Join Early Retirement Today

Freebies and deep discounts?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What kind of freebies and deep discounts have you found and use? I live in Canada now, and I probably cannot utilize some of the things you may have found, but I would like to know what's out there.

Thank you all in advance.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I get a lot of my ideas from deal sites like Reddit beer money, slickdeals and fatwallet. Some was luck - I have a friend who wins travel contests for a hobby and we get some of the overflow. I get free products for doing reviews but that was an invitation program. We live in a tourist area so there are many free / discount seat filler activities especially during the week days. We see a lot of plays on Tues, Wed, and Thurs nights. Many of the local cultural venues here are in reciprocal programs like NARM, ROAM, ASTC and AHS. Our library has many free benefits beyond book borrowing - even play and concert tickets. Credit card sign up bonuses were some nice extra income this past year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my airline mileage programs - 7 free flights so far in 2015 and 4 more reserved for this year. I am just getting into the hotel points and will use 2 nights this fall and maybe a couple over the summer too.....

I admit that I hit up some of the free community dinners at churches and community centers around the area. I do try to give a little donation though for those....

My other favorite thing is the public library - books, videos, even music is available! Around here, they all have computers available too for those needing them. Of course the Wi-fi is always free there.
KmmFIdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

I love free stuff. My most used free things lately are:
- library books.
- watching the early morning surfers while I walk the dog on the beach. Even the dog gets freebies because a regular there always has treats for him.
- senior ed classes: enrolled in a twice weekly water fitness class looking at adding another 3 time/week water fitness class. Geared for the 55+ crowd - but they let me in at age 54. You can see the classes offered here: Emeritus Program | San Diego Continuing Education
Old 04-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This year I signed up for a Holiday Inn program promotion, got their credit card, met various requirements, and got 165,000 bonus points for all that. It's going to be good for many free hotel nights.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I like the freebie $1 credit on movies when making a no-rush order from Amazon. I even think I can play the order by ordering something as no-rush with the $1 credit, then ordering something using regular Prime and the no-rush thing sometimes gets included in the Prime package.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

I went on 2-hour survey for $200. I never use to do this until I read the book the Millionaire next door.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I went on 2-hour survey for $200. I never use to do this until I read the book the Millionaire next door.

How did you find this survey?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
How did you find this survey?

They send to me by email listing the criteria they are looking for. I just reply to the email. It's marketing survey. You have to spend 2 hours at their location which is like 15 minutes away.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Fedup. I guess I will have to wait for my invite in my area... ;-)

Old 04-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #11

I peruse living social, groupon and similar sites for local restaurant deals. I never buy a coupon if I wouldn't normally eat at the establishment. I've purchased many $50 coupons for $25. I keep them until we visit that spot and its a treat to not pay anything and know that I bought it at a 50% discount.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing we get for free are magazine subscriptions. We receive approximately 20 magazines each month, some in duplicate. The way to do this is by online surveys such as freebizmag and rewardsurvey, etc. Then, every other week we take the magazines to a local book reseller who gives us store credit. We have several hundred dollars of store credit, which we use for free books, DVDs, musical instruments, etc.

Then when we're finished with those we trade them back in.

Some of the online survey credit can also be used for gift cards, etc. Amazon also offers trade credit for various DVS and books, so we look out at the local reseller for those wanted titles, "buy" them for free, and then get Amazon credit.

Everyone knows this, EVERYONE

_B
Beldar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
One thing we get for free are magazine subscriptions. We receive approximately 20 magazines each month, some in duplicate. The way to do this is by online surveys such as freebizmag and rewardsurvey, etc. Then, every other week we take the magazines to a local book reseller who gives us store credit. We have several hundred dollars of store credit, which we use for free books, DVDs, musical instruments, etc.

_B
Briliant!!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thanks Fedup. I guess I will have to wait for my invite in my area... ;-)
If you're in the Toronto area, CRC does these, here's a referral link.
7933 Caregivers for Patients with Cognitive Issues
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
I love my airline mileage programs - 7 free flights so far in 2015 and 4 more reserved for this year.
Just curious, Kmm, how you were able to get seven free flights in one year? Even the best rewards programs that I know of only give you like 3% net rewards based on spending, so to get seven free flights you must have spent a LOT. Or is there something I'm missing here?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
If you're in the Toronto area, CRC does these, here's a referral link.
7933 Caregivers for Patients with Cognitive Issues
Thank you very much for this!! I live an hour away from Toronto. (I registered.) How did you find this survey? (Just curious..)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered 6 bottles of descent wine for $7 each, but I also get 2000 points on my credit card as part of a promotion. So subtract another $3.33 per bottle since I can redeem the points for $20 of travel expenses I charge on the card.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I peruse living social, groupon and similar sites for local restaurant deals. I never buy a coupon if I wouldn't normally eat at the establishment. I've purchased many $50 coupons for $25. I keep them until we visit that spot and its a treat to not pay anything and know that I bought it at a 50% discount.
We have bought groupons to places that we have not gone to before and would not have gone to if not for the groupon and have been pleasantly surprised. Sure, some places ended up not terrific but the fun of finding new places to go to more than makes up for it.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
+1

I have found that these deals, if used wisely, are cheaper than 'happy hour' prices.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #20

Both Hilton and Marriott give me lots of free nights at good hotels for the points on my cards. Definitely my favorite form of discount.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote