Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you very much for this!! I live an hour away from Toronto. (I registered.) How did you find this survey? (Just curious..)
I think a co-worker referred me originally. I also live an hour away from Toronto (east of TO). Which direction are you in?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was in college, I did a coop term at DCIEM in toronto (they did human factors research). They had lots of paid studies at the time but they involved unpleasant stuff like motion sickness and hypoxia studies. It was popular with the students, because they paid well (on the order of several hundred dollars which was a lot of money 20 years ago). I signed up for the hypoxia study but was rejected after one test run (don't remember why).

Every once in a while I get emails from quicken to come into their mountain view location and do an in-person feedback panel. I think they offered something like $100 for an hour. I never did this because it was during work hours.

Now my wife has been getting a huge number of free movie passes (usually to generate word of mouth interest before release). Some of these movies turned out to be crap, but others were decent and were movies we might have seen anyway. Last week we saw the Keanu (the Key and Peale movie) which she loved. And there's one movie coming out this summer which we're both pretty excited to see and we went to a test screening for it.

We've also gotten a few things free on amazon. This is either because the item kept arriving damaged or the item was inexpensive and it wasn't cost effective to return ship it (we complained because the description was for a similar but different product than the one we received).

Old 04-26-2016, 12:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I think a co-worker referred me originally. I also live an hour away from Toronto (east of TO). Which direction are you in?

I am on the other side of TO - South west (tri-city area).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #44

I use goldstar.com to look for discounts on theatre and music events. Groupon also has discounts on these.

I cut my almost non-existent hair at Great Clips. Their normal charge is $15, but they had a promotion last December to pre-pay for haircuts at $9.99, so I bought a bunch.

I never buy anything online before searching for coupons and doing a price comparison.

Bed Bath and Beyond coupons! Enough said.

Getting the Macy's store card has saved us a lot. Their bank is a PIA, but now that I've finally managed to set up autopay, it works well for us. I wonder how Macy's makes any money with the amount of discounts we get for just about everything.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I went on 2-hour survey for $200. I never use to do this until I read the book the Millionaire next door.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I actually did this several years back. I test drove a BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus for a total of 1 hour. Then a week later all the testers had a focus group for 1 hour and just talked about what we liked and disliked. Best $200 I ever made.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

You can get a free Chick-fil-a sandwich, like I did, if you follow these instructions in the next few days(exp 6/11 I think).

Download the new "Chick-fil-a One" app to your smart phone. You only need an email address and password to sign up. Once signed up, the app will show a box for a free sandwich(regular or spicy). When you you choose a sandwich your choices are to either "build a remote order" or "scan at restaurant".
Since I didn't want to bother with the credit card info for a remote payment, I just closed the app and reopened it at Chick-fil-a, chose the sandwich, chose "scan at restaurant" and it shows a qr code that the cashier scans and that's it.

free food
Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I cut my almost non-existent hair at Great Clips. Their normal charge is $15, but they had a promotion last December to pre-pay for haircuts at $9.99, so I bought a bunch.

Ouch, missed this! GC prices have gone up quite a bit more than inflation (base price has gone from $12 to $15 in the last two or three years), punch card program eliminated recently, and there was some other change relative to the "return by xx date and get $xx off" thing which slips my mind just now. But I'll continue getting my cuts there as it's about 3 minutes from our house so I sure would have jumped on that prepay thing had I known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
You can get a free Chick-fil-a sandwich, like I did, if you follow these instructions in the next few days(exp 6/11 I think).

Download the new "Chick-fil-a One" app to your smart phone. You only need an email address and password to sign up. Once signed up, the app will show a box for a free sandwich(regular or spicy). When you you choose a sandwich your choices are to either "build a remote order" or "scan at restaurant".
Since I didn't want to bother with the credit card info for a remote payment, I just closed the app and reopened it at Chick-fil-a, chose the sandwich, chose "scan at restaurant" and it shows a qr code that the cashier scans and that's it.

free food

I'd have been on this a few years ago. But as the years go on, I'm feeling such enticements as a free sandwich are not worth handing out my email address to one more entity...
Old 06-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I stay in a lot of hotels and always take the leftover soap/mouthwash/shampoo that I don't use. If youre nice, the cleaning staff will even give you extra. I had so much, I gave a whole box worth to a homeless shelter.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Ouch, missed this! GC prices have gone up quite a bit more than inflation (base price has gone from $12 to $15 in the last two or three years), punch card program eliminated recently, and there was some other change relative to the "return by xx date and get $xx off" thing which slips my mind just now. But I'll continue getting my cuts there as it's about 3 minutes from our house so I sure would have jumped on that prepay thing had I known. ...
I realized at the haircut place they always wanted to use the trimmer to do my hair.
So I bought one for about $20, and now DW does my haircut.
Saves on price of cut, hassle of driving there, waiting, and I don't even tip her

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
I'd have been on this a few years ago. But as the years go on, I'm feeling such enticements as a free sandwich are not worth handing out my email address to one more entity...
+1
I had this exact same thought as I drove past one today, wondered if I was just being too lazy, or do I realize lunch really only costs a couple of bucks at home anyhow ?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not much free. We try to buy wisely though.
We saved several thousand buying our flooring and cabinets at Home Depot and Ikea over the border in Vancouver. The exchange rate was on our side.
DW uses coupons extensively.
We buy our gas at Costco here in Bellingham--just like the Canadians do.
We buy large items in sales - tax-free Oregon when practical.
On ce a year we get a companion fare for $99 with Alaska Air.
More economies coming, but nothing free.
Oops, no true. At Starbucks, I get a short drip in a ceramic cup for cheap, then get several free refills. Thinking about abandoning Starbucks because they tightened up their rewards program, eliminating freebie food rewards for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

The longer we are off the more freebie things we keep finding. The latest find for us was free concerts in the park. We started going to one series last year, but this year I realized there is one almost every night of the week within 20 minutes of our house at some park or plaza in one of the surrounding communities. Some of the bands are pretty decent local bands. For some of the bands, their tickets would normally cost $25 per person plus service charge to see them at their regular venues plus we'd have to pay for drinks but at the parks / plazas they are free, we can bring our own comfy chairs, BYOB or wine or a picnic dinner.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Same here in central Ohio. Every weekend all summer long, and almost every night during the week, there are free concerts, outdoor movies, art or craft fairs, etc. And at the beginning of summer or late spring, several local papers publish the schedules.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Not much free. We try to buy wisely though.
We saved several thousand buying our flooring and cabinets at Home Depot and Ikea over the border in Vancouver. The exchange rate was on our side.
DW uses coupons extensively.
We buy our gas at Costco here in Bellingham--just like the Canadians do.
We buy large items in sales - tax-free Oregon when practical.
On ce a year we get a companion fare for $99 with Alaska Air.
More economies coming, but nothing free.
Oops, no true. At Starbucks, I get a short drip in a ceramic cup for cheap, then get several free refills. Thinking about abandoning Starbucks because they tightened up their rewards program, eliminating freebie food rewards for me.

Don't you have to declare stuff you bring across the border? A friend was returning from Italy after 2 years of living there. She had the many cases of wine she'd purchased shipped to Vancouver, where she drove to pick it up. The taxes at the border there at Peace Arch were pretty pricey. She still has some of that wine.... Hmmm, I should take a trip up to B'ham to visit her and help her with it. LOL.

When I lived in Bellingham (early 90's) there were only 2 Starbucks... but 5 or 6 drive through coffee shops. I loved that! What a great town.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just signed up for eRewards surveys. They sent me two surveys I could participate in. I didn't qualify for either . I answered pre-qual questions honestly (we are not big consumers). So, no points/$ for me.
Is there a trick to qualifying for the surveys?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Just signed up for eRewards surveys. They sent me two surveys I could participate in. I didn't qualify for either . I answered pre-qual questions honestly (we are not big consumers). So, no points/$ for me.
Is there a trick to qualifying for the surveys?
My "passing rate" is about 25%. I do these during boring conference calls at work.
It's not as good as it was in the past - nowadays it could take 20 questions just to disqualify you - in the past they would tell you after few at most.
Also keep in mind that they "dollar rewards" are really worth only 1/3rd of their nominal value (so $75 of rewards dollars is equal to $25 gift card).
I probably get less than $2 per hour completing these surveys and still doing it, although I have more rewards money that I could redeem (most rewards have redemption limits, like one Best-Buy award per 90 days, etc).
Did some kiva.org rewards.

If you don't mind surveys and want to help charities, typically much shorter surveys are sent as a part of SurveyMonkey Contribute: https://contribute.surveymonkey.com/
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I did manage to get a 'free' hotel room for one night thanks to points.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Don't you have to declare stuff you bring across the border?
Yup. They even took us inside to check it out. I did my homework and learned that legitimate wood products from approved countries are duty free. (Some of it was from the USA!) IIRC, under $2000 there is no duty anyway. We had to make several trips anyway. The flooring was under $2k per trip.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

B'ham is still a nice place. People retire here and won't leave and others retire to BH. Housing is very tight these days. A house on our street had multiple offers and sold for $30 over asking...on the day it was listed.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

BH is starting to remind me of St. Pete, FL.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Is there a trick to qualifying for the surveys?....
Yes, Imagine yourself as a big earner, big spender and answer the survey like that.
In other words lie, and think about all the other surveys you have every heard about and how true they might be.