Free Turbo Tax Premier available on Fidelity

@audreyh1: It just occurred to me that I should probably clarify my "tricky devil" comment. It was meant as a compliment! :flowers:

@audreyh1: It just occurred to me that I should probably clarify my "tricky devil" comment. It was meant as a compliment! :flowers:

No prob. But it's really TT who is the tricky devil. Someone showed me the way through the maze last year.

OK - we found it. But it's tricky. This is tricky like it was before.

1. First we had to click on the link "get started now" under "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free".
  2. Then it takes you over to Intuit Turbotax site. And it has the Fidelity logo. And it you "start for free" or "sign in". But ignore all that. Below, to the right there is a download link. Click on "See Products".
  3. And that's where the various downloadable versions are listed. And Turbotax Premier is free, and others are discounted.

That worked for me - many thanks, audreyh1. Crazy convoluted though....:rolleyes:

I just checked, and like last year, no sign of free TT for our account. Last year I sent an email asking why and they offered to refund my purchase, which they did. I'll send an email again this year.

Well, in your case I think the answer should be obvious.
:hide:

But seriously, I had the same problem last year, and my rep said "Just go ahead and buy it and we'll reimburse you."

FIDO's customer service is light years beyond Vanguard, but it's still subject to the same vicissitudes any big company has to deal with. The local people are pretty damn good though, IMHO.

1. First we had to click on the link "get started now" under "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free".
  2. Then it takes you over to Intuit Turbotax site. And it has the Fidelity logo. And it you "start for free" or "sign in". But ignore all that. Below, to the right there is a download link. Click on "See Products".
  3. And that's where the various downloadable versions are listed. And Turbotax Premier is free, and others are discounted.

And where do you find "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free"? I don't see it.

That link posted shows that to qualify for free tax software you need to spend $950 trading! (7.95*120). That's some expensive "free" software!

Active Trader Services

Trades: 120+ stock, bond, or option trades in a 12-month period
Minimum balance: Maintain $25,000 in assets across your Fidelity accounts
If I click on https://dpcs.fidelity.com/prgw/dpcs/tax-information/ and scroll down, then hit "Learn more about Turbo Tax", I get the "up to $20 off" offer.

Code:
<a class="ng-binding" ng-click="$ctrl.takeToOutsideLink(taxresource.TaxResourceisExternalUrl,taxresource.TaxResourceisNewTab,taxresource.TaxResourceLinkUrl)">Learn more about TurboTax® <!-- ngIf: (taxresource.TaxResourceisNewTab ==='true') --></a>

And it's not like having a balance at Fidelity is doing anything ... the $20 off is for anybody strolling through:
Why take advantage of this offer with Fidelity

• You'll get up to $20 off on TurboTax (both online and desktop versions), whether you are a current Fidelity customer or just visiting Fidelity.com

Last edited:
And where do you find "Get Turbotax Online Premier Free"? I don't see it.
It was on our accounts overview page when we logged in. Look for the big Turbotax logo. And click "get started".

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free - next to logo

We didn't spend a big amount in trading fees, but we are Private Client Group.

Last edited:
Worked for me. It appears they are trying to guide people to use the online version, but as audreyh1 pointed out, the download option is certainly there. Just go slow and read everything carefully before clicking. Same as last year.

It's my understanding that the free Premier is offered to Active Traders and Private Client Group (PCG). I have no idea what the criteria is for Active Traders, but I'm told PCG is $1M or more in combined family accounts.

I just checked, and like last year, no sign of free TT for our account. Last year I sent an email asking why and they offered to refund my purchase, which they did. I'll send an email again this year.
I think this is the right approach. Or call your Fidelity Rep and maybe they can flip a bit somewhere, which would make you a "covered customer", and cause the offer to show-up.

I kind of doubt that those reporting free download have over 500 trades, but that's what the official line is. No mention of Private Client Group (PCG).

Attachments

• fidelitychat.png
    fidelitychat.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

+1. Just did that and I'm downloading it now.

I think this is the right approach. Or call your Fidelity Rep and maybe they can flip a bit somewhere, which would make you a "covered customer", and cause the offer to show-up.

I kind of doubt that those reporting free download have over 500 trades, but that's what the official line is. No mention of Private Client Group (PCG).

Well, I've never had more than a handful of trades a year, but been PCG, and this is our third year of free TT Premier, so IMO PCG is a qualifier.

It was on our accounts overview page when we logged in. Look for the big Turbotax logo. And click "get started".

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free - next to logo

We didn't spend a big amount in trading fees, but we are Private Client Group.

Thanks. I guess we're not special enough, not being frequent trader nor PCG, since the 80% of our funds are in former 401k and Vanguard.

Thanks. I guess we're not special enough, not being frequent trader nor PCG, since the 80% of our funds are in former 401k and Vanguard.
Yep, I'm spread-out between the three as well. But my taxes were done on a copy of HR Block a month ago. And if I get my refund as an Amazon gift card, I get 1.1x my refund amount.

Yep, I'm spread-out between the three as well. But my taxes were done on a copy of HR Block a month ago. And if I get my refund as an Amazon gift card, I get 1.1x my refund amount.

This makes me think, one could simply overpay estimated taxes a lot and make 10% on that overpayment.

Hmmmm...I'm a PCG member and got an invitation to the Greenline Forum but no Turbo Tax offer. That's ok. I use a CPA to deal with the inherited IRA's and the real estate. I probably "could" do my taxes, but I would probably miss some of the nuances. It would be interesting to walk through a return and compare it to the CPA's return, but that's all.

Well, I've never had more than a handful of trades a year, but been PCG, and this is our third year of free TT Premier, so IMO PCG is a qualifier.

Same here.
FWIW, a few years ago I asked my PCG rep about it, and his response was "Oh, I didn't know you used that. I'll put you on the list."

Ever since then, I've had the free download through them. So if you're PCG and don't see it, you should definitely make a phone call.

This makes me think, one could simply overpay estimated taxes a lot and make 10% on that overpayment.
I didn't want to make an interest free loan to Uncle Sam, but my 401k refused to release funds unless they withheld 20%! But glad to make a few bucks back. HR Block only counts the first $500, so it's not an unlimited amount.

After reading this thread, I called my Fidelity rep and was told to qualify for the free turbotax download, you have to have over 1 million in non retirement accounts. The majority of my money is in my IRA so I don't make it.

Leave it with your Uncle Sam until you file an amended return a few years later, and he'll pay you 3% annual interest too!

The Fido offer I got also includes a free state return. So make sure you check to see if that's included. That has some value.

After reading this thread, I called my Fidelity rep and was told to qualify for the free turbotax download, you have to have over 1 million in non retirement accounts. The majority of my money is in my IRA so I don't make it.

Money is money.

I guess Fidelity would rather you don't have your IRAs with them. :mad:

That is not consistent with my understanding. You should qualify for Private Client Group (PCG) at $1M total family assets housed at Fidelity. That includes retirement and non-retirement accounts for yourself and your spouse. We don't have $1M in non-retirement, yet we are PCG and get the free turbotax download every year, among other benefits. I would suggest you call back and talk to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom