Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did the credit freeze for DW and myself at Experian and Equifax, TransUnion is having problems right now. Luckily in Indiana freezing, thawing and lifting are no cost. Will try TransUnion again tomorrow
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I kind of agree with the point of it being a shakedown. In my state, it's $10 per credit check service for each of us - so $60 to solve a problem I didn't create. And $10 each for a temporary unfreeze. I know I still need to do it - but every time I start my innate cheapness and annoyance kicks in.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never done a credit freeze before. In my state it is $10 to freeze (for each bureau), $10 to unlock temporarily ($12 if for a specific lender only which is weird).

I went to Transunion first and notice that it has True Identity which is its own free product. You can basically lock and unlock your credit report whenever you want to. It is free. You can upgrade but $9.95 a month but I am not interested in any of the upgrades. Has anyone used this? Is there any reason that this wouldn't be preferable to doing the $10 freeze (plus $10 to unlock each time)?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #84
Dryer sheet aficionado

Did the freeze at all 3. Don't intend to add debt, and $10 to freeze out troublemakers seems like a reasonable "investment."
imokurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Actually to be honest, the only way the system is going to actually change is if more people are like Nightcap and refuse to pay the extortion. If the number of fake bank accounts and credit cards goes up drastically after this event, the banks and companies will need to implement big changes or face severe losses. Everyone freezing their credit and having to unfreeze it to do something just takes the responsibility off of the bank or CC company to actually do legwork to verify that the person they are trying to give $50,000 to is actually the right person.
I'm heading the other way.
If most everybody freezes their credit, the credit agencies won't make as much money selling access to your info (in parallel we need to hammer on congress to make freezing free).

Shake the whole process up... drive a wholesale new approach to identity verification/credit history... throw in a buzzword like blockchain.

In the "be careful what you ask for" column, in no way shape or form is the new process to use implanted chips or anything else invasive.

And as always, pay cash, never debit.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #86

The once or twice I ran into problems with having frozen my credit agency accounts, the vendors I was dealing with found another way around it (except for the Post Office when I was setting up some sort of tracking thing with them). I'm thinking with more people freezing their credit, the vendors and merchants, to keep their businesses going, will just find ways around the credit bureaus. So yes, like others said, the credit bureaus may start losing money.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Just thinking aloud. But would be nice if the credit bureaus had something like pay once for $50 and you can freeze/unfreeze all you want. Otherwise, does feel like a shake down.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I pulled my reports and noticed a soft request from my insurance company last spring. I called them up and asked if I freeze my credit, what happens?

The answer: no effect on your coverage or ability to get coverage, but since I have such a great credit score, they won't be able to verify it and my rate will likely go up.

So, add another downside to frozen credit.

I still don't know what I'm going to do. I currently have monitoring for free as a benefit from Megac*rp. It actually works decently well.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting that the hackers are selling this "data", to fraudsters, with payment in bitcoin. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exper...172337733.html

It's a good thing I change my social security number every 6 months, so I never have to worry about this breach, the rest of my life ....... Oh, wait a minute!!

My credit has been frozen for years, but if you notice in they will use credit card number that I haven't used in years. I have cancelled several, but not sure if I have cancelled them all.
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I pulled my reports and noticed a soft request from my insurance company last spring. I called them up and asked if I freeze my credit, what happens?

The answer: no effect on your coverage or ability to get coverage, but since I have such a great credit score, they won't be able to verify it and my rate will likely go up.

So, add another downside to frozen credit.

I still don't know what I'm going to do. I currently have monitoring for free as a benefit from Megac*rp. It actually works decently well.
I don't know that this is true. I have had my credit frozen for years (but info still released w/ the hack...yay!) and my insurance company hasn't had issues pulling info. I *believe* that if you have a business relationship w/ the company, then they can still do a pull. I *know* this is the case w/ Chase since all my hard pulls have been w/ them and when I applied for the Sapphire Preferred card, I specifically asked them if I needed to do a thaw and they said it wasn't necessary because they already had access w/ the current accounts.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I don't know that this is true. I have had my credit frozen for years (but info still released w/ the hack...yay!) and my insurance company hasn't had issues pulling info. I *believe* that if you have a business relationship w/ the company, then they can still do a pull. I *know* this is the case w/ Chase since all my hard pulls have been w/ them and when I applied for the Sapphire Preferred card, I specifically asked them if I needed to do a thaw and they said it wasn't necessary because they already had access w/ the current accounts.
It is "true" according to my customer service person at Amica. Whether she got the right story or not is another matter.

I'm not pulling this out of the air. I called them and specifically asked.

I thought the same thing as you, the "business relationship" thing. Then again, if it is some crappy automated robo-underwriter program that they use, maybe she is right. It is a soft request on my report too, she verified that much. So, I'm confused. I don't study "credit reports 101" for a living. Maybe she doesn't either. She did put me on hold to ask someone who knows, supposedly.

All I know is that this whole fiasco has really p*ssed me off.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is "true" according to my customer service person at Amica. Whether she got the right story or not is another matter.

I'm not pulling this out of the air. I called them and specifically asked.

I thought the same thing as you, the "business relationship" thing. Then again, if it is some crappy automated robo-underwriter program that they use, maybe she is right. It is a soft request on my report too, she verified that much. So, I'm confused. I don't study "credit reports 101" for a living. Maybe she doesn't either. She did put me on hold to ask someone who knows, supposedly.

All I know is that this whole fiasco has really p*ssed me off.
I am an Amica policy holder as well and they have never had issues pulling what they need. But...there are other databases out there that they can pull stuff on, specifically Lexis Nexis which has a TON more information than what is in your credit report. It has everything from what is on your credit, mortgage info and deeds, insurance policies, claims, business associations that are tied to you, links to people that you may live with, links to your neighbors...the info that they have is absolutely mind boggling. The information they sent me when I requested it was over 200 pages long.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am an Amica policy holder as well and they have never had issues pulling what they need. But...there are other databases out there that they can pull stuff on, specifically Lexis Nexis which has a TON more information than what is in your credit report. It has everything from what is on your credit, mortgage info and deeds, insurance policies, claims, business associations that are tied to you, links to people that you may live with, links to your neighbors...the info that they have is absolutely mind boggling. The information they sent me when I requested it was over 200 pages long.
Cool. Do you know if you are getting a built in discount for your credit? She wasn't exactly forthcoming, but implied it to me based on my score. It isn't detailed on your bill, just some mumbo-jumbo they build into your rate.

I dunno, it probably isn't much, and the risk of getting toasted by identity theft may be worse than a few dollars discount.

I think I may freeze, then call them next year a few months before my renewal to see if I have any good credit discount. It sounded automatic. Not sure their computer will dig deeper on a renewal or not.

Frankly, this was not a good time to call them. They are completely whacked by the hurricanes and this breech. Sounds like people are burning the midnight oil.

As end consumers, we may not have much say (but call your congress person). The real consumers of these services such as the insurance companies need to put the screws to these credit cowboys.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cool. Do you know if you are getting a built in discount for your credit? She wasn't exactly forthcoming, but implied it to me based on my score. It isn't detailed on your bill, just some mumbo-jumbo they build into your rate.

I dunno, it probably isn't much, and the risk of getting toasted by identity theft may be worse than a few dollars discount.

I think I may freeze, then call them next year a few months before my renewal. Frankly, this was not a good time to call them. They are completely whacked by the hurricanes and this breech. Sounds like people are burning the midnight oil.

As end consumers, we may not have much say (but call your congress person). The real consumers of these services such as the insurance companies need to put the screws to these credit cowboys.
I pulled up my policies and credit wasn't specifically listed. I believe that if you get a rate "penalty" due to credit issues, they have to disclose that. If I recall, my Dad had a notice of that a/ Amica but his credit was just about non-existent at the time.

Speaking of them being slammed, I see that the Amica page had two banners, "CLICK HERE FOR HARVEY CLAIMS" and "CLICK HERE FOR IRMA CLAIMS". Not great times for the insurance companies, eh?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The opposite happened with me as a Chase (and previous Bank One) customer with several accounts (CC's, checking, CD's, SD Box, old mortgage) when I applied to get a Amazon CC with $5K limit. I got a letter from Chase asking to temporarily unfreeze my Experian account so that they could check my credit. I have a current score of 838. Go figure!

I guess it varies from location to location, unless they see me as a deadbeat.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The opposite happened with me as a Chase (and previous Bank One) customer with several accounts (CC's, checking, CD's, SD Box, old mortgage) when I applied to get a Amazon CC with $5K limit. I got a letter from Chase asking to temporarily unfreeze my Experian account so that they could check my credit. I have a current score of 838. Go figure!

I guess it varies from location to location, unless they see me as a deadbeat.
Interesting. Perhaps they changed their policy? Hell, there really is no telling. The only thing that is certain in life is uncertainty.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Just thinking aloud. But would be nice if the credit bureaus had something like pay once for $50 and you can freeze/unfreeze all you want. Otherwise, does feel like a shake down.
This is why I was asking about TransUnion's True Identity. It is their product where you can lock your credit report or unlock it whenever you want. And, it has no cost to it. It seems more hassle free (you can upgrade and pay for additional features, but I don't need those). I am thinking of doing it with TransUnion and freezing with everyone else.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
This is why I was asking about TransUnion's True Identity. It is their product where you can lock your credit report or unlock it whenever you want. And, it has no cost to it. It seems more hassle free (you can upgrade and pay for additional features, but I don't need those). I am thinking of doing it with TransUnion and freezing with everyone else.
My credit is frozen at all three places.

Did go ahead and look at TransUnion's site last night about True Identity. Hopefully, the other two will copy. I like the idea of controlling access to my credit report myself.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My credit is frozen at all three places.

Did go ahead and look at TransUnion's site last night about True Identity. Hopefully, the other two will copy. I like the idea of controlling access to my credit report myself.
I like but the downside that I see if that if someone hacks me or my passwords and gains access to True Identity and unlocks the credit report then I have no recourse since I control it all. I do like the control it myself aspect of it with no cost, but I wonder if there is more protection with the true credit freeze.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #100

Took about 3 tries to complete freeze for self and DW on Equifax.
Good news that their pin now appears to be a random number instead of numeric version of date and time.
The actual confirmation pages emphasized printing the page and using only the Adobe link to print--only problem on both pcs I used, neither presented a print link. Ended up save (right click) as pdf file and then printing from it. If you do a page print you will only get the boilerplate and not your pin number
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote