Join Early Retirement Today

Free Vanguard Plan - Opinions?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Free Vanguard Plan - Opinions?

I'm 58 retired, married and setting up my long term asset allocation. I'm rolling my lump sum and 401K funds to Vanguard and took them up on a free Financial Plan. Had the phone meeting yesterday and thought I would do, like so many others, and ask for a free assessment of their plan from the experts here.

Vanguard says I should be 50/50 stock and bonds, I was leaning to 60/40 and they said that was still in bounds of what they could support, and obviously I can do whatever I want.

They recommended moving all my pretax money to a few VG funds and blended in my taxable accounts to match the allocation, since they did not want to cause any tax events.

The big picture:
US Large Cap - 24%
US Mid/Small - 13%
International - 13%
Intermediate Bonds - 50%
Short-term Reserve - 0

In truth I held back about 5% that I already have planned for expenses over the next 1.5-2 years that is not included in their allocations.

They suggested these funds to blend with what I already have
Vanguard US Value Fund <VUVLX> - 2% - or Windsor II
Vanguard Total Bond Fund Admiral<VBTLX> - 50%
Vanguard Developed Markets Fund<VDMIX> - 8%
Vanguard Morgan Growth Fund<VMRAX> - 2%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral<VTSAX> - 16%
My other funds that make up the rest of 50% Stocks are:
Janus 20
Janus WorldWide
Dreyfus Midcap Value
DWS Small Cap Core
DWS Latin America

I plan to have VG put some of the bond side in a Shorterm Reserve fund, not sure what, other than money market at this point.

So what do you think of VGs AA and the suggested Vanguard funds?

Jeb

Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Free Vanguard Plan - Opinions?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm curious as to why Vanguard suggested 2% in US Value Fund or Windsor II and 2% in Morgan Growth Fund. Since you're going to use VTSAX, doesn't 2% in large value and 2% in large growth even out to 4% in large blend while you're paying a hell of a lot more in expense ratio? I think I'd just nix that 4% and put it into VTSAX.

btw - why not Total International [VGTSX] instead of developed markets [which doesn't include EM]?

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g
I'm curious as to why Vanguard suggested 2% in US Value Fund or Windsor II and 2% in Morgan Growth Fund. Since you're going to use VTSAX, doesn't 2% in large value and 2% in large growth even out to 4% in large blend while you're paying a hell of a lot more in expense ratio? I think I'd just nix that 4% and put it into VTSAX.

btw - why not Total International [VGTSX] instead of developed markets [which doesn't include EM]?

- Alec
I asked about the Morgan Growth Fund and US Value Fund. Those were suggested for my wife and my Roth accounts. I didn't think about that the two together was basically a blended large cap. I'm considering keeping my current Roth accounts. One is in a health sector fund and the other has 3 ETF in small, medium and energy.

I didn't ask but I assumed they picked Developed Markets instead of total because of my DWS Latin America fund and they didn't want any more exposure to emerging markets.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanguard