouldn't buy it.

When I had a broker I asked him how he got paid on a product he was trying to sell me on. His answer was the same, it didn't cost me anything as the ins company paid him. Gotta love it!
[Mod Edit] Believe it or not, some people don't want to put their many at risk, (or at least a portion.) The rates are beating CD's, treasuries etc.. but the catch is it's long term.
So what, if you're long term, it may be great,
If it's short term, it's not the right product.
If you want stock market gains, it's not the right product.
If it's long term and you want guarantees, it may be great. Is it really that hard to understand?

And yes, the broker does get paid by the insurance company, not from the client, look on the balance after purchase. It's not from your contribution. It's all figured in the caps etc, but again, it's not designed to COMPETE with stock market performance. Surrender charges apply, NOT up front charges. It's not short term. Do you think insurance companies can charge no upfront OR surrender charges, they lose out when one bails early, as they're using the funds as well to make this guarantee possible.

Any broker that tries to persuade anyone to buy this is wasting their time. Find the buyers. There's plenty of intelligent people out there.
KRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
except that it was a good deal and it was insured by the FDIC ! This person is no dummy, college educated, retired early but has no clue when it comes to financial instruments.
It's backed at the state level, not the federal, what likely happened is your friend got it mixed up or the broker is new. In my state:
Cash Surrender: $250,000 for deferred annuity per contract owner
Annuity in Benefit: $300,000 per contract owner

In addition to sheer size and worldwide exposure of many insurance companies backing up their promises. Safe as a CD with better potential, um, yeah.
KRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy attending these presentations when the seminars fit my schedule. For a few hours of my time, I am able to learn about different financial instruments, time-shares, new condo and town home developments, and travel opportunities while getting a meal, and many times, some free stuff in the future, too!

Most of the time, the products or services being "pushed" don't fit my needs and I'm certainly skeptical of many of them. But, "who cares?" The folks who sell them are only trying to make a buck and it doesn't cost me anything to listen. Plus, I learn something at each one, so if nothing else, I'm a more informed consumer when I leave. Maybe not a "free" lunch, but for me, a great educational opportunity.
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRobby View Post
[Mod Edit]. Believe it or not, some people don't want to put their many at risk, (or at least a portion.)
Noone likes annuity salesmen who show up here to call posters dumb - especially when pointing out how some people don't like risking their many. Do you have much success getting clients to put their few at risk with you?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[Mod Edit] Believe it or not, some people don't want to put their many at risk, (or at least a portion.) The rates are beating CD's, treasuries etc.. but the catch is it's long term.
So what, if you're long term, it may be great,
If it's short term, it's not the right product.
If you want stock market gains, it's not the right product.
If it's long term and you want guarantees, it may be great. Is it really that hard to understand?

And yes, the broker does get paid by the insurance company, not from the client, look on the balance after purchase. It's not from your contribution. It's all figured in the caps etc, but again, it's not designed to COMPETE with stock market performance. Surrender charges apply, NOT up front charges. It's not short term. Do you think insurance companies can charge no upfront OR surrender charges, they lose out when one bails early, as they're using the funds as well to make this guarantee possible.

Any broker that tries to persuade anyone to buy this is wasting their time. Find the buyers. There's plenty of intelligent people out there.
Even if all this blather were gospel truth, why on earth would you take credit exposure to an insurance company, pay a salesman's mortgage and get locked in for years and years when you can do the exact same thing on your own in about 15 minutes with expenses of less than $50 a year? Voila: Life, Investments & Everything: Rolling Your Own

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #35

Quote:
It's backed at the state level, not the federal, what likely happened is your friend got it mixed up or the broker is new. In my state:

In addition to sheer size and worldwide exposure of many insurance companies backing up their promises. Safe as a CD with better potential, um, yeah.
Wonder what may have happened if AIG went belly up ?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Its not "safe as a CD." CDs are FDIC insured and have the full faith and credit of the US gubmint behind them. State insurance guaranty associations are significantly less financially capable. Details to your heart's content here: nolhga.com :: welcome

- George Orwell

Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Its not "safe as a CD." CDs are FDIC insured and have the full faith and credit of the US gubmint behind them. State insurance guaranty associations are significantly less financially capable. Details to your heart's content here: nolhga.com :: welcome
Always amusing how many people think FDIC is solvent......... Yeah, they can borrow more money, and get Congress to allocate more funds, but with all the bank failures lately, you have about $60 billion covering $ 8 trillion or so in assets...........

Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Always amusing how many people think FDIC is solvent......... Yeah, they can borrow more money, and get Congress to allocate more funds, but with all the bank failures lately, you have about $60 billion covering $ 8 trillion or so in assets...........
Last I checked, you have the full faith and credit of the us treasury on the line. Uncle Sam can tap you and me any time he likes.

- George Orwell

Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Last I checked, you have the full faith and credit of the us treasury on the line. Uncle Sam can tap you and me any time he likes.
These days, I am wondering about that "full faith and credit" thingy........ I think we are about a decade from austerity measures but what do I know? And yes, taxes ARE going up in the future, up to early 90's levels at least, probably higher.......

If we can give AIG a couple hundred billion, certainly we can bail out a few thousand banks........

Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
These days, I am wondering about that "full faith and credit" thingy........ I think we are about a decade from austerity measures but what do I know? And yes, taxes ARE going up in the future, up to early 90's levels at least, probably higher.......

If we can give AIG a couple hundred billion, certainly we can bail out a few thousand banks........

If you are worried about full faith and credit, you should be buying guns, ammo, MREs and a mule, not annuities.

- George Orwell