Free tax preparation software

ikubak

Recycles dryer sheets
Tax Act has free software to prepare federal tax, but you have to do the return online. I don't really like the idea of inputting all my information online. I would much rather do the taxes on my computer. Has anyone here ever used Tax Act? Turbo Tax also has a basic addition that is free. I don't need a lot of help. I don't itemize, but I do have capital gains from sale of stock/mutual fund distribution. Any recommendations for cheap tax prep software?

Used Tax Act for several years now (the authors are the people from the old Parsons Technology Company that used to do Accounting Software). They did have a version you could download that was FREE the past couple of years. I usually used the free downloaded version in the past few years however, this year I paid the $12.95 for the "Deluxe" version. I did not need the State version as I do the State on-line using their free system.

Tax Act has free software to prepare federal tax, but you have to do the return online. I don't really like the idea of inputting all my information online. I would much rather do the taxes on my computer. Has anyone here ever used Tax Act? Turbo Tax also has a basic addition that is free. I don't need a lot of help. I don't itemize, but I do have capital gains from sale of stock/mutual fund distribution. Any recommendations for cheap tax prep software?

I used Tax Act when doing my son's taxes last year and it was very easy to use and in fact captured him a bigger refund than TurboTax. I initially did his return using my PC version of TurboTax but it was still ~$20 to file electronically so I re-did them with him using Tax Act and it spotted a tax credit of $35 because he was a low earner but still contributed to his 401k.

I plan on using Tax Act myself this year.

I used Tax Act when doing my son's taxes last year and it was very easy to use and in fact captured him a bigger refund than TurboTax. I initially did his return using my PC version of TurboTax but it was still ~$20 to file electronically so I re-did them with him using Tax Act and it spotted a tax credit of $35 because he was a low earner but still contributed to his 401k.

I plan on using Tax Act myself this year.

Thanks, I forgot to add, work the question method as it will sometimes find additional deductions that can save you money.

Tax Act has free software to prepare federal tax, but you have to do the return online.

Are you sure about this? I was able to download the free Federal version about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the link on the download!! I have downloaded it and it looks similar to Turbo Tax, which is what I've used for several years. I am pleased to find that the TaxAct free download appears to have capital gains and several other features that I don't think were available on the free TurboTax. Hopefully this will work well.

I've used Tax Act for several years now with no problems. I'll be using them again this year.

I used TaxAct online last year and liked it. I started doing my 2008 return yesterday and was very pleased with the ease of it calculating my capital gain/loss on multiple sales of equities during the year. I was thinking perhaps I would have to take my 2008 taxed to a CPA I used five years ago. I am now confident I won't have to do that so it probably saved me a few hundred bucks right there.

Back
Top Bottom