Free Quicken

Yes. That was announced some time ago. What this appears to be is a free 5-year subscription, which they call a "membership."

I have now installed the package and begun working with it. Everything looks kosher so far. (I say that because Intuit is a pretty slimy company and the guy running the spun-off Quicken is an Intuit guy. So ... trust but verify.)

I'm pretty sure that's a mistake. It will be interesting to see if they honor the deal.

If you go to the same link for Quicken Starter, it says "Thank you for purchasing your TurboTax product from Amazon. Enjoy your free one year membership to Quicken".

For Quicken Deluxe, it says "Thank you for purchasing TurboTax from Wal-Mart. Enjoy 50% off your 1-year membership to Quicken Deluxe".

The deal you posted is for Quicken Premiere and it has no co-marketing banner. I'm guessing that page got published accidentally and someone found it by having the Amazon or Wal-Mart link and playing around with it. It is definitely the real product, but you may find that they won't agree to give you the full 5 years if it's a pricing error, similar to how an airline doesn't have to honor a $100 fare from LAX to LHR just because it was published on their website.

The link on bogleheads is for 5 years. Sounds legit.

The link is to the download page on quicken.com, which lists the price for the 5-year subscription as $0.

https://www.quicken.com/personal-finance/quicken-premier

You all can thank me for the sale, as I just purchased it a few days ago. :facepalm: Actually, that was the Mac version, which isn't on sale.

I'm a little leery that they are asking for my credit card information for something that is supposedly $0, but what the heck.

...And when I hit Submit Order, this is what I get:

We apologize for the inconvenience. For some reason, your payment isn't going through. Please contact us at quicken.com/support to resolve the issue.

Hard to say whether it was a mistake or not, but I have downloaded and am using the software. I suppose they could somehow try to come back and disable it but because it has now upgraded my database and uninstalled Quicken 2016, welching on the deal would be very messy.

Re credit card #, they set up an auto-renew after 5 years so that it probably the reason for the CCN. My confirming invoice showed zero cost and I went to the "My Account" page and turned off the auto-renew.

Got it this morning before the link was taken down. I have it up and running, and adding some accounts to play with it a bit.

I also used a Citi virtual credit card # with a $2 limit as the CC. I've since also turned off auto renew on Quicken's site.

For those who were even quicker (really early this morning) they also were able to get a free 5 GB account on Dropbox, which was free as a result of "purchasing" Quicken premier.

Will see how long this lasts. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of excited little I/T bees running around Quicken this morning trying to figure out how this happened and what to do next.

Quicken update

I bought the 2018 two year Quicken on Amazon late last night, then saw the 0$ for five years and was able to download it (and cancel the Amazon order).
I was going to post the link to the 0$ after testing it this morning, but the link is replaced by 1 year for $69. Sorry--I should have posted it last night.

The problem I would have is having to stop using it... I would not pay $75 per year for Quicken... heck, I only bought one version many many years ago and stopped using it when they stopped letting me download my stuff...

It will be interesting to see if they honor this deal for 5 years... no reason not to unless a large number of people signed up...

I got the offer. I did not have to download anything, just make the 'purchase' for $0. It updated my account so I am good until 2025 since I already had 753 days left on my original Home and Business Version.

Duration: Feb 04 2018 – Nov 06 2025

I wonder if I get downgraded in 753 days? Or if I get a discount to get the upgrade in two years.

I need the ability to send out invoices, and track if they get paid.

Time will tell.

For those of you who think they missed the deal, you did not. IT was repealed...

And some low-level programmer was fired.

We are writing because a recent transaction you made on Quicken.com for $0 was an error.
What Happened?
An unauthorized test link offering a $0 purchase of Quicken Premier was inadvertently exposed to the public. Then, links to this unauthorized test page were posted on several public forums. Quicken did not authorize or distribute these links, and this test page was never intended for public distribution. Unfortunately, this subscription price and term are not offered in our product line up. When we discovered the error, it was immediately corrected.
Because we appreciate your interest in Quicken Premier, we’re offering a complimentary 60-day subscription to Quicken 2018 to make up for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
If you are new to Quicken or use a Quicken version prior to the 2018 release:
You now have a complimentary 60-day membership to Quicken 2018 Premier. At any time during or after this period, you can choose to renew your membership from currently available offers. The credit card you supplied for the erroneous transaction will not be billed for this complimentary 60-day subscription, and it will not auto-renew to a paid subscription unless you elect to purchase a Quicken 2018 subscription during or following this 60-day period.
If you were using an older version of Quicken and do not wish to use the newer version, you can uninstall Quicken 2018 and return to using your older version. Please see the links below for instructions on how to do so.
If you already had a Quicken 2018 Membership
Your selection of the invalid $0 subscription was corrected and your subscription plan has been returned to the plan you originally selected. We’ve also given you a complimentary 60-day extension to your subscription term. Please note that Quicken subscriptions, including this complimentary extension, are non-transferable.
Please enjoy your complimentary 60 days of Quicken and we apologize for any confusion.
Sincerely,
The Quicken Team

Gentlemen, start your lawsuits!

Just kidding. I don’t think it would be worth the cost, and I seem to recall reading that mistakes like this don’t necessarily obligate a company to honor them.

Back
Top Bottom