Join Early Retirement Today

Free money
Old 12-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #1

Free money

I have posted a lot of stuff about -0- % APR credit card
offers. Today, my wife showed me an offer to give us
-0- % APR "for life" on all balance transfers, plus a cash-back bonus for card usage. A minute or so later I am reading an ad for 100% home loans "no down payment required" is what it says. Anyway, money is so loose
now (I am not complaining) that I seriously think a
smart person could finance their entire ER with OPM
(other people's money). I am quite serious about this.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Free money
Old 12-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #2

Quote:
I have posted a lot of stuff about -0- % APR credit card
offers. *Today, my wife showed me an offer to give us
-0- % APR "for life" on all balance transfers, plus a cash-back bonus for card usage. *A minute or so later I am reading an ad for 100% home loans "no down payment required" is what it says. *Anyway, money is so loose
now (I am not complaining) that I seriously think a
smart person could finance their entire ER with OPM
(other people's money). *I am quite serious about this.

JG
With the financial picture this out of whack, I can only conclude that we could be on the verge of another Hoover style Depression followed by an FDR Recovery. That would turn the whole U.S. into Liberals again John.

I'll bet your Parents were FDR Liberals! - Almost the whole country was then.

History does repeat itself and the NeoCon Pendulum has swung about as far to the right as it can go.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #3

Not far enough right to suit me.

JG
Old 12-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny thing is its the right that is spending $'s like its wall paper,the way the $ keeps dropping it will soon be free money,guess they could spend even MORE then!-ak
Old 12-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The irony is that FDR liberals and JFK himself would
probably be called conservatives today.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if chuck's hero John Ashcroft will be up dancing to Clarence Carter's "Strokin'" at his retirement party?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:33 AM   #7

I see damn few unwavering conservatives anywhere
today, including the current administration. I cringe
when anyone refers to Bush and his minions as
"conservative", not only because they are way too
far left for my taste, but also because it means that
whoever perceives Bush as a "conservative" has lost touch with what that word used to mean. Makes me
a bit sad.

John Galt
Old 12-05-2004, 03:53 AM   #8

Quote:
The irony is that FDR liberals and JFK himself would
probably be called conservatives today. *
Not even close! - These politicians would not have a chance in today's right wing extreme climate. FDR was the 'father' of Social programs. Jack Kennedy's views were no different than Bobby's and Ted's (who views are scorned by the right today.)

The right seeks to undo what FDR and JFK did for this country. These guys were heroes in the World unlike 'W' that can't even make friends with Canada.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:34 AM   #9

Damn, this is interesting (if a bit off topic).

I didn't agree with Chuck-Lyn's opinion on FDR and JFK either Cut-Throat, but "today's right wing extreme
climate"? I wish I could find a few more right wingers out there, I would sleep better at night. I see very
few (except when I look in the mirror )

JG
Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #10

Quote:
I wish I could find a few more right wingers out there, *I would sleep better at night. *I see very
few (except when I look in the mirror * )
Hmmm, it probably depends on what your definitions of "right" and "left" are. The pretty basic definitions that seem to work are:

right - wants government to be controlled by business
left - wants business to be controlled by government
centre - wants the government to be controlled by the people

Bush and his ilk definitely seem to be for the control of government by business. Whether he takes it as far his grandaddy (and apparently JG too) would like is another question.

http://www.nhgazette.com/cgi-bin/NHG...NN_Bush_Nazi_2
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
right - wants government to be controlled by business
left - wants business to be controlled by government
centre - wants the government to be controlled by the people
It seems that modern superstates have no room for an old style conservative party, as in the 19th century Liberal Party in England.

In the US we have two competing versions of statism. The Republicans, who are quasi-fascists, and the Democrats who are welfare staters and social engineers. No one wants the voters to actually be in charge. In fact, I think either party might happily boil the voters into soap if they thought it would reward their pet groups.

Mikey
Old 12-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think we are all living in a world that is controlled, either directly or indirectly, by the corporations of US. Why else would we ignore laws, look the other way, or just plain ignore issues such as deficit, health-care, immigration, and WAR.
When the "Boomers" (we all know the power of numbers) quit trying to be ideologues and go back to basic, time-tested principles we will begin to solve these problems. I dislike most Republicans (seem to be mean spirited) and don't trust most Independents (I don't think they understand politics) so that just leaves DEMOCRATS - and for some reason the SOUTH is still fighting the Civil War. The only people that I can understand are the AG folks - they like anyone that will give them subsidies.

I am beginning to think that EU is smarter than us

Peace
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
It seems that modern superstates have no room for an old style conservative party, as in the 19th century Liberal Party in England.

In the US we have two competing versions of statism. The Republicans, who are quasi-fascists, and the Democrats who are welfare staters and social engineers. *No one wants the voters to actually be in charge. In fact, I think either party might happily boil the voters into soap if they thought it would reward their pet groups.

Mikey
Mikey,
At least at the national level, this is probably the closest description of my feelings about politics that I've seen in a while. *So where do you go for comfort? *Where is the populist 'Mr. Smith in Washington' or other sparks of effective change that aren't completely co-opted by our chocolate-or-vanilla 2-party statist system? *I was hoping Nader might have something useful to say, but once you start reading his positions and ideas on implementation, he started getting very loopy.

ESRBob
Old 12-06-2004, 04:12 AM   #14

They are all "loopy". Deal with it.

JG