Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Have you ever tried this and been denied an early boarding? I usually buy "Earlybird" feature so I don't have to worry about the 24 hour check in. I've always gotten an "A" boarding pass with Earlybird, but this would save the fee - if it actually works.
No, I'm 2 for 2 with Priority Card. Generally I'm good with late A's as long as I remember to do T-24 within seconds. I only used it recently as I had a need to exit the plane quickly for work. They do say its based on Business Select capacity. First time I did it I got like A-13 or so, last time was A-5.

I think earlybird is a sham and have never bought it. I think for $25 its worth to set a reminder email and then an alarm on the day of to not pay. Luckily for me, enough people do not buy it either in my experience. There is a bit of convenience in it, and maybe if a few dollars I might consider it. Even without it, I get A-40 to A-60 ~80% of the time. It depends on your time and route.

I've been using Southwest continually for over 20 years. I remember the 'good ol days' when only a small percentage were using online checkin and would always be in the front for about a couple years. Then everyone kinda caught up over several months to a year during the very early 2000s. Good ol days also were paid 8 RTs for a free RT anywhere. Very generous. Now more people are flying and airlines trying to do a business-balance-beam.
__________________

pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
No, I'm 2 for 2 with Priority Card. Generally I'm good with late A's as long as I remember to do T-24 within seconds. I only used it recently as I had a need to exit the plane quickly for work. They do say its based on Business Select capacity. First time I did it I got like A-13 or so, last time was A-5.

I think earlybird is a sham and have never bought it. I think for $25 its worth to set a reminder email and then an alarm on the day of to not pay. Luckily for me, enough people do not buy it either in my experience. There is a bit of convenience in it, and maybe if a few dollars I might consider it. Even without it, I get A-40 to A-60 ~80% of the time. It depends on your time and route.

I've been using Southwest continually for over 20 years. I remember the 'good ol days' when only a small percentage were using online checkin and would always be in the front for about a couple years. Then everyone kinda caught up over several months to a year during the very early 2000s. Good ol days also were paid 8 RTs for a free RT anywhere. Very generous. Now more people are flying and airlines trying to do a business-balance-beam.
I might look into the Priority Card. To me (and family) EarlyBird is worth it, but probably not for others. We fly as a family on vacation and one of the times we didn't get it, we forgot the 24hr check in. All of us ended up with middle seats scattered. Personally, I wish SW had assigned seating. But, it's better than the old days where people would start sitting down in line a hour before the flight. Thanks for your reply.
__________________

PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,641
On Southwest, only one in the party needs to get a low number, then just save the other seat(s) until the rest board.
__________________
You probably mean principal not principle. Judgment only has one "e".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
On Southwest, only one in the party needs to get a low number, then just save the other seat(s) until the rest board.
Won't work if the others have high "C" numbers. Our flight last week had someone in the front trying to save the Isle and Window seat until the very end. Flight attendants wouldn't have it. I'm sure that's fine if the rest of your party has B's.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 31
Saving seats and that sort of thing, just like security in general is a case-by-case basis. You may have flight attendants enforcing it, you may not.
I travel often on Southwest and have been for years; imo they have the best rewards program domestically. Though for overall, including timeliness, I like Alaska too - but Alaska doesn't service my usual route with many flights.

To make it work with Southwest you do need to be diligent about checking in T-24 on the bulls-eye. On occasion have missed it and got the seating fun-house.

I am pleased with the Priority Card benefits. The annual fee is a fair value for them.
pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
On Southwest, only one in the party needs to get a low number, then just save the other seat(s) until the rest board.


I think that works with beach chairs too and all you need is a towel.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I think that works with beach chairs too and all you need is a towel.
__________________

__________________
You probably mean principal not principle. Judgment only has one "e".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Amex points Montecfo Travel Information 5 10-29-2018 12:14 AM
Only a little under 30 points before the S&P500 hits the 200 day MA cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 58 10-12-2008 07:07 PM
Special 125% "Freedom Loan": 2 points and 13.653% APR calmloki FIRE and Money 40 04-13-2007 07:25 PM
Anyone know a credit card that gives reward points for using their checks? Olav23 FIRE and Money 5 01-08-2007 02:37 PM
DJIA up 114 points on an October Monday?!? Nords FIRE and Money 9 10-24-2006 06:27 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×