Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW thank you so much Rodi for the information, very helpful to my friends I am sure. I will pass along your entire response to my friends via email so they can study at their own pace.
ER1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by er1970 View Post
where is "here"? - just trying to have a comparative idea.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #23

as far as traffic. It *is* an issue. But as retired people they can run their errands and go to appt's outside of the traffic windows.

But - you want to avoid the mira mesa exits off of 805 and 15 in the morning and afternoon rush hours. It used to take me 40 minutes to go the 6 miles from my sorrento valley workplace and home. (In part due to freeway construction at Mira Mesa and 805.)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
If they were Chinese immigrants, is Idaho a good place in which to settle?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #25

Instead of SD, why not consider other affordable places north of SD, such as Carlsbad, Vista, Oceanside?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Instead of SD, why not consider other affordable places north of SD, such as Carlsbad, Vista, Oceanside?
I was assuming all of San Diego County. Carlsbad and San Marcos should definitely be in the mix. But since they are looking at schools, etc... not sure about Oceanside.

There are a few other San Diegans here - BBQ-nut, Lawrence, Nash.....
Old 02-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

OK, I got this far on the thread only to realize that "SD" is San Diego and not South Dakota. (was trying to figure out how high crime and and cost of living were so high)

Crap! Have to stop reading this stuff before I get my first cuppa.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
gone traveling

I had to look up Mello Roos which I imagined were maybe weed influenced kangas from Oz. Crickey!
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I fell in love with the SD area after visiting 3 or 4 times. I think I could have lived there, but took a better offer (Hawaii.) However, I had a friend who joined Megacorp (that's where we met.) She LEFT SD 20 years ago because of the crime (primarily), the traffic and iffy schools. In the midwest, with her salary, she could send her kids to private school if need be and still afford a house, whereas in SD, she was stuck with the schools in an area she could barely afford the housing. She and DH probably earned north of 100K at the time (compare to near 200k now.)

Not suggesting that $4Mil would not do the job. It probably would. But if it were my $4Mil, I think I would keep looking - probably outside of Calif. Nothing personal. I do love Calif., but I don't think I could afford it. Why not find a cheaper spot and then, eventually move to SD or similar once the budget issues are more concrete (health insurance, skills, jobs, etc.).

If I were coming from another country, I think I would need a lot more time to look around this big country to find a place to eventually settle. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't see why it wouldn't be.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
I had to look up Mello Roos which I imagined were maybe weed influenced kangas from Oz. Crickey!
Your comment is hilarious! I reside in California and I had to look it up, too.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was assuming all of San Diego County. Carlsbad and San Marcos should definitely be in the mix. But since they are looking at schools, etc... not sure about Oceanside.

There are a few other San Diegans here - BBQ-nut, Lawrence, Nash.....
I noticed Carlsbad properties are expensive but Oceanside, which is just north of it, seems to be much less.

Vista is cheaper too.

Maybe distance from San Diego?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #33

San Diego is indeed beautiful and wow that weather...but way too expensive. There are too many alternatives that are less pricey and wonderful too.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Reason why I'm so curious about it is that townhomes in my area (Santa Clara Valley) are going for $700-800 per square foot right now. Little 2 bedroom places of 1100-1500 square foot are around $1 million.

When I look at real estate sites, I see what appears to be nice properties in the SD area going for $400 per square foot. Obviously not oceanfront properties but could be tempting way for people in the Bay Area to cash out.

Not sure how much longer the tech stocks which are fueling these runaway housing prices in the Bay Area will continue to rise.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If they are looking for SD-like weather, I'd say no. Their money could go a lot further in Boise. People in Boise are friendly, and crime is relatively low. If you are concerned about race, my son is Korean and he loves Boise. Boise has a wonderful literacy organization for helping immigrants learn English.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER1970 View Post
My friends from overseas just got their green cards and are moving to the US. They are in their late 40s, with one kid in high school. The kid is the main reason they are moving to the US. After visiting many cities they have their heart set on SD.
They have about $4 million in savings. They were highly paid professionals in their home country but are unlikely to find full time jobs in the US. If they move here they will have to retire, which means living off savings and paying medical insurance on their own. They plan to send the child to public school and later state college. I don't think they will qualify for SS, but perhaps they are still eligible for Medicare when they reach 65.
So here is the question they want to ask (which I'm asking for them since I don't know enough about SD):do they have enough $ to retire and raise a child in SD?
I'm sure they can find work……Plenty of immigrants in their 40s here in NJ(most of them speak broken English) and working or owning a small business. Highly paid professionals with 4M in savings can invest a million in a business and can do very well.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oceanside yes. La Jolla no,
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

SD actually has a low crime rate for a big city. We're too laid back to go to the bother of committing crimes.

San Diego County's crime hit 35-year-low in 2014 | UTSanDiego.com

I think that $4M is doable as long as their housing expectations are reasonable. The further they go inland, the better. Also, if they aren't dedicated to the idea of a single family house, they should be able to afford a nicer school area. I wouldn't rule out Carlsbad at all, but the 15 corridor will offer a lot of choices for them.

They should make an effort to get some kind of job to accumulate enough work credit for Medicare. When I was an engineer, I worked with a lot of engineers who spoke marginal English (many of them American born, but that's a different story.) I think that there are some circumstances where you can buy into Medicare after 65.

Also, we have a very ethnically diverse population. There are obviously enormous Chinese, Indian, and Hispanic populations, but there's a Russian community and just about every immigrant group you could think of. Language won't be much of a barrier. Everybody wants to live in SD.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Friends (new immigrants) want to retire on $4M in San Diego
Old 05-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Friends (new immigrants) want to retire on $4M in San Diego

Quote:

The Boise area and just west of the Snake River in Oregon have quite a few oriental nationalities and are well respected members of the local communities.

Why ?

Well in 1942, many of the the Japanese living in California were 'relocated' to Idaho (Camp Minakota). After war fever died down, these same folks were redistributed into Oregon and Western Idaho (Boise) farm communities. After a while, they just decided to stay versus moving back to California, land was cheap, they had farming skills, they had a work ethic and there were plenty of opportunities locally. Their descendants still remain...
wingfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Let's be realistic. Anyone who uses a little bit of common sense and doesn't throw money away should have no problem "getting by" on $4 million. Millions of people live very well on far less than that.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote